Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 11:28 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times

Advertisements

Keto did nothing for me. I was on it for over a year and didn't cheat. Nothing. "Only" had 20 to lose, but nada. Just to add to the "it's different for everyone" discussion.

I think I will post something about "Traditional Diets" of indigenous peoples, since Keto likes to link to that.

The traditional diets I know about are very heavy in starch, and generally not too high in meat (some exceptions of course). This kind of discounts the "Paleo" claim.

Now off to look at some infallible Google sources, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2023, 07:30 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,604 times
I've been doing "dirty" keto since late 2019. I had major abdominal surgery for 4 hernias and my surgeon told me if I didn't lose some weight I would be right back there. I was close to 215 and 5'2" tall. I told him, no thank you, and started with stricter keto. Over the 3.5 years I have lost 60#, but as I said I don't do strict keto. I have given up soda, sugar, any type of high carb fiber flour and don't miss them, or at least don't miss them enough to cheat. When I do eat something I absolutely shouldn't I don't feel well at all. I read labels (I never did before) and don't use any type of artificial sweeteners.

I found someone online who makes wonderful low carb recipes and I use them. She does a lot of low carb baking so I don't feel deprived. I used the pandemic to totally change how I made food. Now anything too sweet makes me feel nauseous. As mentioned I don't do strict keto as I couldn't sustain, but I've kept my weight at 150-153# now for almost 2 years. Not as much as I would have liked but I think my body has settled in and at 72 I don't exercise as much as I should. At my last, and final, check-up with my surgeon he actually gave me a hug and said he was proud of me. My PCP is also happy because I was borderline diabetic and now my A1C is way down. I know this diet isn't everyone, but this has been the only one that I have tried that has actually worked. I can't say that theren't things I miss, but I know my limit and follow it.

I do eat out some, but I get proteins with a side of salad. I don't eat any of the bread they give you, and if I get a "sandwich" I pull off the bread and eat the filling. Or I have found some places (thank you Red Robin) will do a lettuce wrap on your sandwich. And they have put a bottomless side salad on their menu as a side.

Old 07-09-2023, 07:28 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
I know nothing much about the Keto diet nor really any of the others nor have I actually done them, but I seem to personally like the Paleo diet better as in the ingredients you eat for that one, but in bookstores on the magazine racks, I'll see 10 mags about Keto, but none or maybe 1 about Paleo for some reason.

Old 07-09-2023, 07:45 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
These rankings are based on a survey, not on a scientific study. The link in the OP no longer leads to the article*, so I don't know who was surveyed.

Most doctors get limited nutrition training, and the info changes all the time.
Doctors trained in the 1980s or '90s may still believe in the ill-conceived Food Pyramid. I think that terrible bs fueled the obesity epidemic.

* the link now leads to a page that offers info on Mediterranean, keto, and paleo diets. No sign of the food pyramid.

Old 07-09-2023, 07:51 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I know nothing much about the Keto diet nor really any of the others nor have I actually done them, but I seem to personally like the Paleo diet better as in the ingredients you eat for that one, but in bookstores on the magazine racks, I'll see 10 mags about Keto, but none or maybe 1 about Paleo for some reason.
Keto is basically a shift in proportions of food types consumed; more protein and fat, fewer carbs.
Paleo is a form of keto, but more restrictive, which seems like it would be harder to follow.
Maybe those keto mags talk about paleo!

Old 07-09-2023, 09:53 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Have you started doing the Paleo yet? I've heard it's more restricted than Keto.

Old 07-10-2023, 06:17 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,548,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Have you started doing the Paleo yet? I've heard it's more restricted than Keto.
You can have fruit and sweet potatoes on Paleo you can't on keto. Though you can't eat dairy on Paleo and you can on keto.it depends they both restrict different foods.

Old 07-10-2023, 07:09 PM

492 posts, read 144,361 times
Keto has been around for years.

The entire system is corrupt as heck.

I can show you a study from the Institution of medicine that shows , the highest probability of any study that comes out of Medical system is false.

It can not be replicated with all the same variables.

Just look around at America.

Old 10-03-2023, 02:17 PM

985 posts, read 528,228 times
Nothing is anyone's fault anymore. It's all because this person did that to them, or this person didn't do that to them, or they had the wrong parents, it goes on and on. But there's this pesky reality of cause and effect. If you do this, then you get that. Sorta sums it up. Science is real.

Keto does work, I lost quite a bit of weight that way. But then it goes right back on if the calories aren't watched. It's an extremely unhealthy diet because if you do it right you're putting your body into a state of ketosis. The idea is to get the weight off fast and then eat a healthy diet. Anyone w/ blood pressure or cholesterol issues should avoid it.

In the end it's the age old stuff that works for a life plan. Watch your portions and calories, avoid fatty foods and empty calories that will make your cholesterol levels high and clog your arteries, drink a bare minimum of alcohol (totally empty calories), eat lots of veggies and fish, avoid red meat and get plenty of exercise.

Old 10-03-2023, 08:53 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Keto was practiced for many thousands of years.
It's how we evolved. We hunted meat and if we couldn't find it we ate what we could find. Then we went back out hunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss