Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2020, 03:28 AM

3 posts, read 4,528 times

Advertisements

Which diet is better for the long-term a whole food plant-based diet or a low-carb diet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2020, 08:20 AM

5,199 posts, read 3,120,686 times
The issue is processed foods. If “whole food pant-based” is taken literally then that excludes most baked goods, sweets, and salt-laden franken-food crappola, the foods that wreck people’s health. But adherents to the whole-foods mantra don’t see it that way. They consume “whole-grain” processed breads, honey and colored sugars, weird plant-based meat substitutes, and not-so-healthy vegetable fats. In reality they are eating a high-carb, high-sodium diet with some extra fiber.

Old 11-27-2020, 10:28 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,834,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
The issue is processed foods. If “whole food pant-based” is taken literally then that excludes most baked goods, sweets, and salt-laden franken-food crappola, the foods that wreck people’s health. But adherents to the whole-foods mantra don’t see it that way. They consume “whole-grain” processed breads, honey and colored sugars, weird plant-based meat substitutes, and not-so-healthy vegetable fats. In reality they are eating a high-carb, high-sodium diet with some extra fiber.
I eat a diet of whole type foods and I do not have that mantra. Perhaps you need to change the language to 'some' instead of throwing us all in with one.
Some whole grains are not processed or minimally so. Honey is a weird one to throw in there.
I don't eat foods that have long ingredient lists.

Old 11-27-2020, 10:30 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,834,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingguy2020 View Post
Which diet is better for the long-term a whole food plant-based diet or a low-carb diet?
The better diet is the one you can stay on for the long run. Some people have problems with eliminating food groups. Figure out what will work for you.

Losing weight is a simple matter of burning more calories than you consume. Only you can figure out how to make that happen in a away that is successful.

Old 11-27-2020, 11:19 AM

26,435 posts, read 46,678,356 times
Quote:
Go for a higher protein lower carbohydrate diet with healthy grains like oats, quinoa, and buckwheat. Avoid wheat and soy like the plague. Your appetite will decrease between meals and you will be more satiated overall.

Old 12-13-2020, 02:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,264 times
Your plate should be made up of mostly vegetables. Think about it this way. If you fill your plate with mostly vegetables, you’re consuming fewer calories and eating your medicine. Literally! Vegetables are disease and cancer-fighting machines!

Old 12-13-2020, 03:50 PM

130,670 posts, read 12,177,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
The better diet is the one you can stay on for the long run. Some people have problems with eliminating food groups. Figure out what will work for you.

Losing weight is a simple matter of burning more calories than you consume. Only you can figure out how to make that happen in a away that is successful.

This is very true, you have to find a diet which includes foods you can enjoy, Deprivation cannot last.

Old 12-13-2020, 04:05 PM

157 posts, read 93,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
But adherents to the whole-foods mantra don’t see it that way. - Yes. Yes, we do.

This has been an interest of mine for some time - I've been vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, auto-immune Paleo, primal, and Paleo over the course of decades. (Experimenting and keeping track of how foods affect my health is an interest of mine.)

"Whole foods" does not mean processed breads, colored sugars, and weird plant based meat substitutes. But a vegan/vegetarian diet can include those. I always say I can be a vegetarian and live on cookies and Coke. The whole foods piece is important.

Whole foods can be low carb or vegetarian - both diet choices can incorporate a whole foods approach.

Personally, I had great success as a vegan and felt and looked my best, but I also think this had to do with other factors in my life outside of diet. I also lost weight eating low carb, as long as I didn't keep dairy in my diet, so Paleo low carb worked for me but Primal low carb didn't. It depends on your tolerance for dairy.

Even as I experiment with moving back toward a more plant-based diet, my eye is on the carbs. I think there's enough evidence being generated out there about how high carbs and sugars (even the natural kind found in whole foods) are what damages us, not fats. So an easy answer is: low carb is better for weight loss. A more nuanced answer is: low carb is better for weight loss, but even a plant-based diet can lean toward lower carb. In any case at all, though, your diet can be whole food.

Last edited by IntoSomething; 12-13-2020 at 04:51 PM..

Old 12-16-2020, 05:07 PM

7,149 posts, read 12,697,623 times
Quote:
Just now reading a book about long-lived, healthy populations.

The proof seems overwhelming that a whole grain, plant-based diet with low fat, little sugar. low salt, and a bit calorie-restricted is the key to living a long, healthy life.

With plenty of exercise thrown in, too.

We're cutting way back on animal protein and eating a lot more beans, nuts and legumes and soy-based protein. Am learning to cook with tempeh--it's pretty good, actually.

Exploring grains such as barley, quinoa, lentils, brown rice, cous cous, and such...

Old 12-16-2020, 05:14 PM

7,149 posts, read 12,697,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
This is very true, you have to find a diet which includes foods you can enjoy, Deprivation cannot last.
Our goal is discovering a new way of using nutritious, whole, unprocessed foods that are satisfying and delicious (and affordable) so we don't feel deprived.

I've been trying recipes that are satisfying and we're not missing the animal proteins much at all. A recent hit was a green enchilada recipe using tempeh and black beans--spicy and rich and yummy.

Must admit, though, that once a month or so, I must have a smallish serving of bacon. I do love my bacon. And a daily small square of dark chocolate...

Life is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss