Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 07:23 PM

8 posts, read 6,943 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am 43 years old at 6' 3" tall 220 lbs. According to BMI chart I am overweight. I did a waist measurement and it is 37".

I "look" and "feel" "healthy" but the the BMI reuslt is a concern. I exercise often and I actually dropped about 15 lbs to be at the current 220 lbs.

If needed, I can drop 21+ lbs to be "healthy" but I have heard that BMI is "not an accurate" health determinant.

Should I go with the chart and drop another 20+ lbs? How can I tell if I need to drop more weight? Personally, I hink I will be skinny if I go down to 190 to 200 lbs. But for good health I guess I have no choice.

Pls advise.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 07:27 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times
More info needed. Are you large-boned or medium or fine-boned? Do you have a lot of lean muscle mass? It weighs more than fat, which is the main reason why the BMI isn't an accurate indication of whether your weight is "healthy" or not.

If you think you'll be "skinny" after dropping another 20 lbs., you've kind of been doing it wrong. Your weight loss regime should include building lean muscle mass, so as you lose weight, you gain muscle tone. Then you won't be "skinny", you'll be toned.

But really, this is a good question for your doctor.

Old 12-15-2020, 07:45 PM

10,578 posts, read 7,789,955 times
Agree with Ruth that more info needed.
Your numbers sound a bit on the heavy side to me
unless you’re a muscular athlete.
Resting heart rate, blood pressure and stress test would give
you some indication of your fitness.
And yes, for most people looking “skinny” indicates they’re in good health.

Old 12-16-2020, 07:54 AM

22,666 posts, read 24,632,000 times
View yourself, nude, in a full-length mirror, be honest..........you will know if you need to lose more weight.

Old 12-16-2020, 07:59 AM

29,755 posts, read 34,434,332 times
Do you have a primary care physician you can consult? I wouldn't make sweeping changes to your body based solely on a BMI chart, which doesn't take into account individual body types and lifestyle. Health is based on much more than what number is on the scale.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:10 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,829,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemuse View Post
Hi,

I am 43 years old at 6' 3" tall 220 lbs. According to BMI chart I am overweight. I did a waist measurement and it is 37".

I "look" and "feel" "healthy" but the the BMI reuslt is a concern. I exercise often and I actually dropped about 15 lbs to be at the current 220 lbs.

If needed, I can drop 21+ lbs to be "healthy" but I have heard that BMI is "not an accurate" health determinant.

Should I go with the chart and drop another 20+ lbs? How can I tell if I need to drop more weight? Personally, I hink I will be skinny if I go down to 190 to 200 lbs. But for good health I guess I have no choice.

Pls advise.

Thanks
Do you have flab on you? Are you muscular? It's not that hard to determine whether you should lose weight or not. And whether you do or not keep exercising, its the single best thing you can do for yourself.

Old 12-16-2020, 11:41 AM

5,719 posts, read 4,305,135 times
If I went by BMI I would be almost 30lbs overweight which is completely absurd. I think BMI + 8 to 10% is about right for me, I am pretty muscular. If you are flabby keep losing and exercising. if you aren't flabby just keep exercising.

Old 12-16-2020, 11:44 AM

5,719 posts, read 4,305,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Do you have flab on you? Are you muscular? It's not that hard to determine whether you should lose weight or not. And whether you do or not keep exercising, its the single best thing you can do for yourself.

Oops, I pretty much just repeated this before I read it. Well, do this.

Old 12-16-2020, 05:49 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,157,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemuse View Post
Hi,

Pls advise.

Thanks
Sure, try this:

1. Find a local ND. They're around. Mine is relatively inexpensive, and she's good.

2. Outline your case. She'll put you on a 'real' scale that measures parameters that actually matter, not just pure "weight."

3. Discuss your eating habits.

4. She may order a blood panel. Do so. See "inexpensive."

5. Next visit she'll have concrete steps to move forward, in terms of proper diet and (maybe) exercise, though the latter isn't her competency of course.

Works for me, though I'm mid-journey.

Old 12-20-2020, 12:21 PM

8 posts, read 6,943 times
Thank you all. I am definitely not flabby. I have toned muscles. Even medical personnel have said, "..... you look like you take of yourself ..." However look is one thing, healthy is another.
I can say though that I have some little fat at belly area (love handles and lowermost part of belly. Nothing outrageous.

I actually started the thread because of BMI chart and all these overweight/obesity talk out there.

Based on what I have read here and other places, I will keep exercising, avoid gaining weight and maybe focus toning the belly area.

Maybe I will visit ND or PCP when the counry "is all open" again. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss