Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 05:20 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,548,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I only lost weight because I recorded every thing I ate in MyFitnessPal. I can EASILY lie to myself about how much I eat. I lied myself into 12 more pounds over last winter, as a matter of fact.
So sick of hearing that though.

I finally had enough of it and went on a liquid diet. I only ate the food they gave me and I wasn't exactly thin as a rail 6 months later. I did lose but didn't make my goal.

CICO has been proven wrong so many times now. There was a study that went on for 10 years and the women were expected to lose 30 lbs and they didn't lose any. Were they all lying?

My mom had cancer and didn't eat for weeks.. finally they gave her a feeding tube... for weeks. Weight lost over 6 months.. zero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
I've put back on about 25 lbs since I broke my arm/wrist 6 months ago. Now I'm not able to really lift any weights but that is no excuse because I can still do cardio. I've tried to go running outside, I've tried to eat less. Recently I've tried to go for walks and bike riding which is so low intensity it doesn't do nothing to my weight. I have no idea how to help myself get back in the groove of hitting the gym and stop eating food. I've tried every diet in the book. My blood work was really bad that I was turning borderline diabetic eating all the ice cream and carbs every night and not being able to hold myself back.

Looking for help!!!!
My best advice will be to try a keto diet and also you dont also need to starve yourself because that was exactly what I was doing about 3 months ago, I starved myself and went for walks once in a while but I still didn't lose weight and I didn't know what to do until my friend shared this keto diet, It wasn't just any keto diet, I personally customized this diet by adding my weight and what how much weight I wanted to lose, I also got to eat my favorite foods and So it wasn't hard at all. So if you wanna lose weight while eating your favorite foods , I will advise to go for this diet.

Old 08-13-2020, 12:46 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
So sick of hearing that though.

I finally had enough of it and went on a liquid diet. I only ate the food they gave me and I wasn't exactly thin as a rail 6 months later. I did lose but didn't make my goal.

CICO has been proven wrong so many times now. There was a study that went on for 10 years and the women were expected to lose 30 lbs and they didn't lose any. Were they all lying?

My mom had cancer and didn't eat for weeks.. finally they gave her a feeding tube... for weeks. Weight lost over 6 months.. zero.
Had to look up "CICO". Thought it was some sort of new fancy diet thing, like NOOM.

Hey, I'm just saying what I did, not trying to get anyone else to do what I did. Recorded everything I ate and made sure I walked 2 or 3 miles every day when I can. Lost 25 pounds. YMMV. No comment on whether anybody is lying or not. Not my concern.

I changed what I ate to a more Mediterranean type of diet, more fish and vegets, limited meat and dairy, etc.,and most importantly, little sugar, but my main driving force was to get my blood sugar down. Weight loss is part of that, yeah, but I don't want to be diabetic and on meds if I can fix it by what I eat, and that was my bottom line.

As I said, it worked for me and I will continue to do it because I'd like to live for a while without having toes amputated and whatnot.

Old 08-14-2020, 09:28 AM

2 posts, read 1,510 times
Also knowing how to eat for your own individual metabolic type is really helpful to lose weight, since you are eating the right types of foods for your body. Metabolic type is a key reason some people find it harder to lose weight, and also why some don't put weight on

Old 08-14-2020, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 834 times
It is worth praising you for your persistence. I think due to usual cardio and maybe small exercises that do not need weights you will be able to get back in shape!

Old 08-14-2020, 07:37 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I changed what I ate to a more Mediterranean type of diet, more fish and vegets, limited meat and dairy, etc.,and most importantly, little sugar, but my main driving force was to get my blood sugar down. Weight loss is part of that, yeah, but I don't want to be diabetic and on meds if I can fix it by what I eat, and that was my bottom line.

As I said, it worked for me and I will continue to do it because I'd like to live for a while without having toes amputated and whatnot.
How clearly you put it (last sentence).

I'm 52, borderline sugar and borderline couple other co-morbidities. So, as mentioned in another contemporaneous thread took the major plunge for vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG) and now here not even a week post-op. Think I'll spend more time on this part of C-D since diet has now become a clear priority in life.

(It always was, but I was a crummy eater. Maybe I still am, in my head: "to be resolved.")

I didn't want full diabetes, heart problems, and other things that pretty much WILL happen to morbidly obese people. Had to cut that off at the pass, pardon bad pun. Fortunately I've always had excellent cardiac health and that continues, since a full cardio workup was part of pre-op and I blew it away. The others were slowly-developing problems. Pretty sure most will go away next six months to a year, if I lose a hundred lbs or more(!)

MyFitnessPal is my friend, too, and definitely was during a pre-op diet needed for surgery: max 800-1000 calories, needed to be brutally honest to myself (and for the doctors) what I was eating and activity level. Damned if that didn't work. My Garmin watch (Fenix 5) adds in steps, as both websites talk back and forth well.

I've found walking an effective weight loss light exercise. I question if it is real cardio due to lack of intensity, not that this was the question but just saying. When I ran, years ago, while I was lean not sure that was "the best" way to lose weight though it sure was a way to be in hellaciously good cardio health.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:22 AM

1,400 posts, read 766,448 times
Quote:
I've put back on about 25 lbs since I broke my arm/wrist 6 months ago. Now I'm not able to really lift any weights but that is no excuse because I can still do cardio. I've tried to go running outside, I've tried to eat less. Recently I've tried to go for walks and bike riding which is so low intensity it doesn't do nothing to my weight. I have no idea how to help myself get back in the groove of hitting the gym and stop eating food. I've tried every diet in the book. My blood work was really bad that I was turning borderline diabetic eating all the ice cream and carbs every night and not being able to hold myself back.

Looking for help!!!!
Hi I haven't read all the responses, but here is mine. First of all I just wanted to offer you some encouragement. You will find a way, things will get better, and you will be more than okay. It's not without effort that we find solutions that work for us. I knew of a man who used this phrase a lot "Think...Solve...Repeat" I like that a lot!

Grab a pen and some paper or get a tape recorder, which ever works better for you, and keep a record of everything you eat. It seems to me there is some sort of subconscious belief that if we eat something quickly, or just a bite, or while not paying attention that it doesn't count, but the scale would indicate otherwise, and starving oneself never works because we were not created to starve, but to live! Try to find some easy and tasty ways to prepare veggies It's possible! Find some people who will encourage you not just in this, but as a friend in all parts of your life, and encourage them.

Try not to make anything you really like to eat be forbidden, because we ALL know that as soon as anything becomes forbidden, you want it all the more and it becomes white-knuckle-city which cannot last. Like if ice cream was your thing, don't buy a big container of it, try buying just a few of those mini-sundaes or something and take your time eating them, not while watching television. I have found this thought to be very helpful when I'm grocery shopping: If it's hard to resist it here in the store, how hard is it going to be to resist it if I bring it in the house!

Best wishes to you!

Old 08-17-2020, 05:48 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,509,475 times
Quote:

Looking for help!!!!
You have kind of nailed the problem eating ice cream and carbs. But here are two alternatives. My cousin lost 40 lbs on his "ice cream" diet. A glass of milk in the morning. An apple for lunch, and an entire container of Ben and Jerry's for dinner. It solved the craving. Not real healthy I suppose, but it cut the weight.

Or my diet. No yeast, no wheat, no red meat, no sugar, no eggs, no dairy other than plain greek yogurt, no salt other than 1/4 teaspoon.

After a while, you loose the craving for the sugar and wheat.

Old 08-25-2020, 05:03 AM

290 posts, read 164,702 times
Losing weight is easy if you incorporate a decent amount of exercise in your diet unless you're pigging out on junk food and high calorie fats. I could lose 3 kgs in a week with junk food. Run for 10-15 every two days. And walk a few miles everyday, drink lots of water and you'll be fine.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:02 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
It's hard to lose weight when food is not combined well. For example, protein and starch eaten together is an issue due to needing very different enzymes. Throwing both into the mix, neither is digested well or even fully. Then you get a mess stuck in your colon. Same goes for gluten, and it's gooey gluey effect. Instead of digesting fully, it just piles up, and snowballs with more accumulation. There's no way to reverse the process without new approaches. And it's not about calories, or fad diets. It's something that is way above all those transitory ways.

The smarts of proper food combining is well-known in eastern countries, but will always be kept hidden here. Too many drs. and industries would go broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss