Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2020, 09:51 AM

67 posts, read 45,254 times

Advertisements

Well I don’t call it a diet but trying to lose weight I eat low carb, high protein and exercise at least a half hour everyday. Saturday’s is my one day to each carbs. Maybe sushi, popcorn, a burger with a bun, pizza. (Not all of it lol). I don’t eat any sweets though. Is this normal. I am losing weight but I need that one day to keep me from going crazy. Like going to dinner and having a meal I enjoy on the weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 12:43 PM

23,572 posts, read 19,351,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janay755 View Post
Well I don’t call it a diet but trying to lose weight I eat low carb, high protein and exercise at least a half hour everyday. Saturday’s is my one day to each carbs. Maybe sushi, popcorn, a burger with a bun, pizza. (Not all of it lol). I don’t eat any sweets though. Is this normal. I am losing weight but I need that one day to keep me from going crazy. Like going to dinner and having a meal I enjoy on the weekend.
Guess your diet regime is working for you. Who cares if its "normal" in someone else's eyes? Many diets embrace a cheat day. If you are meeting your goals in spite of the splurges guess there's something to it. OTOH, a bit of moderation every day might avoid that "going crazy" feeling altogether.

Old 07-12-2020, 02:47 PM

30,921 posts, read 37,114,372 times
Quote:
I think you need to learn to eat in a new way if this is going to be sustainable. If you're craving the way you used to eat, then it's not going to work. I mean, sure, you'll miss it some. But over time, if you do this long enough, you might find you don't want the old foods you used to eat.

The thing is, people who diet have the completely wrong focus--on weight. Weight is the by-product of many habits. Therefore, the focus should be on eating truly healthy food.

That generally means less meat than is typical in the American diet, as well as much less sugar and processed foods (which almost always have a lot of sugar, salt, fat, and minimal nutritional value).

The focus needs to be on eating whole, plant based foods, with a modest amount of meat. That generally means learning to cook new things. But it doesn't have to be hard.

I recently learned to make my own lentil soup, which is delicious. I also learned to make different couscous salads. Couscous does have some carbs, but I find using 10% to 25% less than the recipe calls for works out well. Plus I always add cinnamon, turmeric, and black pepper to my couscous, which are all healthy spices. (Almost all spices are healthy). Cinnamon, in particular, helps prevent blood sugar spikes.

This recipe is delicious and satisfying. I added kalamata olives to it to make it taste even better:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/24...ouscous-salad/

Old 07-12-2020, 06:05 PM

22,699 posts, read 24,745,922 times
Low-carb, with a carb-up day......works great for some.

I tried it, makes me too sluggish for the next couple of days.

Old 07-17-2020, 02:39 PM

13,454 posts, read 15,581,318 times
I've been "cheating" for four years now. What is sustainable is something that works. I can't eat healthy all of the time and I don't want to eat healthy all of the time, so my weekly "cheat day" keeps me honest and keeps me lean.

Depriving myself of things I like doesn't make the desire go away. On the contrary, the desire intensifies and I start to obsess about it. I don't have those obsessions anymore.

If what you do helps you stay on track all of the other days of the week, go for it.

Old 07-17-2020, 03:28 PM

22,026 posts, read 25,380,085 times
Whatever works for you. I don't do a cheat day or anything structured other than eat vegetables. If it's beer and burgers on Tuesday, it's beer and burgers on Tuesday. Just keep it reasonable and not beer and burgers on Tuesday, pizza face stuff on Thursday, ice cream binge out on Friday, and chicken wings and more beer on Sunday. One or two days of eating excessively aren't going make a huge difference and I just adjust what I eat on the other days. Doing it five or six days, yeah, it's not going to work either from a calories perspective or just a nutritional one.

Old 07-17-2020, 07:03 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,859,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I've been "cheating" for four years now. What is sustainable is something that works. I can't eat healthy all of the time and I don't want to eat healthy all of the time, so my weekly "cheat day" keeps me honest and keeps me lean.

Depriving myself of things I like doesn't make the desire go away. On the contrary, the desire intensifies and I start to obsess about it. I don't have those obsessions anymore.

If what you do helps you stay on track all of the other days of the week, go for it.
I haven't seen you post in awhile. How are you coping without having a gym? Or is your gym open?

Old 07-21-2020, 05:21 AM

164 posts, read 128,594 times
Quote:
Great diet plan for 6 days. An eating a protein-rich diet is helpful to lose weight. Yes, it is a good idea to eat your favorite food in one day that would be your cheat day.

Old 07-22-2020, 04:01 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,075,389 times
if 6 days on / 1 cheat day is working for ya, good deal!
up your exercise to 1 hour, you might be able to sneak in 2 cheat days.

if Sun-Fri was a tablespoon of brown rice, a pile of broccoli and tofu cubes I would cry myself to sleep at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss