Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 10:08 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,409,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You can begin to reach ketosis in 2 days. But you will not have made a significant metabolic change within two weeks.
Multiple studies have shown metabolic changes within 2 weeks.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/acti...p-0001-si.docx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2021, 11:36 AM

3,449 posts, read 2,429,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
What’s addicting is highly processed carbs and fats mixed with sodium and sugars, not carbs themselves. Where do you see that carbs like potatoes are addictive? Additionally what’s wrong with companies making a profit?
I think the term "addiction" is WAYYYYY overused.

I have never suffered withdrawal symptoms when I can't keep myself stuffed with bread 24/7. The high doesn't mellow too much for me to handle and require I get another fix. It just doesn't happen.

Rather, I feel that certain carb combinations can satisfy a compulsion. Not an addiction.

If you offer me a cup of sugar, I'll politely turn you down.
But if you offer me a 6-ounce bag of Wurther's Originals, I'll consume the entire bag within an hour.

Why? Because it's 100% carbs? No. Not because it's carbs. But because it tastes good. Potato starch is carbs too and I won't be mixing potato starch into my water to get my fix. On the other hand, make me the perfect garlic bread, and you'll have to fight me for the last piece.

Compulsion, not addiction.

Old 04-18-2021, 12:48 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,409,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
I think the term "addiction" is WAYYYYY overused.

I have never suffered withdrawal symptoms when I can't keep myself stuffed with bread 24/7. The high doesn't mellow too much for me to handle and require I get another fix. It just doesn't happen.

Rather, I feel that certain carb combinations can satisfy a compulsion. Not an addiction.

If you offer me a cup of sugar, I'll politely turn you down.
But if you offer me a 6-ounce bag of Wurther's Originals, I'll consume the entire bag within an hour.

Why? Because it's 100% carbs? No. Not because it's carbs. But because it tastes good. Potato starch is carbs too and I won't be mixing potato starch into my water to get my fix. On the other hand, make me the perfect garlic bread, and you'll have to fight me for the last piece.

Compulsion, not addiction.
Agreed, we should be using terms like “hyperpalatable”.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:32 PM

3,449 posts, read 2,429,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Agreed, we should be using terms like “hyperpalatable”.
Or just tasty to extremes. Like, I love M&Ms with peanuts. But I can eat a few handsful, and then close the bag and have a few more the next day. I can't do that with Wurther's Originals. They're both candy. They're both sugar. They're both delicious (to my taste buds). So it can't possibly be addiction. Same thing with some people and potato chips. "You can't eat just one" isn't a popular saying for no reason afterall.

No need to get into medical or fancy technical terminology over this. If you like something a lot, you're more likely to want more of it, than something you don't like as much. That's just human nature. The difference between the person who overeats and the person who doesn't, is self-control. Not everyone is able to control themselves as well as other people. And some people can control themselves better than most everyone else.

And - some people can control themselves just fine about most things they enjoy but, like me and my Wurther's, are utterly incompetent when a certain substance, a certain flavor, a certain mouth-feel, just really hits the spot.

My solution for this particular phenomenon: don't buy any of that one thing, or those three things, that you know are your "weakness." Just don't buy it at all. Don't fool yourself into thinking you can control yourself "this time." You can't. You are powerless when it comes to this one thing, or those two things. If you want carbs, but know you can't stop eating a really good mac & cheese, then eat nice potato instead. Or eat a slice of bread. Or heck - go for a small bag of chips, or that slice of pizza. Just don't buy mac & cheese. You get to satisfy your carb craving without feeling horrible an hour later.

Old 07-20-2021, 02:18 PM

7,145 posts, read 12,683,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
This is me. I love Pollan, Greger, Bittman....

No food restrictions, more of a "what can I add?" Herbs,nuts, seeds....

Greens and veggies go into almost everything, even a steak is served on a bed of spinach or arugula.

I try to rotate my proteins (we usually only eat meat at dinner), poultry, seafood, beef, pork, vegetarian.

The only thing I restrict is added sugar, DH doesn't. I also don't normally eat white rice or potatoes.
Michael Greger M.D. is my personal hero! His two books, How Not to Die and How Not to Diet are so eye-opening and helpful. So knowledgeable and full of love and tips on how to live a long and healthy life!

I like that his advice is evidence-based and not the common pie-in-the-sky flavor of the month fad. Down to earth stuff I can use. He's my idea of a doctor who is a healer.

Old 07-20-2021, 02:29 PM

48,545 posts, read 34,911,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Michael Greger M.D. is my personal hero! His two books, How Not to Die and How Not to Diet are so eye-opening and helpful. So knowledgeable and full of love and tips on how to live a long and healthy life!

I like that his advice is evidence-based and not the common pie-in-the-sky flavor of the month fad. Down to earth stuff I can use. He's my idea of a doctor who is a healer.
Couldn't agree more. I needed a "go to" source that I could trust, and he is mine. He also has a great podcast.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss