Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 05:56 PM

21,898 posts, read 25,219,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
There are both healthy and unhealthy vegetarians/vegan diets. Lot people go through period declaring themselves to be vegan for "Bambi reasons" but eat same SAD diet minus obvious meat.

Many Americans avoid vegetables other than french fries, and this includes the Bambi vegans.

Healthiest diet, eat a boatload of actual veggies and then tiny amounts of everything else. Course actual fresh produce costs an arm and a leg. SAD on other hand is subsidized.
Getting calories from broccoli costs an arm and a leg. I use wheat and potatoes for calories along with vegetable fats, mostly olive and avocado oil. They're expensive but not like eating broccoli for calories expensive. Meat is because I like it and it's a good protein source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 06:00 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,411,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
So if the European Union thinks it's safe, why have bans or severe restrictions been put in place in Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Italy, The Netherlands, Germany, and France? There are also at least a dozen other countries with bans.

Are these bans as a result of studies saying it's not harmful?
The bans are for the damage the herbicide does to eco-systems, in particular insects critical for pollination of food crops not for the cancer it supposedly causes.

Old 02-13-2020, 05:22 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,698,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Getting calories from broccoli costs an arm and a leg. I use wheat and potatoes for calories along with vegetable fats, mostly olive and avocado oil. They're expensive but not like eating broccoli for calories expensive. Meat is because I like it and it's a good protein source.
Nuts are also a good source of protein and calories. I worked in one place where we had weekly afternoon meetings and people would bring in savory flavored almonds as a snack and they were always a huge hit. It doesn’t take too many to get a nice amount of protein and calories. I am not vegan, but as long as people aren’t allergic, it is a good snack option. Unfortunately I find that most trail mixes and whatnot have tons of sugary items mixed in with the nuts, which makes them less ideal.

Old 02-13-2020, 12:42 PM

21,898 posts, read 25,219,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Nuts are also a good source of protein and calories. I worked in one place where we had weekly afternoon meetings and people would bring in savory flavored almonds as a snack and they were always a huge hit. It doesn’t take too many to get a nice amount of protein and calories. I am not vegan, but as long as people aren’t allergic, it is a good snack option. Unfortunately I find that most trail mixes and whatnot have tons of sugary items mixed in with the nuts, which makes them less ideal.
They aren't. I like nuts myself, except walnuts which are gross. They're not good protein sources though. By a good protein source I mean something that's high in protein. They're below 15% protein. Say you're aiming for 15% protein in your diet, which is a bit lower than I would, they are what I would call a sufficient protein source. They're only a bit lower than diet as a whole. By good protein sources I mean something higher in protein than my overall diet, not something lower.

You can get them from vegan sources, but I don't really like them. They're also not so great. E.g, chicken breast is 90% protein whereas tempeh is 33%. I'd rather eat chicken than tempeh. On a vegan diet, things like tempeh, tofu, lentils would need to be staples and, well, they're boring. They are to most people which is why you have Diesel's other thread where the office went vegan and muscle atrophy resulted.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/diet...ight-lose.html

Old 02-13-2020, 05:11 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,511,011 times
I have now started eating nuts as snacks to up my fat intake. They definitely are satiating and you don't need to eat a lot of them to get full.

I don't rely on nuts for protein though. Meat is my best source for that and I make sure I also eat lean red meat which has quality iron. My iron numbers are great.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:50 PM

14,568 posts, read 23,096,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post
Well diet is already accounted for in Vegan vs non-vegan, unless you mean additional consumption of processed plant-based substances masquerading as food, e.g. sugar, refined flour, and such.
Not quite.

Vegetarians and vegans tend to be rather health conscious individuals. If you wanted to know if a vegetarian or vegan diet was healthy than a more traditional omnivore diet, you wouldn't take a health conscious vegan and compare them to someone who eats fried chicken every night while smoking a pack of Marlboros and never seeing the inside of the gym. You'd want to compare them to someone with a comparable diet, comparable exercise patterns and type...etc.

The studies show that when you control for those lifestyle factors, being a vegetarian or vegan imparts no health benefits.

Old 02-14-2020, 11:33 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,698,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Not quite.

Vegetarians and vegans tend to be rather health conscious individuals. If you wanted to know if a vegetarian or vegan diet was healthy than a more traditional omnivore diet, you wouldn't take a health conscious vegan and compare them to someone who eats fried chicken every night while smoking a pack of Marlboros and never seeing the inside of the gym. You'd want to compare them to someone with a comparable diet, comparable exercise patterns and type...etc.

The studies show that when you control for those lifestyle factors, being a vegetarian or vegan imparts no health benefits.
Yeah, and it can make a difference regardless- like I had friends where the wife who pressured her husband to be vegan actually had decreased health while being vegan. She developed a variety of health issues. It might have been because she wasn’t getting all the nutrients she needed. Her husband, who has a chronic health condition, actually did much better on the vegan diet and had much fewer health concerns after going plant based. I think it just shows that it is individual dependent as well. Some people can do quite well on it and others not so well.

Old 02-14-2020, 05:52 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,271,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I have now started eating nuts as snacks to up my fat intake. They definitely are satiating and you don't need to eat a lot of them to get full.

I don't rely on nuts for protein though. Meat is my best source for that and I make sure I also eat lean red meat which has quality iron. My iron numbers are great.
I also eat nuts for snacks.
I put a whole lot of spinach in my mega salads.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:12 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,012,495 times
That's what I meant when saying they are accounted for. I would also wager good money that a health-conscious vegan would prove healthier than a health-conscious meat-eater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Not quite.

Old 02-15-2020, 07:43 AM

14,568 posts, read 23,096,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post
lI would also wager good money that a health-conscious vegan would prove healthier than a health-conscious meat-eater.
The science doesn’t bear that out, though.

Last edited by McBain II; 02-15-2020 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss