Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 03:33 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,405,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Maybe some facts are in order:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatty_...acid_synthesis

Pay particular attention to the section on regulation of acyl-CoA carboxylase, the rate limiting reaction in fat synthesis-- activated by excess citrate (derived from glucose under the influence of insulin) and inhibited by fatty acids. …

....Conclusion-- eating glucose makes more fat, while eating fat makes you stop making fat.

It's proven in the test tube and borne out in clinical observations.
Care to post any human studies showing what you claim? Because I haven’t seen any, what I have seen is over consumption of calories is what causes obesity, not glucose intake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Most highly processed wheat containing products like pizza, pizza rolls, calzones, hot pockets, etc are all appetite stimulating foods that causes a spike in glycemic index without the satiating effect of a high protein and lower carbohydrate approach. Obesity is also strongly correlated with lower income levels, and the USDA needs to modify the food plate, it is complete nonsense and a lie for the majority of the populace that don’t work very physically demanding jobs with a high caloric expenditure every day.
There you go. Much better clarifying the highly processed part. I agree now.

Old 02-28-2020, 04:59 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
As a society we are becoming less and less active as time goes on.
Much of this is due to technology making life easier for us.

Old 02-28-2020, 05:29 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
"Freedom Fries", pizza, soda and candy bars at schools is what we want.
I put a lot of blame on the "free lunches" at school. (I am well aware that while they're made available at no cost to the parents or kids, they're funded by taxpayers.) I'm old enough to remember school cafeterias where the ladies actually cooked stuff. Now it's all provided pre-packaged from companies like ConAgra and it's full of crap. I read a very sad story last year about some kid whose grandmother didn't get the paperwork done in time to sign him up and they first put the beginning of the regular lunch on his plate- a "cheesy breadstick"- and then realized he wasn't in the system, threw it away and gave him the default for kids who had no lunches- a cheese sandwich. Sadly, more and more kids are getting these lunches- apparently it's easier for schools to just sign everybody up and even parents who can afford to feed their kids like the convenience.

WTH is a cheesy breadstick? Refined white flour, some oils with trans-fats containing a hint of artificial garlic flavoring, and a few sprinkles of processed cheese crumbs? And then they want that stuff at home.

I'm also convinced that real ingredients are more filling and satisfying than artificial ingredients. Compare a chocolate chip cookie made with real butter, real chocolate and no preservatives to your standard grocery store cookie. I won't eat the latter and they're very easy for me to pass up. I know they'll have a chemical aftertaste and leave a film of grease in my mouth.

Old 02-28-2020, 06:39 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Care to post any human studies showing what you claim? Because I haven’t seen any, what I have seen is over consumption of calories is what causes obesity, not glucose intake.
Princeton did a study where they gave mice the same exact number of calories. One group got their calories from regular sugar. The other got the same exact number of calories but from corn syrup. But the group that got the corn syrup was 30% heavier. Exact same number of calories. So it's not so cut and dry. And corn syrup is in EVERYTHING!

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0322121115.htm

Old 02-28-2020, 11:43 PM

289 posts, read 248,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Princeton did a study where they gave mice the same exact number of calories. One group got their calories from regular sugar. The other got the same exact number of calories but from corn syrup. But the group that got the corn syrup was 30% heavier. Exact same number of calories. So it's not so cut and dry. And corn syrup is in EVERYTHING!

Experiments in mice OMG

Old 02-29-2020, 06:00 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
Quote:
Princeton did a study where they gave mice the same exact number of calories. One group got their calories from regular sugar. The other got the same exact number of calories but from corn syrup. But the group that got the corn syrup was 30% heavier. Exact same number of calories. So it's not so cut and dried. And corn syrup is in EVERYTHING!
I once asked a doctor whose opinion I respected what he thought of high-fructose corn syrup. He said, "I think there are some things the human body isn't meant to handle". I know some corn syrups are not high-fructose (or at least the label doesn't say so), but I do try to avoid it and you're right, corn syrup is in everything. I read labels and make a lot of my own food from scratch to avoid it.

Old 02-29-2020, 06:31 AM

Quote:

A couple issues here:

First, why post a rat study when we already have human studies on HFCS?

Second, there is no valid reason for HFCS to be any different than sucrose in the way that it affects your body. They are both nearly identical in their composition, containing roughly half fructose and half glucose. They are both nearly identical in the way they are metabolized by your body. There is no practical difference between the two as far as your body is concerned. Now, I’m not saying that you should go out and consume all the HFCS that you want. The point is that there is nothing uniquely “bad” about HFCS compared to regular sugar. HFCS is not uniquely responsible for weight gain and the data has been shown for this in HUMANS.

Third, you may want to actually READ the study. There are flaws with this study. If you look at experiment 1 the rats who got HFCS for 12 hours gained significantly more weight than the other 3 groups. However, there is a problem with these results. If the rats fed HFCS for 12 hours gained more weight, why didn’t the rats fed HFCS for 24 hours also gain more weight? They got HFCS for a full 12 hours more, yet didn’t gain more weight? How is this possible, and the researchers didn't even try to explain this.

Then in experiment 2, the female rats fed HFCS for 24 hours a day gained significantly more weight than the other groups. Now compare these results to the chart for Experiment 1 earlier. Do you see the disparity?

In Experiment 1, the rats fed HFCS for 12 hours per day gained the most weight. However, in Experiment 2, the rats fed HFCS for 24 hours per day gained the most weight, and the female rats fed HFCS for 12 hours didn’t gain any more weight than the other groups. Why did the 12-hour group gain the most weight in one experiment, but the 24-hour group gain the most weight in a nearly identical experiment? And again the researchers did not address this.

Old 02-29-2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I once asked a doctor whose opinion I respected what he thought of high-fructose corn syrup. He said, "I think there are some things the human body isn't meant to handle". I know some corn syrups are not high-fructose (or at least the label doesn't say so), but I do try to avoid it and you're right, corn syrup is in everything. I read labels and make a lot of my own food from scratch to avoid it.
Probably wouldn't take nutritional advice from a general practitioner. Do you know they get very little nutrition education in school?

Old 02-29-2020, 08:08 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
1984-85 I started having extreme medical issues, severe pains, numbness, etc. Did all sorts of testing and my doctors determined I couldn't handle corn syrups any more. I gave up soft drinks and have been drinking water and black coffee ever since. All those issues went away almost immediately. I cook from scratch as well. I usually avoid corn too, just don't want a repeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss