Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 09:13 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalmike View Post
You cant outrun a bad diet
You do not need Keto or intermittent fasting, calorie restriction is the only method that works.
Keto however does make calorie restriction easier. I actually tried to do keto and I never got into Ketosis it’s even though I kept my carbs around 15 a day. I felt like I was getting all the bad effects of being on keto, such as feeling tired and weak without any of the benefits. I gave up after 3 weeks. Especially when I looked up why I wasn’t losing and the most common answer was “too many calories” (was about 1400 a day).

So I went back to regular calorie counting. However the one big difference that I noticed is that when I was doing keto I was never ever hungry. Whereas even though I’m not eating bread or grains the addition of more carbohydrates makes me hungry more often. It was also easier for me to say “I’m not allowed to have even one wheat thin” then to try to moderate myself. It’s harder when one has “food issues”. May try carb cycling, IDK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 01:34 PM

289 posts, read 248,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma168 View Post
Calorie restriction long term has shown to have negative effects , such a slower metabolism. One of the things I always address when coaching a new client, is developing a healthy metabolism. What this would do for you is burn body fat 24\7 ( even as you sleep. How do we speed up the ole’ metabolism? I’ll give you a few ways:

Weight Training; The more muscle you have , the more calories we burn around the clock.

H.I.I.T : training twice / week can also rev up the metabolism. the best this is it can be done in as little as twenty minutes.

Sleep : is OFTEN overlooked but so important when it comes to weight loss. Not getting enough sleep at night is like half charging your cell phone at night ( no bueno). This means that your body is not only tired, but may feel stressed and this can increase cortisol levels. When cortisol is spiked- so is insulin. so getting 7–9 hours ( depending on the individual) can prove to very beneficial and effective when achieving your weight loss goals. I hope this helps.
None of these diets or eating plans work without calorie restrictions FACT

Old 07-26-2020, 03:09 AM

5 posts, read 4,560 times
A high protein diet can lead to the accumulation of excessive uric acid. Anything that’s too much is bad for the body; including uric acid which may not be thoroughly and efficiently removed from the body.

Old 07-26-2020, 05:56 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
I do time-restricted eating and eat a very low-carb diet. This way of eating is very helpful.

But in all honesty, I made a decision quite a while ago to stop overeating and binge-eating......this has had the most impact compared to any diet I have tried.

So, some days I eat 1500-calories, other days I eat 2500-calories. But now since I avoid having days where I eat WAY too much, the excess weight is gone, LOL, for now.

Old 07-28-2020, 10:33 PM

740 posts, read 456,639 times
I can't exercise to save my life. I simply don't have the endurance anymore but I was diagnosed with diabetes 5 months ago so I started walking every single day. 10,000 steps a day. 4 months later, 40 lbs lost.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:50 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
I can't exercise to save my life. I simply don't have the endurance anymore but I was diagnosed with diabetes 5 months ago so I started walking every single day. 10,000 steps a day. 4 months later, 40 lbs lost.
Then...you ARE quite literally exercising to save your life, contrary to your first sentence.

Old 07-31-2020, 04:35 PM

213 posts, read 131,976 times
Eat like a European. The French and Italians are good, slim examples. They kinda view food as something simply to be enjoyed, but restricted if necessary. They care a lot about quality of life and we all know life is better when you're not hauling around extra pounds, or getting made fun of by peers and family for having them.

First of all, you don't need to work out to lose weight. Calories in calories out. It really is that simple and I'm living proof of it. I basically sit on my ass all day and can still manage to lose weight simply bc I don't eat as much as I used to.
Breakfast is coffee w/ milk and Splenda. Maybe half a homemade sandwich (no I don't use veggies or whole grains or any of that crap).
Other half of the sandwich is for lunch. Maybe I'll munch a few bites of chocolate or nuts or whatever to tide me over til dinner.
Dinner is meat, maybe pasta. It's eaten slowly until I'm close to full. Maybe some fruit, or a few spoonfuls of ice cream or cake after dinner.
Again, I eat what I want and I don't have problems with blood sugar or weight like I used to. This is coming from somebody who gains weight probably quicker than anyone on here. The key is to eat nutritious rich foods (eggs, meat,yogurt etc), avoid excess goitrogens (thyroid inhibitors), and have the respect for yourself that tells you that you really need to watch what how you eat in order to feel better. Of course, exercise is a good idea too but do something you enjoy. Otherwise "exercise" will just sounds like a cursed word.
If I ever feel like overeating I just tell myself: You don't need it. It's gross to be fat, and you're gonna end up a diabetic like your parents if you don't watch your carb and calorie intake.
I don't consider that "beating myself up" since I've been "fat-shamed" since I was 6. I call it accepting things as they are and making the right decisions to avoid the harsh consequences.

Old 08-01-2020, 11:52 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AloePurell View Post
Eat like a European. The French and Italians are good, slim examples. They kinda view food as something simply to be enjoyed, but restricted if necessary. They care a lot about quality of life and we all know life is better when you're not hauling around extra pounds, or getting made fun of by peers and family for having them.

First of all, you don't need to work out to lose weight. Calories in calories out. It really is that simple and I'm living proof of it. I basically sit on my ass all day and can still manage to lose weight simply bc I don't eat as much as I used to.
Breakfast is coffee w/ milk and Splenda. Maybe half a homemade sandwich (no I don't use veggies or whole grains or any of that crap).
Other half of the sandwich is for lunch. Maybe I'll munch a few bites of chocolate or nuts or whatever to tide me over til dinner.
Dinner is meat, maybe pasta. It's eaten slowly until I'm close to full. Maybe some fruit, or a few spoonfuls of ice cream or cake after dinner.
Again, I eat what I want and I don't have problems with blood sugar or weight like I used to. This is coming from somebody who gains weight probably quicker than anyone on here. The key is to eat nutritious rich foods (eggs, meat,yogurt etc), avoid excess goitrogens (thyroid inhibitors), and have the respect for yourself that tells you that you really need to watch what how you eat in order to feel better. Of course, exercise is a good idea too but do something you enjoy. Otherwise "exercise" will just sounds like a cursed word.
If I ever feel like overeating I just tell myself: You don't need it. It's gross to be fat, and you're gonna end up a diabetic like your parents if you don't watch your carb and calorie intake.
I don't consider that "beating myself up" since I've been "fat-shamed" since I was 6. I call it accepting things as they are and making the right decisions to avoid the harsh consequences.

I wonder how much Europe's 30% smoking-rate, which is a known
appetite-suppressant, has to do with their obesity-rate???

Old 08-03-2020, 01:15 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,954,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post

Whenever people say they can't exercise or do cardio I always recommend a rowing machine. I could never run, even just 200 yards I get horrible side pain, call it a cramp, a splint, whatever you want but it was just absolutely horrible pain and could never push through it.

I got into rowing an never had an issue at all, I started at just 2 mins and felt like it was the greatest workout of my life.. now I can do about 30 mins and burn prob 600 cals in the time.

I'm in some of the best shape of my life cause of the rowing machine, awesome full body workout burns fat and also tones the body. I intake a bit higher protein because it is a resistance workout.

Old 08-03-2020, 10:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
Whenever people say they can't exercise or do cardio I always recommend a rowing machine. I could never run, even just 200 yards I get horrible side pain, call it a cramp, a splint, whatever you want but it was just absolutely horrible pain and could never push through it.

I got into rowing an never had an issue at all, I started at just 2 mins and felt like it was the greatest workout of my life.. now I can do about 30 mins and burn prob 600 cals in the time.

I'm in some of the best shape of my life cause of the rowing machine, awesome full body workout burns fat and also tones the body. I intake a bit higher protein because it is a resistance workout.
I really like rowers! I wish I had space. I am very tempted. But that I really the only cardio machine I can do more than 10 minutes without hating it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss