Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 01:56 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Caloric restriction doesn't work because people can't follow it.

If you follow calorie restrictions you can only eat a small cup of milk and an apple for breakfast because that's already 250 calories. That's already 1 hour of running to burn it off. You'll end up craving for more food and result is people not feeling full and needing a big meal for lunch or dinner and break the calorie limit diet.

People who run a lot get into a bad cycle of endless running and eating. Everytime you finish running you burn 300-500 calories but you are tired and need more energy so you consume 1500 calories of food such as a sandwich/drink/snack. You end up gaining more weight because running makes you lose energy and you cannot subtract the calories with the foods you eat to refuel energy.

With Intermittent fasting you work on letting the body burn fat for energy and reducing the insulin response which causes hunger. Keto diet goes hand in hand with IF because you can eat foods that do not get stored as fat and leads to much satisfied meals.

I eat only 1~1.5 meal a day and I lost over 35lbs on Keto in 6 months. I don't give a damn about calories because the foods I eat do not get stored as body fat. I never feel hungry for lunch until late afternoon and I eat one satisfying meal every night.

Calorie counting is the reason people put on more weight, they can't feel satisfied with eating tiny portions every meal.
I lost weight and kept it off through calorie restriction. I lost 40 pounds in 6 months and that was 12 years ago. I eat whatever I want at any time of day I choose. I just make smart food decisions. I also exercise.

Something important to remember is what works for you may not work for someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 02:30 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Structure and discipline is a good place to start.

Pick the things you KNOW are very crummy in your diet, such as empty-calories that you get from drinks, ditch those first.

3 meals a day and no snacking, with a reasonably extended period of no eating between last-meal and first-meal, that is another area that should give most people some weight loss/health improvements.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:28 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,412,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Structure and discipline is a good place to start.

Pick the things you KNOW are very crummy in your diet, such as empty-calories that you get from drinks, ditch those first.

3 meals a day and no snacking, with a reasonably extended period of no eating between last-meal and first-meal, that is another area that should give most people some weight loss/health improvements.
I normally have 2 sunny side up with 2 daves killerbread toast which now I've cut down to 1. No mid day snack. Around 5 I eat like 250 cals worth of whole wheat bread with a stew or something. Sometimes I'll do rice. But my overall calories stay under like 2000 and my maintenance calories are 2500. I really don't get why I don't lose weight. Maybe dairy makes me fat? I'd never know because I've been consuming that all my life. I love cheese, milk, yogurt and stuff. Maybe I can try and eliminate all dairy products from my diet which includes eggs, milk, yogurt, cheese. See how I do for 2 weeks.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:34 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
I normally have 2 sunny side up with 2 daves killerbread toast which now I've cut down to 1. No mid day snack. Around 5 I eat like 250 cals worth of whole wheat bread with a stew or something. Sometimes I'll do rice. But my overall calories stay under like 2000 and my maintenance calories are 2500. I really don't get why I don't lose weight. Maybe dairy makes me fat? I'd never know because I've been consuming that all my life. I love cheese, milk, yogurt and stuff. Maybe I can try and eliminate all dairy products from my diet which includes eggs, milk, yogurt, cheese. See how I do for 2 weeks.
You just proved why many including me are ignoring calories. It doesn't work while some people claim it does work for them. I say it doesn't work and you know even by restricting yourself you aren't losing weight.

It's an outdated way of dieting because it focus on eating a precise amount and depends on age and metabolism. By simply stretching out your meals and eating less frequent your body has more time to digest the food and burn fat. Body fat burning requires that your body doesn't have any stored energy such as sugar and carb foods. Because each piece of bread takes about an hour of running to burn, if you're not running. Then it takes hours of rests without eating to burn the carbs before the body can switch to fat burning. If you're eating processed dairy it's pretty high in sugar. If you are the type of person that likes to eat and not limit to like a small portion every meal then learn about fasting and eat the foods that don't trigger insulin and say goodbye to calorie counting. That's my last advice to you before all the calorie counting folks keep pushing theirs.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:46 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,412,379 times
Quote:
You just proved why many including me are ignoring calories. It doesn't work while some people claim it does work for them. I say it doesn't work and you know even by restricting yourself you aren't losing weight.

It's an outdated way of dieting because it focus on eating a precise amount and depends on age and metabolism. By simply stretching out your meals and eating less frequent your body has more time to digest the food and burn fat. Body fat burning requires that your body doesn't have any stored energy such as sugar and carb foods. Because each piece of bread takes about an hour of running to burn, if you're not running. Then it takes hours of rests without eating to burn the carbs before the body can switch to fat burning. If you're eating processed dairy it's pretty high in sugar. If you are the type of person that likes to eat and not limit to like a small portion every meal then learn about fasting and eat the foods that don't trigger insulin and say goodbye to calorie counting. That's my last advice to you before all the calorie counting folks keep pushing theirs.
Intermittent fasting worked for me before and it required me to limit my carb intake throughout the day. This required me to start fasting at like 5 pm till possibly 1 pm the next day. It made me loose the weight sure but the late night cravings were killing me. I lost weight doing this without working out much.

Maybe I can try that again but where is the will power hiding. My bad habits outrunning my will power.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:58 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
I've put back on about 25 lbs since I broke my arm/wrist 6 months ago. Now I'm not able to really lift any weights but that is no excuse because I can still do cardio. I've tried to go running outside, I've tried to eat less. Recently I've tried to go for walks and bike riding which is so low intensity it doesn't do nothing to my weight. I have no idea how to help myself get back in the groove of hitting the gym and stop eating food. I've tried every diet in the book. My blood work was really bad that I was turning borderline diabetic eating all the ice cream and carbs every night and not being able to hold myself back.

Looking for help!!!!
I found that a high-fiber diet makes a huge different. I used to work out and burn 800 calories daily on the elliptical machine. But I didn't lose weight. I actually gained a few pounds. Thin coworkers still "fat-shamed" me.

But I went to graduate school to study public health. I listened to many lectures by physicians, allied health, etc. about preventing diabetes, heart disease, etc. I figured out that the high-fiber meals would probably work in my case. It did.

So, "high-fiber" generally means fruits and vegetables. I try to eat a fruit at almost every meal. I also get those "fiber bars" by the granola food. I also eat low-cal popcorn or those walnuts that come in 100-cal packs.

I still exercise though. I went down one pant size without trying. One former coworker who had "fat-shamed" saw me a few years later after and remarked I had lost a lot of weight. That 's another thing - a slow weight loss makes you look thinner than a rapid weght loss of more lbs. In th elatter you just lose muscle mass. In the former you lose a lot of volume of fat but keep the muscle mass.

Old 03-26-2020, 01:12 AM

289 posts, read 248,441 times
Quote:
Caloric restriction doesn't work because people can't follow it.

If you follow calorie restrictions you can only eat a small cup of milk and an apple for breakfast because that's already 250 calories. That's already 1 hour of running to burn it off. You'll end up craving for more food and result is people not feeling full and needing a big meal for lunch or dinner and break the calorie limit diet.

People who run a lot get into a bad cycle of endless running and eating. Everytime you finish running you burn 300-500 calories but you are tired and need more energy so you consume 1500 calories of food such as a sandwich/drink/snack. You end up gaining more weight because running makes you lose energy and you cannot subtract the calories with the foods you eat to refuel energy.

With Intermittent fasting you work on letting the body burn fat for energy and reducing the insulin response which causes hunger. Keto diet goes hand in hand with IF because you can eat foods that do not get stored as fat and leads to much satisfied meals.

I eat only 1~1.5 meal a day and I lost over 35lbs on Keto in 6 months. I don't give a damn about calories because the foods I eat do not get stored as body fat. I never feel hungry for lunch until late afternoon and I eat one satisfying meal every night.

Calorie counting is the reason people put on more weight, they can't feel satisfied with eating tiny portions every meal.
You do realize that eating 1,5 meals a day and keto will not work unless your in a calorie deficit?

Old 03-26-2020, 01:15 AM

Once your glycogen stores are full, your body stores excess calories from carbohydrate as fat. Excess calories from fat and protein intake get stored as fat in the body as well

Old 03-26-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basum View Post
I would suggest you change to HIIT(High intensity interval training). You will have problems losing weight with regular boring slow pace cardio. Pick a regular cardio exercise like running and transition it to HIIT. You will only need to train 3 days a week. I cant outline a workout plan in this short reply but if you check out this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoiI488R5AY you will find a simple workout plan to follow plus some additional tips. Its also important to really take the carbs out of your diet because it is the main reason why people hold on to weight without losing it. Hope this was helpful.
Carbs are fine, and HIIT is not required to lose weight either, its energy balance at the end of the day that will determine if you lose weigh gain or stay the same.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:31 PM

987 posts, read 779,462 times
What worked for me last year was fasting with cukes and watermelon blended with H20 and ice during the morning and afternoon and eliminating most dairy, eggs, beef/chicken/pork. I still eat wild caught salmon though.
I went to see a nutritionist and got a meal plan from her also. I replaced the meats with processed plant based sausages and I know that is not that good so I eat them sparingly. I also was seeing a personal trainer last spring.
She is the one who told me that nutrition trumps exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss