Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 03:37 PM

57 posts, read 63,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Are you on any medications?
Are you eating high sodium foods?
I cant remember if you said what your gender is, but if you are a woman are you in menopause?
Have you seen a doctor and had blood work done?

I would just for the heck of it, input your meals on Sparkpeople, or Myfitnesspal, or some other site where it will show calories and add everything up.

Your body may be retaining calories because you are eating so few of them, and being sick is probably adding to that. There is such a thing as eating too little, but that will only last for so long and then your body adapts and the weight will come off. Just watch Naked and Afraid - they drop a lot but they are actually starving, and I am not recommending that.
As we age it just gets harder and harder to lose weight, especially for women.
I am a man close to my 40s.

Medication is what first started the weight gain 2 years ago. Seroquel is known to be pretty bad for weight gain. But I have been off of it for two years.

I do often eat sliced ham when I have food cravings, which is insanely high in sodium.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:45 PM

67 posts, read 48,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjuujj View Post
Jeez, the people here are judgemental.

I count my calories on average.

I eat this:

Noon: prepepared salad (250 calories)

Dinner: a meat with steam vedgies and a portion of rice (probably around 600 calories)

Late night: sandwhich of some sort (around 400-500 calories)

And sometimes I wake up too hungry and I'll eat a small 200 calories snack.

That's about what I eat.

I sit around all day working in IT. But I do walk an hour or two hourts a day and do weight training almost every daY.

That's my routine.
You really have to cut the late night snack.
Someone once said being slim means feeling hungry all the time. That is my benchmark.

Old 04-08-2021, 03:39 AM

936 posts, read 825,533 times
Quote:
I eat this:

Noon: prepepared salad (250 calories)

Dinner: a meat with steam vedgies and a portion of rice (probably around 600 calories)

Late night: sandwhich of some sort (around 400-500 calories)

And sometimes I wake up too hungry and I'll eat a small 200 calories snack.

That's about what I eat.
If this is your typical daily diet, I think you're eating too little. It will actually make your metabolism sluggish and your body will do everything it can to hold on to the fat. You should probably be eating more to keep your metabolism revved up.

You also seem to over-estimate the calories in food. For example, I think your dinner is actually under 600.
I'll try to break it down:
Meat (about 150 cal.)
Veggies (about 30 cal. if plain)
Rice (what size is a "portion"? For the sake of argument I'll say 2/3 cups of rice for 160 cal.)
You're only eating about 350 calories for dinner!!

A break down of your late night sandwich:
Two pieces of bread (160 cal.)
Meat for sandwich (about 100 cal)
Veggies on sandwich (so miniscule they don't count)
Mayo (about 60 cal)
The sandwich is only about 300 calories.

Neither Karen Carpenter or Twiggy could live on this diet. You need to eat more--within reason. Most men on a diet should be eating about 1700 to 1800 calories a day to lose weight. About 2000 to 2200 to maintain.

Old 04-08-2021, 04:12 AM

23 posts, read 25,805 times
Cut out the coffee or drink it black. Drink more water.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
If this is your typical daily diet, I think you're eating too little. It will actually make your metabolism sluggish and your body will do everything it can to hold on to the fat. You should probably be eating more to keep your metabolism revved up.

You also seem to over-estimate the calories in food. For example, I think your dinner is actually under 600.
I'll try to break it down:
Meat (about 150 cal.)
Veggies (about 30 cal. if plain)
Rice (what size is a "portion"? For the sake of argument I'll say 2/3 cups of rice for 160 cal.)
You're only eating about 350 calories for dinner!!

A break down of your late night sandwich:
Two pieces of bread (160 cal.)
Meat for sandwich (about 100 cal)
Veggies on sandwich (so miniscule they don't count)
Mayo (about 60 cal)
The sandwich is only about 300 calories.

Neither Karen Carpenter or Twiggy could live on this diet. You need to eat more--within reason. Most men on a diet should be eating about 1700 to 1800 calories a day to lose weight. About 2000 to 2200 to maintain.
You're probably right about my overestimation of calories, but I prefer that to underestimating and end up eating too much.

Like I said previously, I do not agree about that theory that eating too little slows your metabolism. Why would Intermitent Fasting work?

I have been sick for the previous week and I actually dropped 5 pounds from eating basically nothing.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabratha View Post
Cut out the coffee or drink it black. Drink more water.
Does a splash of milk every hour gets in the way of losing weight? I have been wondering about this. Even if the calories are minimal, the sugar in the milk might be countering my fasting.

Old 04-08-2021, 11:07 AM

23 posts, read 25,805 times
Quote:
Does a splash of milk every hour gets in the way of losing weight? I have been wondering about this. Even if the calories are minimal, the sugar in the milk might be countering my fasting.
The problem here is you underestimate how fat dense milk is. It's an extremely calorie-rich drink and dropping it or switching to a low fat variety will work wonders.

Upping your water intake will help counter this (I'd recommend replacing your coffee with a tall glass of water instead) as it will help flush your kidneys and encourage loss of water weight.

Old 04-15-2021, 12:47 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,409,075 times
You are not in a caloric deficit plain and simple.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:04 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,828,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
You are not in a caloric deficit plain and simple.
No, a more convoluted reason of protein, carbs, sugar, metabolism, intermittent fasting, and too much exercise is the reason!

Old 04-15-2021, 08:03 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,409,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
No, a more convoluted reason of protein, carbs, sugar, metabolism, intermittent fasting, and too much exercise is the reason!
You cannot lose weight in a caloric surplus. This is physically impossible regardless of what else is going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss