Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 721 times

Advertisements

I’ve gained more than 50 pounds as a side effect of my beta blockers, first metropolol then propranolol. Has anybody else experienced this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2022, 09:14 AM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
Exercise can be good for you if done properly.

As far as a tool for losing weight, weak-sauce unless you are doing a LOT.

I would look to tighten-up the diet, and forget about using reason-whatever as
an excuse to overeat/binge-eat/load-up on junk.

Old 09-21-2022, 08:12 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Energy burned through exercise is measured in calories, with a little "c".
Food energy, however, is measured in kilocalories (1,000 calories), which for some reason is shown as "Calories", with a capital "C".

So if you eat 10 Calories of food, you would have to do 10,000 calories of exercise to burn it off.

This little-acknowledged nonsense may be why people expect exercise to do more than it really does.

Old 09-22-2022, 06:18 AM

7,251 posts, read 5,123,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryMinot View Post
I’ve gained more than 50 pounds as a side effect of my beta blockers, first metropolol then propranolol. Has anybody else experienced this?
While weight gain is listed as a side effect for beta blockers, I never found it to be a problem in the 45 yrs that I prescribed it frequently (Pts on Beta blockers tend NOT to die suddenly/ Pts with sudden death also tend to stop paying their med bills suddenly.)....

..The usual guy who needs beta blockers is of the age that a 5 lb annual weight gain is typical, with or without beta-blockers.

In regards weight reduction in general--It's simply calories in vs calories out, although there are certain details that complicate that a little.... Genetics is at the root--those with excessive weight are usually the ones with a genetic make-up that makes them very efficient at burning/storing calories, so the 1500 cal diet that would only, barely maintain the weight on a 150 lb, non-sedentary person would for be way too much for most over-weight people....And those insulin resistant diabetics may need to go as low as only 600 cal to actually lose weight (real hard to maintain good protein/vit/min nutrition & psych health on that. Difficult problem for management).

Old 09-22-2022, 06:34 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
While weight gain is listed as a side effect for beta blockers, I never found it to be a problem in the 45 yrs that I prescribed it frequently (Pts on Beta blockers tend NOT to die suddenly/ Pts with sudden death also tend to stop paying their med bills suddenly.)....

..The usual guy who needs beta blockers is of the age that a 5 lb annual weight gain is typical, with or without beta-blockers.

In regards weight reduction in general--It's simply calories in vs calories out, although there are certain details that complicate that a little.... Genetics is at the root--those with excessive weight are usually the ones with a genetic make-up that makes them very efficient at burning/storing calories, so the 1500 cal diet that would only, barely maintain the weight on a 150 lb, non-sedentary person would for be way too much for most over-weight people....And those insulin resistant diabetics may need to go as low as only 600 cal to actually lose weight (real hard to maintain good protein/vit/min nutrition & psych health on that. Difficult problem for management).
FWIW, I am a middle aged woman on beta blockers for migraines. I am very active and have a healthy diet, but I’ve probably gained a good 10-15 pounds since I started taking them. This is despite eating about the same and exercising twice as much. That said, it seems like I am on the borderline of even being a candidate to take them for migraine since my heart rate is pretty slow on the lowest dose. I was doing a bike workout and felt like I was dying. I sent my stats to my sister who was like “your heart rate is so slow- you weren’t working hard at all!” I don’t want to get to the point where I am eating so little food that it is not sustainable.

Old 11-01-2022, 11:04 AM

846 posts, read 681,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Does it seem weird that even though I incorporated exercise nothing changed?

If you're exercising more but still not losing weight, then it's because your calorie intake has increased.

Do you track your calories and macros everyday?

Old 11-02-2022, 07:52 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,401,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
If you're exercising more but still not losing weight, then it's because your calorie intake has increased.

Do you track your calories and macros everyday?
You're asking someone who posted this in February 2021.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss