Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2020, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 445 times

Advertisements

I am just curious; I know under 1200 calories (depending on the person) is not recommended because that can put you into “starvation mode”, but what if you eat 1500 or so calories a day, but burn off with exercise 400 calories a day - does that cause malnourishment? As I still eat a relatively clean diet, I would assume I get enough nutrients eating 1500 calories a day...?

Let me know your thoughts, please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 12:42 AM

289 posts, read 248,372 times
It depends on your weight height and what your eating so no one would be able to tell you with the information provided.1500 could be fine though presumeing your trying to lose weight.

Old 02-04-2020, 06:05 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,404,605 times
As long as you are getting enough protein and eating servings of fruits and veggies will have gotten your nutrients. Don't assume you are getting 1,500 calories. Track everything you eat for one day in an app like myfitnesspal and understand where you are at calorie wise. Then from there if you are not losing weight you will know that you need to cut calories.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:27 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaqueline1459 View Post
I am just curious; I know under 1200 calories (depending on the person) is not recommended because that can put you into “starvation mode”, but what if you eat 1500 or so calories a day, but burn off with exercise 400 calories a day - does that cause malnourishment? As I still eat a relatively clean diet, I would assume I get enough nutrients eating 1500 calories a day...?

Let me know your thoughts, please!
I think you are following the mainstream diet of a calorie restriction diet and being told that not eating enough will cause starvation.

You need to understand what your body needs for maintenance and daily nutrition needs. Majority of people's diets today are over indulgent on empty calories and not nutrient dense.

For example you don't need a big breakfast sandwich and orange juice for breakfast. There's 800 calorie right there without packing enough essential vitamins. You want nutrient dense foods for every 500 calories you eat it should have 25-30% your daily essential vitamins.

Focus on eating the necessary nutrients the body needs such as good protein, foods high in essential minerals like raw vegetables, fish, shrimp, and even beef or pork.

If you don't get the daily mineral intake over time you will experience fatigue or low energy even though you are eating a lot of foods but they lack nutrients.

Old 02-06-2020, 04:50 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Below a certain level of calories, I start feel really weak, snappy and cranky.

Most people can tell when they are going a little too low in calories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss