Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2021, 07:53 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,730,041 times

Advertisements

Now that my body has slimmed down after losing over 40lbs in 2 years since posting my Keto diet thread. I will share some downsides of the weight loss.

- Almost all my clothing has to be given away or tossed, I couldn't fit most of them except for t-shirts. All my pants are just too big.

I didn't realize this but I actually lost some circumference of hats and caps. My baseball caps suddenly gotten looser had to be tighten down. Didn't realize that fats can accumulate on your head too.

- Shopping for clothing has been more challenging than I thought

Everywhere I looked for pants, it's almost always a size 32 being the tightest. Hard to find a size 28 waist and size 30 is doable but slightly loose.

Shirts are also tricky since a M size shirt fits sometimes and sometimes too loose. Size S is good but sometimes also loose, there's really not good standards in terms of sizes. In the past I always wore size L for shirts but I've moved down to size S.

Long pants are the hardest to find as size 28 waist is perfect now but try finding a size 28W + 32L pants.

- Going out to eat with people is the most polarizing.

People all wonder what the heck can I eat? I would say 90% of stuff from fast food places is off my menu. At restaurants I could eat about 20-30% depending on where I go. Definitely no to the breadsticks, snacks, desserts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2021, 01:37 PM

575 posts, read 339,847 times
I hear ya there ! I lost 60 pounds in last 7 months (270 -> 210) and the clothing is definitely a problem that is not easy to fix and most definitely a big problem to buy well-fitting clothing online.

I've bought few expensive pairs of pants in December, as a "treat" for losing ~30 pounds.

Wore them, like, 3 times, now they're unuseable even with a belt as they have to be folded like 7 times, which not only looks ridiculous, but feels pretty uncomfortable.

I even bought 2 pairs that needed, like, 5 inches to even close up, as a motivation (we almost returned them as it was deemed as too absurd to get there).
Now they are falling off.

I spent a lot of money on brand new clothes and now I need to do it again...

I absolutely cannot go eat out with other people anymore. What they consider "healthy and good" is laughable ridiculous to me now and I simply get up and leave.

I am simply not willing to put crap into my body anymore and if they feel that's judgmental, good on ya, mate

Old 05-24-2021, 11:12 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,156,686 times
Good for you, that's quite the accomplishment. Given the duration, perhaps you have a good system to keep it under control long-term. That's definitely the issue I've had across the decades.

I took a related avenue, down 151 lbs and guessing another 15 wouldn't hurt to hit some sort of arbitrary "goal." I discuss this with my nutritional doctor (ND) monthly. She helps the cause, btw. Call it 10 months since turning things around in my case.

Goodwill is my friend, and yes replacing clothing is an expensive bummer. I've sold a modest amount on eBay, a few objectively nice items. Slacks are disposable anyway IMO but jeans, yeah: not cheap. Smallest waist I've ever had as an adult was 32w, so 28w is a bit outside the "bell curve" and that indeed makes thing harder. Americans are larger critters, and they stock for the norm not the outliers. Goodwill has more than a few well-curated items for men at low cost, if patient and knowledgeable. Rebuying expensive clothes mid-stream in my case wouldn't have been too bright, so I avoided that thanks. Wearing baggy clothes ranks high on the faux pas scale: poorest possible taste, along with obsolete glasses and crummy haircuts. And so much more...I digress.

Oh yes, my hats fit a bit better. Good call out. I have a few fedoras that fit like the old days.

Going out to eat: funny, stopped by a well-known chain for breakfast yesterday. That's rare anymore since the behavior led me to woe in years past. Huge portions and nutritionally heinous products, as OP mentions. Had a side of eggs (2x) and bacon (4x). That's twice as much as a human should eat, so boxed half and took it home. Had the bacon this AM, the egg nibbled at only as they're cheap and don't store well. Once again illustrating that dining out is a non-starter! Also the waitstaff always wonders if I'm dissatisfied (not their fault: they love large people for generous tips and plenty of dishes served). Nor was the above anything I should have paid nine bucks for, but there you go.

Old 05-24-2021, 06:39 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,730,041 times
I still cheated a few times but certainly I don't do any continuous indulgence. I think that's the main problem with most people is that they continue to eat without giving the body a break. You can certainly have a burger and fries including soda once awhile thing and have bigger gaps of intermittent fasting to allow the body to burn the food down.

I've had the most issues with pants because having a slim waistline now just difficult to get comfortable tight fitting clothes.

Old 05-29-2021, 08:38 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,265,719 times
Congratulations on losing!

I follow this blogger for maintaining the loss: TheInspiredEater.com.

Old 06-04-2021, 07:18 PM

425 posts, read 419,899 times
I realized after losing 50+ pounds that "clothes off the rack" just won't work for me anymore. What is produced for mass sale is based on the typical American girth.

I accepted the fact that I should have my shirts tailored, and just focused on the tail and arm length in making selections.

For a man, it should not be that big a deal to pay for tailoring. You look for some $10-$15 shirts on clearance, have them tailored for $30 or so each, and they last several years. You don't need a *huge* wardrobe, just a set of shirts that actually fit properly.

It was quite amusing to some of my tailors to see how much cloth from the sides that they had to cut out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss