Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2008, 04:55 AM

10 posts, read 62,514 times

Advertisements

can any body tell me the best weight loss tips
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 08:04 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,169,572 times
Diet and Exercise? I haven't found another miracle yet, and i tried, trust me....

Old 04-28-2008, 12:00 PM

790 posts, read 4,019,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerricky50 View Post
can any body tell me the best weight loss tips
Don't eat after sunset.
Drink plenty of good quality water.
Eat wholesome foods that you like.
Deal with emotional and inner issues that may be causing you to eat for reasons other than hunger.
Chew your food really, really well which means eating slowly.
Exercise daily and if you're not an athlete it doesn't matter ... get our there and do a brisk walk for twenty to thirty minutes ever day.
Or put some energizing music on that you like and dance like crazy and have fun.
Avoid refined foods.
Avoid too much salt and take it easy on the sweets but don't deny yourself a treat now and then (or every day if you want).
Forgive yourself for gaining the weight in the first place and forgive yourself for every thing and for every way in which you're not perfect.
Love yourself ... or at least keep a check on the "self-hater" ie; the one who judges and condemns yourself for being who you are. Tell it to leave you alone or to shut-up.
Basically, aside from the emotional and psychological reasons that people eat too much, it really does come down to eating healthy foods and getting enough exercise or enough daily activity.
20 minutes of aerobic workout a day is enough if you're not gung-ho about working out. Just get some sweat happening and get your heart rate up.
Finally, imagine your body as healthy and slim and imagine yourself as happy.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:56 PM

7,119 posts, read 12,659,449 times
Here are my top 6 weight loss secrets:

1. Eliminate (or cut way back) meat, dairy (esp. cheese, butter and ice cream) from your diet
2. Have one meal per day be a big salad and make your own salad dressing from mustard, a bit of honey and red wine vinegar. Have a slice of whole grain bread (no butter) with your salad
3. Drink nothing but fresh water--no sodas, and cut way back on beer or wine or other alcoholic beverages--and drink nothing that contains high fructose corn syrup
4. Let your snacks be low calorie such as pretzels, apple slices, grapes, carrot strips. No fast food (too high in fats, sugars, and salt)
5. Eat a good breakfast such as oatmeal, whole grain cereal and fresh fruit
6. Walk or swim or do a treadmill or elliptical for 30 minutes 4-7 times/week

oh, and number seven--forget about desserts but if you've a big sweet tooth, make fresh fruit sorbet without any added sugar.

The weight will melt away and possibly so will some health conditions caused by high fats and sugars. Good luck. I pretty much follow the above and my weight stays the same, year after year. If I over-indulge on the weekend I make it up during the week by eating a bit less or exercising more...

Good luck!

Old 04-28-2008, 02:02 PM

268 posts, read 1,159,780 times
1 - Give yourself time to lose weight. You didn't pack on the weight overnight or even within a couple of weeks, and so you shouldn't expect it to all come off in that short amount of time either. Weightloss and ultimately maintaining a healthy/trim figure is a lifelong commitment.

2 - Don't give up. If you "mess up" one meal by eating something you shouldn't or didn't make a workout, don't beat yourself up over it. Just continue on with the weightloss plans of healthy eating and an active lifestyle the very next meal or the very next day.

3 - Read several different books on proper nutrition and eating. Many of them will say the same things. After reading a few, you'll be able to figure out what everyone agrees to as to what works and what doesn't. For example, almost all will say to eat 5-6 small meals per day. Almost all of them will encourage you to either stay away from or limit your intake of white breads, pasta, and white rice, and to eat oatmeal, brown rice, and sweet potatoes/yams instead. The other claims where no one else has made mention but that one person or book is pretty much the fad diet that is either unhealthy or doesn't work long-term.

4 - Join a gym and hire a trainer. This is great for beginners as well as those who are more experienced. For beginners, it's a great way to learn the basics of weight lifting and exercise. For the experienced, it's a great way to get motivated because there will be someone there who won't let you slack off (that is how you gained the weight in the first place, right?). And who knows, you may even learn a new exercise or two.

5 - Cardio, cardio, cardio. It's the only way to really burn off all that fat more quickly. The more you do (either higher intensity or longer duration), the more calories you burn.

6 - Don't give in to those diet pills and fat burners. They do work. But keep in mind, they only work as long as you keep taking them. As soon as you stop, the weight comes right back on. And these "supplements" are very unhealthy if used for the long-term. Proper diet and exercise is the only healthy way to effectively lose weight and keep it off.

7 - Trial and error. Every "body" is different. You'll eventually figure out what works for you and what doesn't.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:33 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,645,771 times
I think the main thing, is to watch your portions and read the calorie content of whatever you are going to eat. Add more fruits and vegetables to your diet and incorporate some exercise. It doesn't have to be hours at the gym, just a little more motion than you are doing now. do things gradually and you will feel better and start to lose a few pounds. It does help to keep a journal of all that you consume and you will really be amazed at how much food you eat!

Old 04-29-2008, 02:38 PM

299 posts, read 1,016,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyskye View Post
Don't eat after sunset.
Drink plenty of good quality water.
I thought you weren't supposed to get them wet or feed them after midnight. Oh, wait...that's gremlins...never mind.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:49 PM

790 posts, read 4,019,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggiegenes View Post
I thought you weren't supposed to get them wet or feed them after midnight. Oh, wait...that's gremlins...never mind.
It's a common Ayurvedic practice that optimizes digestion and metabolism given that our digestive fire varies depending on the time of day and is far from optimum in the evening and throughout the night. It's also a good boundary to prevent overeating when most people do so .... at night ... too soon before bed (which also interferes with important bodily processes during sleep time).

Old 05-01-2008, 12:07 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,641,594 times
I was pleasantly surprises by some of the responses on here, all great and factual ideas. I'm going to add, if you have the money ($60) get a juicer and let the fun begin. Buy all sorts of produce, make your own recipes mixing and matching them and then juice them. Start with a 24 hour juice fast, you will not be hungry, you will have more energy, you will start feeling really good. I do this and will do an entire weekend sometimes just for a kick start and to clean out a little. Do check with your doc before you do anything like this but I researched it a lot and have found all sorts of benefits of juicing. Also, I walk and if I don't feel like doing that then I use my elliptical. I also have horses, so I have reason to be outside and busy all the time. Good luck, and the person that said love yourself is right on. Not to sound cliche but beauty begins on the inside and that means emotionally as well. If you have a poor self image of yourself, then you won't accomplish any weight loss goals. In 1 mth of juicing on and off and between weekends just eating sensibly, I lost 23 lbs.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:52 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,719,061 times
Default Juicing, huh?

I am really piqued by your post. I am struggling with weight loss, and a few years back my DH and I were doing a lot of homemade smoothies. But that eventually got boring. A very long time ago I tried one of those Jamba Juices. They had the nutritional content available, and everything was filled with bad stuff. So I chose the veggie drink. Boy, it was good! And I had tons of energy. I'd like to look into juicers and maybe making my own V8 type drink?

Can you give me some ideas as to ingredients? I'm not always into fruit drinks, love the veggie ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
I was pleasantly surprises by some of the responses on here, all great and factual ideas. I'm going to add, if you have the money ($60) get a juicer and let the fun begin. Buy all sorts of produce, make your own recipes mixing and matching them and then juice them. Start with a 24 hour juice fast, you will not be hungry, you will have more energy, you will start feeling really good. I do this and will do an entire weekend sometimes just for a kick start and to clean out a little. Do check with your doc before you do anything like this but I researched it a lot and have found all sorts of benefits of juicing. Also, I walk and if I don't feel like doing that then I use my elliptical. I also have horses, so I have reason to be outside and busy all the time. Good luck, and the person that said love yourself is right on. Not to sound cliche but beauty begins on the inside and that means emotionally as well. If you have a poor self image of yourself, then you won't accomplish any weight loss goals. In 1 mth of juicing on and off and between weekends just eating sensibly, I lost 23 lbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss