Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 04:34 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,248,219 times

Advertisements

I need to lose 100 lbs from my starting weight, probably a bit more actually. And Ive lost 23 lbs as of this morning. I started this the day after Thanksgiving and Im losing about 10 lbs a month average. Im just coming out of a plateau where nothing happened for a week or week and half then I dropped like 3 lbs all at once.

I work out 5-6 days a week, mix of dancing, spinning and various exercises like pushups, squats, resistance bands, jumping jacks, planks and some yoga.

However I just want to make sure my diet is doing ok. I am tracking everything I eat in MFP who says I should be having 1380 cals a day. I dont eat back my exercise calories.

Yesterday I ate 1,000 cals

Breakfast:Blessed protein meal replacement shake 130 cals

Lunch; 6 pieces of uncured turkey slices, 1 oz of cheese, 5 cauliflower chips, pickles 248 cals

Afternoon snack RSP protein meal replacement shake 170 cals

Dinner: 4 oz pork loin, asparagus, applesauce, crispy green beans 456 cals

Cup of coffee after dinner 35 cals

Today will be very similar except chicken for dinner with some veggies

Most days the food during the day is very similar, just the dinner changes but under 500 calories for the meal.

Does this look sufficient for losing weight while also feeding my body what it needs to thrive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 09:13 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
Why bother tracking what you eat? I don't bother because you have to learn how to control your hunger. Hunger is a mechanism caused by insulin. If you eat too much sweets, insulin will become abundant in your blood and causing you to want to eat more. I only eat one meal a day. I don't get hungry at all. Because I learned how to control insulin. Then by dinner time I can enjoy a fulfilling meal. Calorie counting and managing portions will not go the distance, once you learn how to manage hunger. You eat what your body needs and the weight drops.

Old 02-09-2021, 09:18 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times
Tracking what you eat is very important when dieting. You can do it by writing everything you eat down, or you can go to myfitnesspal.com or Sparkpeople .com and log your food there.

I think you are on the right road so far. Keep it up. Make sure you keep exercising and strive to push yourself a little more with each workout even if its just walking.

Weight loss is not linear - you should shoot for 2 pounds a week. Some weeks will be more and some will be less. Just keep doing what you are doing and you will succeed.

Old 02-09-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Why bother tracking what you eat? I don't bother because you have to learn how to control your hunger. Hunger is a mechanism caused by insulin. If you eat too much sweets, insulin will become abundant in your blood and causing you to want to eat more. I only eat one meal a day. I don't get hungry at all. Because I learned how to control insulin. Then by dinner time I can enjoy a fulfilling meal. Calorie counting and managing portions will not go the distance, once you learn how to manage hunger. You eat what your body needs and the weight drops.
I do not do well on OMAD. Some people are wildly successful some are not, I am not. I have a much easier time controlling what I eat when I have scheduled meals planned in advance.

I log what I eat because I was in a plateau and wanted to ensure I wasnt over eating and I have better control that way.

Also I am not a sweets eater, I dont like to eat sweets and cookies and cakes and pies and ice cream are zero temptation for me. Its just overeating what I can eat and breads/pastas/rice. And ive cut out 95% of that sort of stuff

Old 02-09-2021, 09:39 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I do not do well on OMAD. Some people are wildly successful some are not, I am not. I have a much easier time controlling what I eat when I have scheduled meals planned in advance.

I log what I eat because I was in a plateau and wanted to ensure I wasnt over eating and I have better control that way.

Also I am not a sweets eater, I dont like to eat sweets and cookies and cakes and pies and ice cream are zero temptation for me. Its just overeating what I can eat and breads/pastas/rice. And ive cut out 95% of that sort of stuff
You just answered why you are gonna fail at your diet ultimately. Because you said it, you can't control over-eating. I'm gonna tell you that once you've mastered your hunger, you don't need to schedule. I'm a minimalist. I don't plan or schedule my diet. Eat what your body needs than what you crave. Learn strategies on how to control cravings and the body will automatically fix itself. Scheduled meals will lead to more cravings because your body will keep craving. Because you did not resolve the cravings you simply managed it and not dealt with it.

Don't make dieting so hard, it really is simple but the hard part is teaching your body.

I went from 4 meals to 3 to 2 meals and now just 1 meal because my body adapted. Weight loss is so easy when you let your body do it's work.

Old 02-11-2021, 01:25 PM

2,864 posts, read 1,810,075 times
Congratulations on your weight loss ! ! !

What I learned: I didn't gain weight overnight, I won't loss weight overnight
For me, accepting myself at a healthy weight is challenging, emotionally. Loss weight, loss friends. Priorities changed, desired to meet for a walk rather than a meal, they didn't.

When I do eat, learned from my son, a healthy eater, when I listen to my body, stop when sated. Even if just a bite or two, stop. When I asked him why, "Oh, Mama I do not want to feel sick."

Close to 200 pounds, under 5', couldn't find clothes 27 years ago. Joined T.O.P.S. for support, have loss 1.5 (an average) the past 27 years ! Now below 150, Struggle with being a healthy weight. Many people don't understand, the emotional part, especially if one has been abused. Also, your body has to adjust to lower intake? Accept plateaus.

52 weeks times 2 pounds= 104 pounds ! You're well on your way ! One day at a time !

Old 02-11-2021, 02:00 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,417,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I need to lose 100 lbs from my starting weight, probably a bit more actually.
Congrats on the loss so far, and congrats on exercising.
Quote:
However I just want to make sure my diet is doing ok. I am tracking everything I eat in MFP who says I should be having 1380 cals a day. I dont eat back my exercise calories.

Yesterday I ate 1,000 cals
Yeah if you're eating similar calories every day, you're probably undereating, which will just backfire on you. Your body requires nourishment to thrive. If you go on a deprivation diet, it will suffer. So stop doing that. If you need to eat 1300 calories a day, don't eat 1000 calories a day. Eat 1300 calories a day.
Quote:
Breakfast:Blessed protein meal replacement shake 130 cals
Eat actual food. Stop eating replacement shakes. That stuff will kill you. Have an egg, with some sauteed veggies, and a whole tangerine, and maybe a small cup of low-fat (NOT NO-FAT) yogurt. It might be around 400 calories total, and that's perfect for starting off your day.

Quote:
Lunch; 6 pieces of uncured turkey slices, 1 oz of cheese, 5 cauliflower chips, pickles 248 cals
Skip the pickles - they're loaded in sodium and have zero nutritional value. Are you putting those slices of deli food on bread? And why cauliflower chips? is that supposed to make you feel like you're eating healthier? Fried/baked dried-out crisps of veggies are fried/baked dried-out crisps of veggies, whether cauliflower, potato, or anything else. Stop eating pretend food, or food that has names that make you think you're eating healthy. Eat actual healthy foods instead.

Unless you can't have any gluten at all, I'd say toss the turkey and cheese on ONE of those big pieces of fresh multi-grain bakery bread (or learn to bake your own from scratch), with just enough real (not lite, not diet, not eggless) mayo so that the meat sticks to the bread and doesn't slide out the back when you take a bite. If you can't have bread, make yourself a lettuce wrap with romaine or other "big leafy" vegetable. You could even line up a few raw fresh spinach leaves on a plate, layer the meat on that, the cheese on that, and roll yourself up a spinach-wrap.

Quote:
Afternoon snack RSP protein meal replacement shake 170 cals
More crap. Have a small scoop of cottage cheese with pineapple, or some berries with almonds, or even a little side salad with a variety of vegetables, and a little drizzle of oil and vinegar for a dressing.
More filling, more nutritious, better tasting, and no crap.
Quote:
Dinner: 4 oz pork loin, asparagus, applesauce, crispy green beans 456 cals
This sounds like something you got out of the supermarket "entree" section in the frozen foods aisle, that you only have to nuke for 4 minutes and it's ready to eat.

If it's an actual pork loin, you can have 5 ounces. Season it in a way that doesn't require apple sauce for flavor. Apple sauce is mostly water, with sugar being the second-most nutritional ingredient. Asparagus is great. What kind of sauce are you putting on it? I don't even know what "crispy green beans" are, but if they're another version of "chips" then toss those things out and stir-fry yourself some actual green beans.
Quote:
Cup of coffee after dinner 35 cals
Have the cup of coffee with breakfast, and stop consuming any caffeine at all after mid-day.

Old 02-12-2021, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Congrats on the loss so far, and congrats on exercising.

Yeah if you're eating similar calories every day, you're probably undereating, which will just backfire on you. Your body requires nourishment to thrive. If you go on a deprivation diet, it will suffer. So stop doing that. If you need to eat 1300 calories a day, don't eat 1000 calories a day. Eat 1300 calories a day.

Eat actual food. Stop eating replacement shakes. That stuff will kill you. Have an egg, with some sauteed veggies, and a whole tangerine, and maybe a small cup of low-fat (NOT NO-FAT) yogurt. It might be around 400 calories total, and that's perfect for starting off your day.

I have a whole food plant based natural (meaning I can read pronounce and understand every ingredient in it. I leave for work at 4 am, dont have breakfast until 9 am and have something that I can just add water to and go

Skip the pickles - they're loaded in sodium and have zero nutritional value. Are you putting those slices of deli food on bread? And why cauliflower chips? is that supposed to make you feel like you're eating healthier? Fried/baked dried-out crisps of veggies are fried/baked dried-out crisps of veggies, whether cauliflower, potato, or anything else. Stop eating pretend food, or food that has names that make you think you're eating healthy. Eat actual healthy foods instead.

I just like pickles. I eat the cheese and lunchmeat on the chips. My husband is gluten free so we buy mostly gluten free foods.

Unless you can't have any gluten at all, I'd say toss the turkey and cheese on ONE of those big pieces of fresh multi-grain bakery bread (or learn to bake your own from scratch), with just enough real (not lite, not diet, not eggless) mayo so that the meat sticks to the bread and doesn't slide out the back when you take a bite. If you can't have bread, make yourself a lettuce wrap with romaine or other "big leafy" vegetable. You could even line up a few raw fresh spinach leaves on a plate, layer the meat on that, the cheese on that, and roll yourself up a spinach-wrap.

More crap. Have a small scoop of cottage cheese with pineapple, or some berries with almonds, or even a little side salad with a variety of vegetables, and a little drizzle of oil and vinegar for a dressing.
More filling, more nutritious, better tasting, and no crap.

This is a "snack" i have in the car on the way home from work because my drive is over an hour and its 7 hours or so between lunch and dinner

This sounds like something you got out of the supermarket "entree" section in the frozen foods aisle, that you only have to nuke for 4 minutes and it's ready to eat.

No I made it myself.

If it's an actual pork loin, you can have 5 ounces. Season it in a way that doesn't require apple sauce for flavor. Apple sauce is mostly water, with sugar being the second-most nutritional ingredient. Asparagus is great. What kind of sauce are you putting on it? I don't even know what "crispy green beans" are, but if they're another version of "chips" then toss those things out and stir-fry yourself some actual green beans.

The applesauce was because it like applesauce though afterward when I read the ingredients I was disappointed that sugar came before apples in the ingredients so I wont be eating it again. I dont put any sauce on asparagus (or rarely I put a small drizzle of balsamic. Crispy green beans are a guilty pleasure of mine and a way to help balance my needs so I dont binge. They are made my birds eye veggie, they are like fried green beans except they are only lightly breaded and I put them in the air fryer. They are frozen.

Have the cup of coffee with breakfast, and stop consuming any caffeine at all after mid-day.
I drink tea in the morning. Why should I not have caffeine after mid day?

RSP ingredients:
All-in-One Grass-Fed Protein
Grass-Fed Whey Protein Concentrate
25 g
All-in-One Fiber and Superfood Blend
Prebiotic Soluble Fiber: VitaFiber™- IMO, Sweet Potato Powder,VitaBerry® Fruit Blend (Organic Strawberry, Organic Raspberry, Organic Blueberry, Organic Tart Cherry, Organic Elderberry, Organic Cranberry), VitaVeggie® Blend (Organic Broccoli, Organic Broccoli Sprouts, Organic Tomato, Organic Carrot, Organic Spinach, Organic Kale), Lactospore® Bacillus Coagulans (1 Billion CFU)

OTHER INGREDIENTS: Cocoa Powder, Natural Flavors, Xanthan Gum, Salt, Sunower Lecithin, Rebaudioside A (Stevia)

Blessed Protein
100% NATURAL INGREDIENTS

Raw Pea Protein Isolate (Sprouted), Natural Flavor, Sunflower Creamer (Sunflower Oil, Maltodextrin, Brown Rice Syrup Solids, d-Alpha Tocopherols), Inulin Fiber, Vegetable Gums (Gum Acacia, Xanthan Gum), Stevia Leaf Extract, Cocoa (processed with alkali), Salt, Psyllium Seed Powder, Annatto Powder (Color).

Old 02-15-2021, 04:44 PM

16,416 posts, read 8,223,904 times
I don't know how people can eat just one meal a day. I tried doing this after reading some fasting advice here and it was not easy.

Old 02-15-2021, 05:00 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,679,394 times
I agree with most of what Ghaati said. I think what he's trying to emphasis is maybe transitioning away from processed foods. Your calories look ok, depends on your goal though and your current weight. I'm guessing your target weight is 120-130 lbs. and you started around 220-230 lbs.

I would just stay on the course and not throw curveballs in like fasting or keto. Try replacing processed foods such as shakes and turkey slices with natural foods. If you can, cut out the deli meat, chips, applesauce and all those shakes. Add in steel cut oats, nuts, bananas, apples, oranges, berries, eggs, Greek yogurt, avocado, even sweet potatoes or quinoa, anything not processed.

I would just stay away from drinking calories in general unless you are trying to put on weight.

As for lunch, just make extra for dinner and throw it in a container for lunch the next day. I usually cut up a bunch of lettuce, add the meat from dinner with some beans and avocado. No dressing needed when you have meat, beans, and avocado. If I dont have leftover dinner, I'll bring yogurt, nuts, and fruit.

The coffee after dinner doesn't matter much as long as you are getting plenty of sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss