Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2020, 09:24 PM

9,018 posts, read 13,875,849 times

Advertisements

Say you have 37% body fat,220 pounds and 5ft 8in. You are flabby and soft.

Can you tighten up and become more solid while still being overweight?

I am 200 pounds,but i am flabby. I want to look tighter and more solid without losing weight. IS that possible? If so,i just lift heavy with low reps weights right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 12:32 AM

289 posts, read 249,575 times
At 5ft 8 and 200 lbs you will need to lose weight, you can't turn fat into muscle. And yes you can still build muscle while losing weight. Start a weight loss plan while resistance training.

Old 02-04-2020, 01:23 AM

3,701 posts, read 2,435,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Say you have 37% body fat,220 pounds and 5ft 8in. You are flabby and soft.

Can you tighten up and become more solid while still being overweight?

I am 200 pounds,but i am flabby. I want to look tighter and more solid without losing weight. IS that possible? If so,i just lift heavy with low reps weights right?
Yes, you can gain muscle.

It will likely be softer looking because of the fat but yes you can.

I gained lots of muscle when I was fat.

As you lose the fat, you muscle will start to be more pronounced (visible).

Old 02-04-2020, 04:16 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,286,428 times
Powerlifters and NFL offensive linemen are not skinny.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:35 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,786,997 times
Fix the diet 1st, if you have too much body fat. 37% BMI is very high and dangerous for your body. Doing cardio and having a carb restricted diet should be the 1st thing.

Old 02-04-2020, 10:31 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,842,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Fix the diet 1st, if you have too much body fat. 37% BMI is very high and dangerous for your body. Doing cardio and having a carb restricted diet should be the 1st thing.
Not necessarily. Complex carbs are fine. And resistance training should come before cardio. Ideally you want to do both, but if you could only do one, resistance - weight lifting and body weight moves, are going to give you the best bang for your buck. For cardio HIIT and Tabata training are great.

Old 02-04-2020, 10:46 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,538,099 times
Sure, you can get strong while being overweight. In fact, I would encourage people to work out regardless of weight status because the benefits happen regardless of weight.

I'm 5'10, formerly 221 (probably closer to 230, 221 was my first recorded weight). In addition to diet, I started working out - lifting weights and cardio. In about two weeks, I started getting definition and I was getting stronger. However, it seems like you also want to look firm and frankly, you'll have to lose some of the fat that's hiding your muscle. There's no way around it as far as I know.

I achieved fat loss by diet and exercise.

Old 02-12-2020, 02:07 PM

253 posts, read 229,899 times
Of course you can. Like someone said above, power-lifters and NFL lineman are not skinny by any stretch of the imagination. Gaining muscle has nothing to do with how much fat you have, however, you should make it your priority to cut to your goal weight loss before starting to bulk up. Luckily you don't have much weight to lose, so you can focus on both a diet and workout plan at the same time. The most effective diet to follow is called a CICO diet, and is when you eat fewer calories than you burn in a day. You can use this guide to learn more about CICO and how to follow it: https://www.openfit.com/what-is-cico

Along with following a CICO diet, you should find a weightlifting program that works for you. Most people swear by what is known as a PPL, or push-pull-legs, program, which can be down as little as 3 days per week or as much as 6 days per week, depending on what you can handle. If you are a member of your local gym, I recommend making a training session with one of their trainers that can teach you the right ways to lift, however in the meantime you can use this article to learn how to properly weight-lift: https://www.openfit.com/weightliftin...e-and-strength

Last edited by DanW127; 02-12-2020 at 02:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss