Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 07:40 AM

16,986 posts, read 8,652,452 times

Advertisements

We're not Italian at all either! just a good meal

My cravings are for savory things mostly - creamy cheesy sauces, unhealthy sandwiches, french fries...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2020, 01:01 PM

20,548 posts, read 17,832,857 times
I don't get hungry or cravings anymore and thanks to being on a ketogenic diet that cause my insulin level to drop off. People just don't understand the key to losing weight is very very simple. Control your appetite is all you need. Now what causes cravings and hunger? It's that sugar tooth you got.

I honestly haven't hate a candy bar or cake in awhile, occasionally I cheat and have a ice cream. And I eat the entire pint of ice cream and it feels so good. But normally I just kill all of those cravings by skipping meals and eating a very well balanced dinner that includes some carbs and lots of healthy gut foods.

Old 11-05-2020, 02:55 PM

383 posts, read 395,898 times
Personally, I think it's important to get a hold on this before it gets too out of hand. The weight loss is much more manageable now than it will be as you gain more weight. You will probably feel worse and worse about yourself and then just not care. Frankly, I think that is why so many Americans have gotten so heavy - and they just don't care anymore. It is so hard to lose weight, and the more you gain the harder it is! I think it takes a lifestyle change, an attitude change, and some discipline (which is a monumental challenge right now). You need to change some of the bad habits, like drinking alcohol and eating for the wrong reasons - stress, boredom, etc. That attitude is so self-defeating. You have to do what works for you. I have managed to maintain my weight while also enjoying food by intermittent fasting and allowing myself indulgences on certain days (along with a whole foods, plant based diet). That works for me but may not for you. You also need to consider your health and what this does to your body - and your mind! This is such a hard time for all of us, and you need to think of better ways to cope. Sounds like you are just making matters worse for yourself. A little weight gain may not be the end of the world, but you have to get control of it. Having young kids at home does make it really difficult, as does this thing dragging on and on with no end in sight. And NOW we have the holidays upon us, which will probably spread it more and prolong the misery (as well as the comfort/temptations of holiday foods, short days, etc.). Maybe you won't lose the weight, but you CAN keep from gaining more. Then, when things get back to normal you can more easily lose it. Really, you just need to manage not gaining more and give yourself something to look forward too (some treat is fine, but other nonfood things as well). Also, know you are NOT alone with this problem So many people are dealing with this right now. You just have to find a way mentally and physically to at least NOT increase your misery. Trust me, I am also struggling with this in my own way, though it not be food. These are hard times, so just try to find healthy ways to deal with it. One last thing: I used to be a junk-food-junky and an emotional eater. Now that I avoid sugar and unhealthy foods I NEVER crave them at all! Eating these foods make you crave them, I think. That has certainly proven true with me! Good luck!

Old 11-09-2020, 09:36 AM

Thanks, yes losing weight is hard. I still have not lost any weight even though I've been eating healthier and working out. It's frustrating and I can certainly see how people say forget this. Cravings are hard to control. I feel comforted by eating certain foods and they are hard to get them out of my mind lol

Old 11-10-2020, 01:32 AM

43 posts, read 34,884 times
With the beginning of quarantine, I also work at home, and I noticed that the lack of activity is very difficult. So I do three training sessions a week outside or at home if the weather is bad.
I exclude sugar, alcohol, and fatty food. You shouldn't hate thin people; it is better to take care of yourself. Besides, you do not know if it is true that they do not worry about food. And do not look at the pictures in social networks - no one will tell you the truth.

Old 11-12-2020, 11:04 AM

I dont literally hate thin people. I've had points in my life where i was quite thin (110 lbs and I'm 5'5) I know my appetite has increased and that is the problem. I wish I could get to a place where I didnt care much about food or had no appetite.

Old 12-23-2020, 05:39 PM

22,125 posts, read 13,232,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I dont literally hate thin people. I've had points in my life where i was quite thin (110 lbs and I'm 5'5) I know my appetite has increased and that is the problem. I wish I could get to a place where I didnt care much about food or had no appetite.
I feel ya. All through my teens and 20s, I was underweight because I had no appetite and didn't care about eating. I used to say I wish people could just take a pill and get their nutrition for the day so I wouldn't have to bother. And if I was ever upset about a romance or whatever, I couldn't eat AT ALL. I felt self-conscious about being too skinny, even took WATE-ON and drank Nutriment, but struggled to keep my weight up near 100 (I'm also petite). When I joined the work force and observed the older ladies getting so excited about office potlucks, I SMH! How pathetic it seemed to me to have such an avid interest in food. They must not have a life. Of course I would never be like that. Well, guess what?

I, too, have gained the COVID-19 lbs.

Maybe it's just getting older, metabolism, hormones, or not having a life now, but I could happily eat all day long and rave about each dish, just like those potluck ladies I used to scorn!

I'm trying to do keto and have lost a few lbs., but what I wouldn't give to go back to not caring about food...

Old 12-23-2020, 10:49 PM

20,548 posts, read 17,832,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Thanks, yes losing weight is hard. I still have not lost any weight even though I've been eating healthier and working out. It's frustrating and I can certainly see how people say forget this. Cravings are hard to control. I feel comforted by eating certain foods and they are hard to get them out of my mind lol
Your cravings come from having insulin resistance it won't matter how much you exercise. Fasting will cure your insulin resistance problem and go for broke and let fasting fix your problem. I exercise less, eat as much fats and raw leaf salads as possible and losing weight is easy but doing it in a healthy way is very hard.

People like you don't understand that exercise doesn't help you lose weight. It only helps your body get stronger or able to sustain more. It has nothing to do with weight loss. What you put in the mouth is 100% the reason you can't lose any weight.

All I do is eat one meal a single day and fast for 14-18 hrs and I lose 40lbs already. That one big meal is more satisfying because I don't have any cravings. I enjoy my one big meal of the day and it feels great when the next day I don't see any weight gain.

Body stores fat when you eat foods that converts to fat. When you eat foods that don't convert to fat, it doesn't add up to weight.

Avoid anything with fructose and wheat. Fruits and pastas are big no no. I eat bacon, eggs everyday, and enjoy reasonable portions of steak, fish, and lots of avocadoes.

Old 12-24-2020, 08:19 AM

5,755 posts, read 4,368,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
exercise doesn't help you lose weight. It only helps your body get stronger or able to sustain more. It has nothing to do with weight loss. What you put in the mouth is 100% the reason you can't lose any weight.
I think this largely true, although I'd go with 95%. People go on diets and then exercise more too, which makes them hungry so they eat more and don't lose weight.
I've lost at least 5 lbs (probably 2-3 more than that) in 3 weeks just by changing my diet. I do a minimal amount of additional exercising, mostly PT exercises for my knee and back, but I was doing that before too I just increased the frequency a little. I'm sure the calories I burn from the small additional exercise is minimal and insignificant. My food intake is the sole reason for my weight loss.

Of course exercise is good, and I also ride my bike every day but I did that before I started dieting and I haven't increased it one bit.

Last edited by Deserterer; 12-24-2020 at 08:39 AM..

Old 12-24-2020, 08:35 AM

433 posts, read 535,835 times
vision33r---You're definitely on the right track. Since the Covid 19 virus ramped up, I have tried to watch my weight more closely. Since March, I've lost 30+ pounds. As you say, you are eating "reasonable" amounts of steak, etc.. Most people can't control portion size. Excess protein may convert to fat---

“The body can’t store protein, so once needs are met, any extra is used for energy or stored as fat,” adds Wempen. “Excess calories from any source will be stored as fat in the body.”

Wempen explains extra protein intake also can lead to elevated blood lipids and heart disease, because many high-protein foods are high in total fat and saturated fat. Extra protein intake, which can tax the kidneys, poses an additional risk to individuals predisposed to kidney disease."

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/d...-much-protein/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss