Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 11:34 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chidigo View Post
Eat breakfast, and make it big. I suggest some sort of animal and a serving of fruit.

Eat meals, not snacks. Do solid meals each day, instead of little many times.

Watch your fructose intake, which can disrupt leptin.

If you’re training too much or too hard, either cut back or support it with adequate nutrition and recovery time
Turn off the electronics after dark, and use candles
Consider light therapy, especially if you’re indoors during the day
Practice stress reduction or avoidance
If you're gonna do big breakfast, it's gonna spike blood sugar. Then make it big enough where you don't need lunch. A good diet is learning how to control blood sugar and eating often is the worst thing to do and the later a person eat at night the worst it is since it can affect sleep, disrupt digestion, and many detoxification process that only occurs at night.

Old 04-06-2021, 07:41 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,554,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjuujj View Post
Jeez, the people here are judgemental.

I count my calories on average.

I eat this:

Noon: prepepared salad (250 calories)

Dinner: a meat with steam vedgies and a portion of rice (probably around 600 calories)

Late night: sandwhich of some sort (around 400-500 calories)

And sometimes I wake up too hungry and I'll eat a small 200 calories snack.

That's about what I eat.

I sit around all day working in IT. But I do walk an hour or two hourts a day and do weight training almost every daY.

That's my routine.
1. Dump the rice
2. Dump the sandwich (at least the bread part of it)

Eat just meat, eggs, veggies and dairy. A little fruit and nuts are OK.

Old 04-06-2021, 10:15 PM

57 posts, read 63,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
1. Dump the rice
2. Dump the sandwich (at least the bread part of it)

Eat just meat, eggs, veggies and dairy. A little fruit and nuts are OK.
I tried that, a super low carb diet and at one point, I eat so much protein/fat to curb my appetite that I end up fatter.

I don't get what my problem is lately. I ate 8 sushis today. That's it. 8 little sushis. I am hungry as hell all the time and I barely eat anything to sustain myself and I maintain my weight. Sometimes it even goes a little higher.

I don't believe the theory about starvation mode. This has been pretty much debunked, especially with intermitent fasting.

I used to do much less 5 years ago and I would get ripped. Now I am motivated and dedicated and nothing works.

I am honestly running out of options.

Old 04-07-2021, 06:11 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,657,017 times
Quote:
I tried that, a super low carb diet and at one point, I eat so much protein/fat to curb my appetite that I end up fatter.

I don't get what my problem is lately. I ate 8 sushis today. That's it. 8 little sushis. I am hungry as hell all the time and I barely eat anything to sustain myself and I maintain my weight. Sometimes it even goes a little higher.

I don't believe the theory about starvation mode. This has been pretty much debunked, especially with intermitent fasting.

I used to do much less 5 years ago and I would get ripped. Now I am motivated and dedicated and nothing works.

I am honestly running out of options.
Age catches up with you and metabolism changes. I am six foot and was like 135 pound in college. It gradually plateaued higher and higher over the years, then wham bam in my 50s I topped 200. Believe me I noticed, but didnt really do much. Was 265 when I got diagnosed with diabetes. And no, never was a sugar or junk food addict. But was a carb addict, whole grain based diet, liked my whole wheat pancakes with honey in morning. Rice and lentils a staple. For me carbs never triggered the "hey stupid, you are full" button until I was overly full. Yea those so called healthy whole grain complex carbs.

Ah but you are also trying to double down for quick results. Combining low carb and restricted calories. Yea for you if you are trying to lose a few pounds to fit into the new outfit for the prom. Which you will quickly gain back afterwards.

But its NOT ABOUT STARVING YOURSELF into submission. Even if you have a will of iron, feeling of constant hunger is not sustainable in world with cheap high carb food everywhere. I mentioned I didnt try to limit calories in any way, I ate all I wanted, but even I, as clueless as I was, noticed I was filling up on less. Seriously it didnt look like nearly enough food, or the kind of food that would be filling, but I was full. My ONLY goal as a T2 diabetic was to keep blood sugar under control without injected insulin or other expensive drugs. And I know the calorie counting just doesnt work long term. Yea modern doctors want you as diabetic to eat pretty much what you have been eating only in thimble size amounts. Carb counting with high carb food, which translates to thimble size portions and constant hunger. I am just not a meat eater so didnt have that. It took time, I kept rooting out stuff my body reacted badly to (using blood glucose meter), but not limiting quantity.

Now a healthy person doesnt have the blood sugar to guide them. A healthy non-diabetic can spend the afternoon at the candy store, then top it off with pint ice cream and still not have blood sugar over 100mg/dL. I eliminated ALL grain and beans completely, basically ended up on big raw salads (wide variety veggies not just lettuce and few specs of carrot NO SALAD DRESSING beyond vinegar and olive oil), including non-starchy veggies, nuts, half avocado, half granny smith apple. The Granny Smith has lot less sugar, and amazingly tastes sweet if you arent eating other sweet stuff. The sweet dessert apples at that time would bump my blood sugar, half a Granny Smith wouldnt. Some fruits like berries and peaches ok, other things like banana and grapes, big no-no. I have always preferred my coffee without sugar or dairy in it so still had that as treat. Fruit juice by way is just as bad as a coca cola. You basically squeezed the sugary part out and threw away the fiber. So for instance one glass apple juice has juice (and sugar) of several apples.

If you think you are gaining weight off fat and protein, you are still eating far more carbs than you think you are. Sugars and starches are added to EVERYTHING anymore. Stuff you wouldnt think it would be in.
Corporate America wants to help you reach your BLISS POINT so you will buy more of their product. Plus grain (and grain derived ingredients) is subsidized and very cheap filler. When you become aware of that, its quite a revelation and BIG FRUSTRATION cause it feels like you cant eat anything. Oh and meat not injected or soaked in sugar solution ok, but maybe want to limit dairy, milk has quite bit natural sugar. And lot of things like cottage cheese and yogurt have added sugar and starchy fillers. If it has huge list ingredients, you shouldnt eat it. Seriously compare labels on things like cottage cheese, the high end kind has like two or three ingredients listed. The cheap stuff will have whole back of container listing ingredients in small print, including various STARCH fillers/thickeners. Eating out, well I just cant do that anymore. Other than what you garner through taste, you really have no idea of what you are eating.

Old 04-07-2021, 06:18 AM

4,193 posts, read 2,516,403 times
I gain weight if I eat more than about 1800 calories a day, even when I work out or do a lot of yard work. During Covid isolation I lost weight and was never hungry. I cut out all dairy except for plain greek yogurt, no eggs, no wheat products or products with wheat in it, limited salt, no sugar or similar products and no yeast. (I haven't eaten red meat in over 50 years.) If I really got a sweet craving, I ate pitted dates. Note: initially, I ate eggs, but when I cut them out, I noticed some chronic swelling went down.

Everyone is different. I'm an all or nothing person, so it was just easier to say "no more of this" item than to trigger a craving.

Old 04-07-2021, 10:19 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Jeez, the people here are judgemental.

I count my calories on average.

I eat this:

Noon: prepepared salad (250 calories)

Dinner: a meat with steam vedgies and a portion of rice (probably around 600 calories)

Late night: sandwhich of some sort (around 400-500 calories)

And sometimes I wake up too hungry and I'll eat a small 200 calories snack.
When you say you count your calories, where are you getting the numbers? Are you weighing your food, tracking with an app? Like others have asked, what's exactly on the salad you're eating? What do you consider a a portion of meat or rice? What you might consider one portion is actually 2 or 3 servings, etc.

Old 04-07-2021, 10:24 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,826,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
When you say you count your calories, where are you getting the numbers? Are you weighing your food, tracking with an app? Like others have asked, what's exactly on the salad you're eating? What do you consider a a portion of meat or rice? What you might consider one portion is actually 2 or 3 servings, etc.
You nailed it. It is so easy to miscalculate calories. When the OP said probably I knew right there what the problem was.

Old 04-07-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I always eat the same pre-prepared salad and it says 250 calories on the nutrition facts. So that one is easy to count.

Dinner is a little harde4r to calculate since it varies. A portion of rice for me is half a cup of cooked rice. I eat about a cup.

Old 04-07-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You nailed it. It is so easy to miscalculate calories. When the OP said probably I knew right there what the problem was.
You can think that but I have been counting my calories since my early 20s, when I lost weight and got athletic. I know what I am doing, with some margin of error of course.

I read every nutrition facts of what I eat.

I am not new to this weight loss thing since I weighed what I weigh now in my lates teens and easily got rid of it with exercise and counting calories in my 20s.

Now nothing seems to work. I have been sick for the last week and I barely eat a meal a day because I have no appetite and over-the-counter sinus meds suppresses hunger and my weight is still the same, if not higher. 5 years ago, I would've dropped 10 pounds in a week like this.

How can you explain gaining weight with one meal a day? And I am talking about a small meal.

Old 04-07-2021, 02:43 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,826,116 times
Quote:
You can think that but I have been counting my calories since my early 20s, when I lost weight and got athletic. I know what I am doing, with some margin of error of course.

I read every nutrition facts of what I eat.

I am not new to this weight loss thing since I weighed what I weigh now in my lates teens and easily got rid of it with exercise and counting calories in my 20s.

Now nothing seems to work. I have been sick for the last week and I barely eat a meal a day because I have no appetite and over-the-counter sinus meds suppresses hunger and my weight is still the same, if not higher. 5 years ago, I would've dropped 10 pounds in a week like this.

How can you explain gaining weight with one meal a day? And I am talking about a small meal.
Are you on any medications?
Are you eating high sodium foods?
I cant remember if you said what your gender is, but if you are a woman are you in menopause?
Have you seen a doctor and had blood work done?

I would just for the heck of it, input your meals on Sparkpeople, or Myfitnesspal, or some other site where it will show calories and add everything up.

Your body may be retaining calories because you are eating so few of them, and being sick is probably adding to that. There is such a thing as eating too little, but that will only last for so long and then your body adapts and the weight will come off. Just watch Naked and Afraid - they drop a lot but they are actually starving, and I am not recommending that.
As we age it just gets harder and harder to lose weight, especially for women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.