Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 08:10 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I think the advantage of keto and intermittent fasting is that they make calorie restriction easier.

But you still have to be aware of your intake. Just doing keto or IM without knowing how many calories you are taking in is not going to help if you still overeat.
I think the terms keto and intermittent fasting are still confusing to many people. Our body uses carbs and fat for energy. It prefers to use glucose/carbs and stores fat for a rainy day. Once the carbs is used up, the body burns fat for energy. When the body is using fat for energy, it is in the state of ketosis. There are more than one ways to achieve ketosis. The keto diet is just one. These are ways to achieve ketosis, or fat burning:

1. Exercise: doing something long enough to burn off the carbs and tap into the fat reserve. Marathon runners, for example, achieve ketosis after they burn off carbs and start burning fat.

2. Fasting: It takes the body about 8 hours to burn off stored glucose and about 12 hours to start burning fat, or entering ketosis.

3. Nutritional ketosis: this is common known as the keto diet or lifestyle. If we remember that without carbs, the body burns fat for energy. The keto lifestyle, unlike the other two methods, restricts carbs consumption so that the body is burning fat all the time.

As we can see, all these methods work for achieving ketosis (fat burning).

This is not something new or strange. Thousand of years ago, our ancestors achieved ketosis (fat burning) when they worked hard for hours everyday on the fields.

I have to admit that I was wrong about something. I used to think that it is just calorie in vs calorie out until I learned that different foods have different effects on insulin production in the body. We all know that 1,000 calories of highly processed junk food is not the same as 1,000 calories of natural whole food. Once I dropped this dated concept of caloric intake, I was able to take control of my life and improve my diet.

I am now on the 5th month of my journey to better health. I have lost 40lbs and have shrunk my waistline from 41'' to 29''. My bio markers have improved also. I wish the OP and anyone else good health too.

Last edited by davidt1; 03-28-2020 at 08:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 11:10 AM

289 posts, read 248,441 times
Would not recommend Keto for weight loss evidence is not there to back up the claims.

Seidelmann recently published a massive, blockbuster global study of the eating patterns of more than 447,000 people around the world.

What she discovered - and what is probably not a huge surprise - is that no matter where you live or what your daily diet is like, banning entire food groups and thinking you can cheat your way into good health might work for a while, but it could also send you into an early grave.

The popular ketogenic diet, which involves strictly limiting carbs to less than 50 grams a day (that's no more than two apples' worth) and subsisting primarily on high-fat foods, is one of those restrictive diets that could have harmful long-term consequences.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...135-X/fulltext

https://www.businessinsider.com/amou...18-8?r=US&IR=T

https://www.sciencealert.com/huge-st...-for-long-term

Old 03-28-2020, 11:23 AM

962 posts, read 612,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalmike View Post
Would not recommend Keto for weight loss evidence is not there to back up the claims.

Seidelmann recently published a massive, blockbuster global study of the eating patterns of more than 447,000 people around the world.

What she discovered - and what is probably not a huge surprise - is that no matter where you live or what your daily diet is like, banning entire food groups and thinking you can cheat your way into good health might work for a while, but it could also send you into an early grave.

The popular ketogenic diet, which involves strictly limiting carbs to less than 50 grams a day (that's no more than two apples' worth) and subsisting primarily on high-fat foods, is one of those restrictive diets that could have harmful long-term consequences.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...135-X/fulltext

https://www.businessinsider.com/amou...18-8?r=US&IR=T

https://www.sciencealert.com/huge-st...-for-long-term
Yep. I was a "keto guy", and did lose some weight. But I did some further research at the urging of my doctor.

What I found scared the hell out of me.

I switched to fruits & veggies, whole grain, beans, nuts & seeds. Nutritional excellence.

Feel better. Lost additional 15 lbs. Currently at my ideal weight- no noticeable body fat. Blood work better than ever. Stopped taking blood pressure meds (111/71), and stopped cholesterol meds too. Completely drug-free.

Old 03-30-2020, 02:23 AM

2 posts, read 1,900 times
Yeah, I agree with the intermittent fasting thing. Fast with liquids (tea/coffee/water/protein shakes) and then have a window in which you eat and exercise.
A nice way to use the weight-checking thing is if you know you're maintaining your muscle (no gains), then you just eat consistently for a week, weigh in and check if you went up or down. Then just adjust your meals by 15%, eat that consistently for a week, weigh in again, and so on.....

Old 04-05-2020, 02:01 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
Yep. I was a "keto guy", and did lose some weight. But I did some further research at the urging of my doctor.

What I found scared the hell out of me.

I switched to fruits & veggies, whole grain, beans, nuts & seeds. Nutritional excellence.

Feel better. Lost additional 15 lbs. Currently at my ideal weight- no noticeable body fat. Blood work better than ever. Stopped taking blood pressure meds (111/71), and stopped cholesterol meds too. Completely drug-free.
Frank, are you following a book or website on how to do this? I am interested in trying it.

Thanks

Old 04-05-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Frank, are you following a book or website on how to do this? I am interested in trying it.

Thanks
Sure Jasper, I read several books on the subject:

Check out authors:
Joel Fuhrman
Michael Greger

I was previous a "keto guy". So glad I switched- I've never felt better. Absolutely incredible; it's a real fountain of youth.

The first week was really hard. Glad I was highly motivated and convinced it was the way to go, otherwise I would have never made it.

Good luck, and let me know.

Old 04-05-2020, 02:29 PM

And check out, "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" on youtube. It's very entertaining, and motivational.

I don't do any juicing right now, but that may be a good way to get started.

Again, good luck Jasper

Old 04-17-2020, 02:08 AM

3 posts, read 2,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
I've put back on about 25 lbs since I broke my arm/wrist 6 months ago. Now I'm not able to really lift any weights but that is no excuse because I can still do cardio. I've tried to go running outside, I've tried to eat less. Recently I've tried to go for walks and bike riding which is so low intensity it doesn't do nothing to my weight. I have no idea how to help myself get back in the groove of hitting the gym and stop eating food. I've tried every diet in the book. My blood work was really bad that I was turning borderline diabetic eating all the ice cream and carbs every night and not being able to hold myself back.

Looking for help!!!!
have you try taking a weight loss shake?

Old 04-17-2020, 01:28 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,412,379 times
Thanks for everyone's input. I found a way that works for me. Please follow on the other post "Juicing Day 1."

Old 04-21-2020, 09:16 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
When you look at the major diet groups: keto*; paleo; vegan; vegetarian; DASH; Mediterranean; low carb*, gluten free*, etc. you will find anecdotal testimony claiming weight loss. However, all of these diets have three things in common: they promote eating whole foods and shun processed foods or at least heavily processed foods; they all likely increase the amount of fiber in your diet (more fruits and vegetables than you are likely used to eating, even on keto and paleo; cutting out processed foods generally leads to a calorie deficiency in and of itself.

There are exceptions, gluten free, and sometimes low carb, sees dieters buy gluten free and low carb substitutes. These gluten free products can be good or bad depending on the manufacturer as some will attempt to make GF products that have the same taste and texture as the real thing, so more additives and food science trickery. Low carb, can also see food science lend a heavy hand and result in highly processed food items. With keto, you're really not supposed to eat bacon all day like some may think (and, likely a draw to this diet).

So it is no wonder why people lose weight on these diets.

Hunger is controlled by your brain. Not your conscious mind, but the parts of the brain that you have no control over. That's why will power ultimately does not work.

Intuitive eating combined with more movement is the best strategy. Simply eat something when you feel hungry and stop when you no longer feel hungry. That doesn't mean to continue to eat until you are full, just to stop when you no longer feel hunger and to not eat when you do not feel hunger other than to sample something here or there.

Movement is pretty much anything but do not discount the power of a good, simple, walk. You do not have to run, lift weights, do cardio, etc. unless you want that that body type. Movement needs to spread out throughout the day, day in day out. Hitting the gym once per day doesn't work in the long run in particular if you are otherwise sedentary the rest of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
People just don't realize the caloric values of food these days. If you eat a muffin or a bagel, you would have to run 3 hours straight to burn the calories off and I doubt you are capable of burning the calories a single day without doing a marathon. Olympic swimmers burn over 1000 calories a day with 2 hours of training. But it takes an adult just 30mins to eat 2000 calories.

Keto and intermitten fasting are the best combo for weight loss. I've lost over 25 pounds in just 3 months without hard exercise. Just eat when I need to and don't feel hungry at all. Cardio can actually speed weight loss if you are on keto once you are fully using keto.
Olympic swimmers consume 3K+ calories a day, though.

I am an avid hiker, and those in the long-distance hiking community will eventually consume 5K+ calories per on long trials such as AT, CDT, and PCT. Most only lose a few pounds in the end. You begin to crave strange food combinations and... sugar. Snickers are popular, so are Pop Tarts and Skittles, all day. Drinking olive oil (best bang for buck calorie to gram ratio) is also common, too. All we do is walk for 5 - 10+ hours per day with the gear on our backs, day in and day out. When it is said and done, the urge to keep moving is strong and returning to a normal American way of life is met with frustration and depression. But walking five miles to a grocery store is no brainer and the thought of driving leads to a question of why, no matter how sore one may be. Of course, when you body is used to burning through 5K calories a day and you all of a sudden are back in your office, sitting on your behind during your commute, and sitting at home or a bar, the weight piles on quickly.

There are people who practice the keto or paleo diets in this community as well as veganism and everything in between. In the end, everyone ends up the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
I normally have 2 sunny side up with 2 daves killerbread toast which now I've cut down to 1. No mid day snack. Around 5 I eat like 250 cals worth of whole wheat bread with a stew or something. Sometimes I'll do rice. But my overall calories stay under like 2000 and my maintenance calories are 2500. I really don't get why I don't lose weight. Maybe dairy makes me fat? I'd never know because I've been consuming that all my life. I love cheese, milk, yogurt and stuff. Maybe I can try and eliminate all dairy products from my diet which includes eggs, milk, yogurt, cheese. See how I do for 2 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalmike View Post
Once your glycogen stores are full, your body stores excess calories from carbohydrate as fat. Excess calories from fat and protein intake get stored as fat in the body as well
A fact lost on most, it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I think the terms keto and intermittent fasting are still confusing to many people. Our body uses carbs and fat for energy. It prefers to use glucose/carbs and stores fat for a rainy day. Once the carbs is used up, the body burns fat for energy. When the body is using fat for energy, it is in the state of ketosis. There are more than one ways to achieve ketosis.
Right, but also when fat is used up, or getting close to it, you start to break down muscle for the source of energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss