Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,115 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend had been told by her doctor that she needs to lose 40lbs. She is fairly active...walking daily, bike riding, kayaking, she is a vegetarian and she wants to move to vegan. She is very careful about what she eats. She has tried workouts at home and has seen little results. She has celiac and she can't have gluten. She has been to her doctor and had multiple blood tests for thyroid etc. Everything comes back fine. We are at a loss trying to find out what could be happening. Would love any advice anyone could offer. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 06:38 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmclane View Post
My girlfriend had been told by her doctor that she needs to lose 40lbs. She is fairly active...walking daily, bike riding, kayaking, she is a vegetarian and she wants to move to vegan. She is very careful about what she eats. She has tried workouts at home and has seen little results. She has celiac and she can't have gluten. She has been to her doctor and had multiple blood tests for thyroid etc. Everything comes back fine. We are at a loss trying to find out what could be happening. Would love any advice anyone could offer. Thank you.

She might be sneak-eating or just regularly consuming too many calories as part of
her daily eating-plan.

Old 08-05-2020, 07:55 AM

1,013 posts, read 724,840 times
Has she tried keeping a detailed food diary? I used to measure, weigh, etc. until I could judge how much I was really consuming. Count a piece of candy, stick of chewing gum, etc. Now with smaller portions I’ve lost significant weight.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:01 AM

6,343 posts, read 2,893,854 times
I suspect she is eating more than she admits. Try a liquid diet. They used to wire people's jaws shut.

Quote:
There was a period in the 1970s and 1980s when doctors wired shut the jaws of people for up to a year to help them lose weight.
https://www.healthline.com/health/jaw-wired-shut#uses

Old 08-05-2020, 08:35 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
What kind of food is she actually eating? Vegetarian/vegan doesn't necessarily mean low-calorie or healthy. Is she eating mostly fresh vegetables with a small amount of fruits, nuts and grains, or mostly processed foods that just happen to be vegetarian?

Old 08-05-2020, 08:47 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Eat less, exercise more.

No other formula will work.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:14 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Tell her to find a different doctor. The standard thyroid test doesn't tell you squat, but it's the only one most docs use. Have her find a doc who will do a thorough thyroid panel, including antibodies. The basic thyroid test only checks TSH and T4. I had no less than 6 doctors tell me my thyroid was fine, even though I knew it wasn't. All of them (4 were endocrinologists) refused to even order the other tests. One told me that they could tell just by looking at me that my thyroid was fine (I wonder if they use that same test to find out whether people have heart disease).

I finally found a doctor who ran all the tests. When the results came back, half the page was red because almost all of the numbers were out of range. I started taking a prescription thyroid med (NP Thyroid - much better for most people than Synthroid, which only addresses T4 levels). It has made all the difference.

Note that the doctor I found was NOT an endocrinologist. He's a family med MD that just happens to be very well versed in thyroid conditions. Here's a good article:

https://www.healthcentral.com/articl...st-for-thyroid

Old 08-05-2020, 09:15 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Also, I will say that although I think vegan diets can be very healthy, it's not a guarantee. A lot of people think vegan - it must be good for you! But french fries are vegan. So are Oreos. You get the picture. Vegan is great, but like any other diet, it can be healthy or not healthy.

Old 08-05-2020, 11:04 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,263,899 times
This site changed everything for me: theInspiredEater.com.

Good luck!

A.

Old 08-05-2020, 02:19 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
How many calories is she eating every day? Does she use an app to count them? There are lots of free apps to do that. It's very easy to take in more calories than you think you're eating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss