Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 06:44 PM

57 posts, read 63,697 times

Advertisements

When I was in my late teens, I started gaining weight and got to 235 pounds (I am a 6'1 man). But I would drink, eat badly and do zero exercise.

In my twenties I started working out and stopped drinking I got rid of most of that excess weight VERY QUICKLY despite having terrible night-eating habits.

In my mid-30s I slowly and steadily started gaining weight despite eating better and much less!

Now I am close to 40, I eat a low carb diet and I eat less than my gf (around 1300-1800 calories a day), I walk long walks everyday, I do weight training 30-45 minutes a day and I am still gaining weight, now sitting at 245 pounds.

I have tried intermitted fasting but it didn't do much.

I am always hungry because I try to keep my weight in check but I still feel bloated because of my pot belly. What am I doing wrong?

Old 03-31-2021, 06:16 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,245,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjuujj View Post
When I was in my late teens, I started gaining weight and got to 235 pounds (I am a 6'1 man). But I would drink, eat badly and do zero exercise.

In my twenties I started working out and stopped drinking I got rid of most of that excess weight VERY QUICKLY despite having terrible night-eating habits.

In my mid-30s I slowly and steadily started gaining weight despite eating better and much less!

Now I am close to 40, I eat a low carb diet and I eat less than my gf (around 1300-1800 calories a day), I walk long walks everyday, I do weight training 30-45 minutes a day and I am still gaining weight, now sitting at 245 pounds.

I have tried intermitted fasting but it didn't do much.

I am always hungry because I try to keep my weight in check but I still feel bloated because of my pot belly. What am I doing wrong?
Can you give us a run down of what a day of eating looks like? There is a big difference between 1300 and 1800 and maybe you arent eating as low as you think

Old 03-31-2021, 06:40 AM

596 posts, read 302,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Can you give us a run down of what a day of eating looks like? There is a big difference between 1300 and 1800 and maybe you arent eating as low as you think
I don't even need a rundown. The minute I hear someone say they're eating around 1,300-1800 .calories, it tells me they really don't know what their intake is. I stopped wasting my time with clients that made claims like this a long time ago. It's not worth an argument. But what I do is pose to them a challenge. I've invited more than one to stay with my wife and myself for a weekend and have me monitor everything they eat and all their activity. That is truly the only way to know if they're being honest. Not once did anyone ever take me up on that offer. From my experience, most people do under report the amount of calories they take in.

Old 03-31-2021, 06:46 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,329,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhipps View Post
I don't even need a rundown. The minute I hear someone say they're eating around 1,300-1800 .calories, it tells me they really don't know what their intake is. I stopped wasting my time with clients that made claims like this a long time ago. It's not worth an argument. But what I do is pose to them a challenge. I've invited more than one to stay with my wife and myself for a weekend and have me monitor everything they eat and all their activity. That is truly the only way to know if they're being honest. Not once did anyone ever take me up on that offer. From my experience, most people do under report the amount of calories they take in.
Agreed, most likely the OP is lying to himself.

Old 03-31-2021, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Agreed, most likely the OP is lying to himself.
Jeez, the people here are judgemental.

I count my calories on average.

I eat this:

Noon: prepepared salad (250 calories)

Dinner: a meat with steam vedgies and a portion of rice (probably around 600 calories)

Late night: sandwhich of some sort (around 400-500 calories)

And sometimes I wake up too hungry and I'll eat a small 200 calories snack.

That's about what I eat.

I sit around all day working in IT. But I do walk an hour or two hourts a day and do weight training almost every daY.

That's my routine.

Old 03-31-2021, 06:54 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,329,532 times
Quote:
Not being judgmental at all (rather honest), but losing weight is as simple as calories in minus calories burned. You can tell us what you eat all day long, but if you lie to yourself, you'll keep gaining weight. I can tell you right now, even with what you're self reporting, you're diet is carb rich (sandwich bread and rice), and you need to totally eliminate the snacks if you're serious about losing weight. There is no magical formula, but you have to start being honest with yourself. I'm in IT as well, and haven't been to the gym since COVID, so I had to modify my diet to totally eliminate carbs and I have been able to maintain my weight.

Seriously, good luck to you.

Last edited by LakeLifePA; 03-31-2021 at 07:04 AM..

Old 03-31-2021, 07:48 AM

510 posts, read 447,969 times
[quote=jjuujj;60719972]Jeez, the people here are judgemental.

I eat this:

Dinner: a meat with steam vedgies and a portion of rice (probably around 600 calories)

That's about what I eat.

I sit around all day working in IT. But I do walk an hour or two hourts a day and do weight training almost every daY.

That's my routine.[/QUOTE

You probably need shorter and maybe even less workouts. The over-workout stress along with the dieting can actually slow down your metabolism.

As you get older less stress (physically and emotionally) is better as it takes longer for the body to adjust/recover.

Here's my schedule of diet and exercise that works for me.

Morning- 1/2 cup cereal (raisin bran) with skim milk or 1/2 cup of plain oatmeal with 1/2 banana and 1-2 dates or figs and 1 cup of coffee with skim milk.

Lunch (about 3-4 hours after breakfast):
Tuna salad or chicken salad on english muffin. Sometimes include a small salad with dressing with glass of skim milk.

If you need a snack before dinner (around 3 pm) try an apple or a graham cracker)

Dinner (around 5-6 pm) meat or fish, cup of rice and vegetable (canned or fresh doesn't matter).

If hungry at bedtime I eat a teaspoon of peanut butter or a teaspoon of fat free plain cottage cheese or plain yogurt.

On weekends I allow for a "meal out at a restaurant" and sometimes a treat (eg., ice cream- a mini or small cup from local ice cream stand).

My exercise routine is as follows:

Day1: (typically monday) After breakfast i do a kettlebell workout 3-4 times per week.

I try to do different exercises such as:
Overhead presses
Kettlebell Squats (different types squats each workout: front, side etc..)
Kettlebell bent over rows
Kettlebell bench press (or kettlebell flyes on alternate days) while lying on floor.
Hip thrusts while laying on floor
Side leg raises on floor

Day2: (typically tuesday) ab twists while standing (and holding kettlebells by sides)
Deadlifts with kettlebells
Kettlebell swings
1 Plank for 20-30 seconds
1 Side plank each side for 20-30 seconds
Hip thrusts while laying on floor
Side leg raises
Ab leg raises while laying on floor

Day 3 (wednesday) rest

Day 4; (Thursday) repeat day 1 or day 2 exercises
Day 5: (Friday) repeat day 1 or day 2 exercises
Day or Day 7 (Saturday or Sunday) walking if desire 10-20 minutes)

On exercise days:
I do 3 sets x 5 reps each. Sometimes i complete whole routine (1 set each) and repat for 3x.

Other times I complete 3 setsl of 5 reps in a row for each exercise then move onto the next exercise.

It works for me and doesn't leave me tired.

Other notes:
keep bread down to once a day (eg., english muffin)

I dont drink soda, just milk, water, seltzer waters.)

The key is not to eliminate the foods you like just eat less. Also, try using smaller plates if this helps.

Old 03-31-2021, 08:41 AM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
You do the yoyo thingy with the weight enough times, you are going to be metabolically damaged >>>>>>> insulin-resistance, type-2 diabetes.

The main thing you can do to combat this fact, find a diet that works for you and be fairly strict and consistent..............stop all overeating and binge-eating.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:17 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,245,710 times
Quote:

I eat this:

That's about what I eat.

That's my routine.
I know it doesnt look like a lot, are you actually looking at the calories in each thing or are you just eyeballing it. Averaging or guessing it incredibly easy to overeat without even realizing it.

4 oz of beef is between 250-300 calories per serving depending on the cut. After cooking thats about 3 oz. That is just what fits in the palm of your hand.

4 oz of boneless breast is 140ish calories. (again 3 oz cooked about)

3 oz of pork about 200 calories.

These numbers are before cooking preparation like any oils or sauces.

Rice is 200 calories per serving which is 1 cup cooked but uless you measured it before cooking you could very well be overeating.

Bread is 100 or more calories per slice. Lunchmeat can vary greatly lets say 25 calories per slice. Mayo is 100 calories per tbsp. most people put more than 1 tbsp on a sandwich. cheese is another 100 calories.

Dont eat when you wake up hungry. Thats nonsense. Youre not starving and youre not a baby there is no reason to need a middle of the night snack.

People very often fail when counting calories because they dont count things they think are so low calorie that they dont matter. Ranch dressing has a lot of calories. Mayo. Sugar. BBQ sauce. Butter. Soda. Juice. a handful of nuts. a piece of candy. sprinkle of cheese. fruit. By themselves none (except soda) are too bad. But a couple of them a day and you easily add an extra 500 calories without even realizing it.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I know it doesnt look like a lot, are you actually looking at the calories in each thing or are you just eyeballing it. Averaging or guessing it incredibly easy to overeat without even realizing it.

4 oz of beef is between 250-300 calories per serving depending on the cut. After cooking thats about 3 oz. That is just what fits in the palm of your hand.

4 oz of boneless breast is 140ish calories. (again 3 oz cooked about)

3 oz of pork about 200 calories.

These numbers are before cooking preparation like any oils or sauces.

Rice is 200 calories per serving which is 1 cup cooked but uless you measured it before cooking you could very well be overeating.

Bread is 100 or more calories per slice. Lunchmeat can vary greatly lets say 25 calories per slice. Mayo is 100 calories per tbsp. most people put more than 1 tbsp on a sandwich. cheese is another 100 calories.

Dont eat when you wake up hungry. Thats nonsense. Youre not starving and youre not a baby there is no reason to need a middle of the night snack.

People very often fail when counting calories because they dont count things they think are so low calorie that they dont matter. Ranch dressing has a lot of calories. Mayo. Sugar. BBQ sauce. Butter. Soda. Juice. a handful of nuts. a piece of candy. sprinkle of cheese. fruit. By themselves none (except soda) are too bad. But a couple of them a day and you easily add an extra 500 calories without even realizing it.
I have been binge eating in the middle of the night since I am 5. I used to eat entire jars of peanut butter or whatever I could get my hands on. It's kind of an eating disorder. But it's a bad habit that is extremely hard to break. I actually have a lot more control over it than I used too (rarely going over 200 cals).

Weirdly enough, I used to eat insane amounts of calories and never got fat if I worked out a bit. But since I have been 35 year old, I eat less during the day and at night and it seems like I get fat anyway. I know age is a factor but it seems like it happened too fast. I am not 75 yo, I am 39. I gained 60 pounds in 4 years with better eating habits. Something is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss