Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 11:27 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times

Advertisements

∆∆∆

I like doing 12/12 or 16/8 intermittent fasting myself. I never feel hungry in the morning and the idea we need a large breakfast...though I feel the worst if I eat close to bedtime so I try to keep 3-4 hours between large meal and bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 10:25 AM

117 posts, read 46,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatertotstaken View Post
Hi all

I never enjoyed eating meat ever since I was a child, so a couple years ago I decided to transition to vegan. So far I've cut out beef, pork, dairy milk and eggs but still eat chicken since it's easy
But even with just those cuts, it didn't take long to see positive results in my skin (which is SO much clearer now) and overall mood in general.
I'm new to these forums and was wondering what dietary restrictions to people here prefer and why?
Feel free to detail your experiences, whether that's keto, vegan, carnivorous, etc. I'm curious!

- Liney~ <3
I hate both because they are too restrictive but It would be easier for me to be a vegan than to keep a Keto Diet for more than 3 weeks. I tried those in the past and they make me very weak because I get so grossed out by the food I can eat that I stop eating enough food. Then again I have never been a big meat fan, but I like eggs, dairy and all that stuff.

Fasting, no way, I hate being hungry.

Everybody should do whatever is easier for them.

Old 04-08-2021, 10:36 AM

117 posts, read 46,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
∆∆∆

I like doing 12/12 or 16/8 intermittent fasting myself. I never feel hungry in the morning and the idea we need a large breakfast...though I feel the worst if I eat close to bedtime so I try to keep 3-4 hours between large meal and bed.
As you should, no one should eat a large meal and go to bed within 3 hours, especially if they ate protein or a fatty meal. Acid Reflux is a nasty thing to have.

I prefer to have dinner around 6:30 but if I eat that early I usually have a snack later. I'm not into fasting. I just had a bad case of acid reflux years ago and that has been the best way to control it.

Old 04-08-2021, 10:40 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
I tend to follow Michael Pollan's advice of, "eat real food, not too much, mostly plants." Generally everything in moderation--I casually count calories, and don't follow any fad diet that restricts all or some kinds of foods.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:15 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,404,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That's not from the greens. That's from the sauces and add-ons.

And I think you know that.
When someone eats a salad at an establishment, nobody ever just eats the greens. Many people think they are eating "healthy" by choosing the salad without knowing it has 1,000 calories in it and then they wonder why they aren't losing weight. Losing weight is strictly based on energy balance. If you aren't in a caloric deficit you will not lose weight. You could lose 25lbs easily on a twinkie diet if you are in a caloric deficit.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

Given all that, people serious about the quality of what they eat eliminate or significantly reduce highly processed foods and foods high in sugar, particularly high fructose corn syrup. People serious about the quality of what they eat will eat organic as much as possible. Even serious vegans will avoid American-grown grains, which are all surfeit in glyphosates (thank you, Monsanto and Congress).

Whatever happened to just eating a whole foods diet in a caloric deficit. Why do you need to eat organic to be healthy? I know of no known studies that show that eating organic is any healthier than the non- organic equivalent.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:34 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,793 times
Read the ingredient list on the botttled salad dressing most of those restaurants use.

If you want healthy salad, either eat it with no dressing or at most add bit vinegar and olive oil. NO SUGAR! NO STARCH!

The real problem too with salads offered by cheaper restaurants, its usually iceberg lettuce with few flecks of carrot for color and boatload bottled sugary salad dressing. Its not a healthy salad. A healthy salad has a mix of chopped veggies and maybe some nuts, with at most a bit oil and vinegar.

Nobody gets fat on eating too much fat. YOur body will send up the STOP EATING! YOU ARE FULL! signal. And food will become moderately repulsive at that point. This does not necessarily happen with high carb foods whether "healthy" or NOT. Your body also doesnt convert dietary fat into body fat. It does convert excess glucose into FAT. Its one of the functions of your liver. Liver and pancreas are partners in dealing with blood glucose.

They dont fatten livestock for market on dietary FAT, they dont fatten them on grass or hay, they fatten them on grain which is high carb. This combined with limited opportunity to exercise gets you a fat profitable pig.

All calories are not the same to your body.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:43 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Whatever happened to just eating a whole foods diet in a caloric deficit. Why do you need to eat organic to be healthy? I know of no known studies that show that eating organic is any healthier than the non- organic equivalent.

Because caloric deficient diet leaving you hungry sends you into starvation mode with your body trying to conserve carlories by slowing metabolism. This is why calorie counter diets DONT WORK, they always hit the big plateau where you dont lose weight no matter how you eat. Plus your brain is going to urge you to eat at every opportunity you have at food.

To lose weight you need to be able to eat your fill.

As to organic, thats up to you, if you think farm chemicals are a basic dietary necessity, then by all means you want to have plenty in your diet. Far as I know there have been no impartial long term studies on how farm chemical diet affects a group compared to an organic diet. Those profiting from sale and use of farm chemicals are not the ones you want doing the impartial testing. Thats like having tobacco companies testing effects of smoking.

Most people its a matter of economics, most would prefer organic just not at three or four times the price. I will buy organic when its maybe 20% to 30% higher. And some things this is true. Also some kinds commercial produce is a better bet on how much farm chemicals it contains.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Read the ingredient list on the botttled salad dressing most of those restaurants use.

If you want healthy salad, either eat it with no dressing or at most add bit vinegar and olive oil. NO SUGAR! NO STARCH!

The real problem too with salads offered by cheaper restaurants, its usually iceberg lettuce with few flecks of carrot for color and boatload bottled sugary salad dressing. Its not a healthy salad. A healthy salad has a mix of chopped veggies and maybe some nuts, with at most a bit oil and vinegar.

Nobody gets fat on eating too much fat. YOur body will send up the STOP EATING! YOU ARE FULL! signal. And food will become moderately repulsive at that point. This does not necessarily happen with high carb foods whether "healthy" or NOT. Your body also doesnt convert dietary fat into body fat. It does convert excess glucose into FAT. Its one of the functions of your liver. Liver and pancreas are partners in dealing with blood glucose.

They dont fatten livestock for market on dietary FAT, they dont fatten them on grass or hay, they fatten them on grain which is high carb. This combined with limited opportunity to exercise gets you a fat profitable pig.

All calories are not the same to your body.
Uhh what? Nobody gets fat eating too much fat? In what world??

DIETARY FAT INTAKE DOES AFFECT OBESITY

https://www.semanticscholar.org/pape...d7eb2/figure/1

https://watermark.silverchair.com/11...hGWZnJ7oECQccx

High-fat diet-induced obesity in animal models
https://www.semanticscholar.org/pape...3688065e5?p2df

Professor John Speakman, who led the study, said: “The result of this enormous study was unequivocal – the only thing that made the mice get fat was eating more fat in their diets.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...929?via%3Dihub

And since you don't believe that energy balance plays a role in weight loss here is your primer:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3302369/

Old 04-12-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Because caloric deficient diet leaving you hungry sends you into starvation mode with your body trying to conserve carlories by slowing metabolism.
If you are eating satieing foods and your diet is high in fiber it won't send you into starvation mode.

Quote:
This is why calorie counter diets DONT WORK, they always hit the big plateau where you dont lose weight no matter how you eat. Plus your brain is going to urge you to eat at every opportunity you have at food.
CICO is the mechanism not the tool. It's not the same thing as counting calories. Just because different diets have different effects on fat loss does not invalidate ENERGY BALANCE. I repeat tracking calories is not CICO

Quote:
To lose weight you need to be able to eat your fill.
If by eating your fill you mean by eating satieting foods then yes I agree.

Quote:
As to organic, thats up to you, if you think farm chemicals are a basic dietary necessity, then by all means you want to have plenty in your diet. Far as I know there have been no impartial long term studies on how farm chemical diet affects a group compared to an organic diet. Those profiting from sale and use of farm chemicals are not the ones you want doing the impartial testing. Thats like having tobacco companies testing effects of smoking.

Most people its a matter of economics, most would prefer organic just not at three or four times the price. I will buy organic when its maybe 20% to 30% higher. And some things this is true. Also some kinds commercial produce is a better bet on how much farm chemicals it contains.
If you think you aren't getting some pesticides in your organic food then think again. https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...l-agriculture/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss