Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2021, 08:23 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times

Advertisements

I’ve been distancing for a year now and then more recently we had an ice storm here in southern IL so I was distanced on top of distanced and decided to use the opportunity to expand my herbal knowledge, a thing I’ve had an interest in for a long time.

One of the most interesting things I learned about is digestive bitters, a thing that most of us have vaguely heard about and mainly in the context of alcohol drink mixology. But as it turns out, bitters have a long history of medicinal uses as well and many people (especially in Europe) will have an aperitif of a few drops of bitters mixed into a glass of water or tonic water as a pre-meal delightful way to relax and get the digestive juices flowing. Any number of bitter herbs work for this as it’s the bitter flavor that you need and so pills won’t cut it. It’s supposed to be especially beneficial to the liver but most find that it helps the entire digestive system as taken over time.

I’m reading a book by Guido Masé called The Wild Medicine Solution and in it he states that not only does it get digestive juices flowing and strengthens the liver, but also it lessens the desire for sugary foods and that’s when I really took notice because in a country of sugar addicts I really stand out...I don’t eat sugar, I binge it. So far it’s helping.

After reading this, I took a jar of detox tea that contained several bitter herbs and I crushed them up in a coffee grinder and then covered it with the only alcohol I have in the house, a spiced rum. I also added some cardamom and orange peel for flavor and then steeped for about three weeks, strained out the herbs and then took a bottle to my daughter and another to a friend and they loved them. A few drops in a glass of water is barely bitter but quite aromatic and thus quite tasty and my daughter introduced the idea of the aperitif to her friends. Something tells me they added alcohol to their brew though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 03:00 PM

I was rereading and realized that I forgot to make a very important point. I doubt any of you wish to make yourself some bitters so I’ll just point out that you can get them at a health food store or a liquor store. Yes, the kind that goes into a drink will work just as well. Angostura is a well known brand.

Old 03-14-2021, 12:29 PM

Hmmm, having a hard time building interest in this so I’ll post a link....https://agutsygirl.com/2020/01/08/gu...stive-bitters/

My experience so far with this:

*i enjoy the flavor...especially with some Trader Joe’s citrus flavored sparkling water....I don’t drink much alcohol if at all, but this makes me feel like I’m having a cocktail. Next time I feel comfortable going to a lounge again I’m going to drop some bitters in my sparkling water. It’s a tiny bit bitter, but the flavors of the cardamom and orange peel are more dominant. My daughter laughs at moms remedies but she really likes this one.

*one of the claims for bitters that I found most interesting is that it reduces cravings for sugar. Boy do I need that. I’ve been known to go to the store and get a pint of magnum ice cream, a bag of cookies and a bag of chocolate and finish all before dark. Yeah, throw in some jelly beans or gummies and I’ll eat those too. I can destroy a bag of cookies in thirty minutes flat and still want more. If you give me a box of chocolates they won’t still be there in the morning because my mind won’t rest until they’re gone. And now there is a bag of chocolates that has been on my counter for two days and I’ve only eaten four and there’s still 25 left. They still taste good but I don’t feel the need to keep eating them. If my daughter is lucky there might be some left for her!

*Too soon to say if it’s improved my digestive health but I’ve lost three lbs this week without doing anything more than sipping on my herbal remedies and eating whatever I want. Bitters are supposed to make you have a healthier appetite but mine has mostly kicked back and it needed to.

What if this is all it takes to lose weight? Wouldn’t you want to try it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss