Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 12:16 PM

7,145 posts, read 12,683,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post
She is doing everything right. No need to add anymore fat or calories.
You know that the keto plan calls for high fat, moderate protein and low carbs, yes?

The poster isn't eating high fats...therefore isn't losing the weight she'd like to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2021, 01:17 PM

48,545 posts, read 34,911,433 times
I stay away from that.

Studies have shown that if you do go back to eating carbs, you will have a worse reaction than when you started.

Try looking up Dr. Gregor's explanation of the studies on Nutrition Facts if your interested.

I get a lot of labs on a regular basis, so the 2 times I did keto I saw that my protein went up in my urine (bad) and my inflammation levels were way up (which I could tell by the fact that my RA flared up so bad I could barely walk).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-03-2021, 01:45 PM

30,439 posts, read 19,211,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I've been concerned about my Covid 15 and my rising fasting glucose levels on my lab work.

Sooo....I got hold of a used copy of the New Atkins Diet Revolution and plunged into the induction phase. Amazed that I wasn't hungry...the fats seemed to tell my appetite I wasn't hungry (I used to get ravenous soon after eating cereal or a bagel for breakfast).

It's pretty amazing that I'm eating less, but not at all hungry.

Lost eight pounds after two weeks.

Continuing to lose weight now, not as quickly as the first two weeks, but steady. Also went back to the gym as I feel better in many ways when I exercise--I'm high energy and without exercising, my BP gets too high from self-stress.

It's a change in eating for sure but I'm not missing the white, processed carbs much at all. And I love bacon, fish and veggies--especially big garden salads, so that helps a lot.

I think my fasting glucose levels were rising due to my bread, pasta and rice consumption...

Anyhow, if you've not tried eating low carbs and high fats, you might want to give it a whirl.

If you're like me, semi-starvation calorie restrictive diets always failed.

Who wants to be always hungry? It made me unpleasant and thinking about food all the time. And then I'd splurge--and it wasn't on celery...lol...

Best of luck to you all...I've become a believer in the LCHF way of eating. I don't feel deprived.

Yep, a LCHF diet works great for me. I don't find that I'm hungry hardly ever and I maintain a very healthy weight after losing 55 lbs. after changing my eating habits.

Fats that I eat a lot are:
- olive oil
avocados
- Cheese
- Macadamia nuts

Old 08-05-2021, 05:06 PM

22,666 posts, read 24,627,441 times
I do LCHF, and to be honest, my energy-levels and mood are better without all the added fat.

Sure, I can easily limit my carbs to under 20-grams, and limit my protein. But adding a lot of fat calories seems to work against my normal vim & vigor. I just try to eat things that normally are very fatty, without adding extra fat for calories/macronutrient-ratio-correction.

Some people who eat a lot of their calories from fat can develop excess sebum production.....making their skin oily and greasy. That is me, glop on lots of added fat and my skin gets really greasy.

Another bleeeeechy thing that comes with eating too many calories from fat, many people have greasepoops.........their body just cannot process all that fat they down, so it comes out the other end.

Old 09-10-2021, 12:38 PM

I lost around 8 pounds on this, but had some GI issues--and was, truth told, tired of a meat-centric diet that had so many restrictions..

I switched to a mostly plants/fruits and whole grain way of eating with lower fats and GI issues went away and my energy level is better...

Eating some fish and eggs once in a while and feel I can maintain this way of eating indefinitely...

Guess everyone's body and food processing is different.

Old 09-10-2021, 08:02 PM

Quote:
I lost around 8 pounds on this, but had some GI issues--and was, truth told, tired of a meat-centric diet that had so many restrictions..

I switched to a mostly plants/fruits and whole grain way of eating with lower fats and GI issues went away and my energy level is better...

Eating some fish and eggs once in a while and feel I can maintain this way of eating indefinitely...

Guess everyone's body and food processing is different.
Due to medical conditions, I get a lot of blood work. When did keto, my numbers were horrible.

When I stay more plant based, all my numbers are good.

Keto did reduce my midsection, as much as I like that, it's not worth my general health.

Old 09-11-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Due to medical conditions, I get a lot of blood work. When did keto, my numbers were horrible.

Keto did reduce my midsection, as much as I like that, it's not worth my general health.
I don't know about the blood work yet--next test this Dec. Will be very curious to see how 95% pescatarian diet changes my numbers.

Having fun experimenting with whole grains that are new to me--finding them very satisfying. Just got an Instant Pot and that will help with cooking dried beans and the longer-cooking whole grains.

We really like oven-crisped tofu and I have some new tempeh recipes that sound yummy.

I like to cook and this new path is exciting for me...

Someone on this board recommended The Buddhist Chef and he has some tempting and easy veggie recipes on his web site...

Old 09-11-2021, 09:06 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,796,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

I am assuming you are talking about cholesterol numbers because that's what many keto dieters report. They have lost weight, their insulin resistance is gone, their diabetes is greatly reduced, and they feel great. Then they have a cholesterol test and the numbers are high. Is this cause for concern? Yes and no. Yes, if you believe in the "high cholesterol causes heart diseases" myths. No, if you believe the results you see with own eyes and feel in your own body: the lost weigh, lower insulin resistance, and feeling great.

David Diamond (Phd) debunking the "high cholesterol causes heart disease" myths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inwfSkSGvQw

Peter Attia (MD): straight dope on cholesterol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GDx5sObceI&t=1387s

The American Heart Association published false guidelines for profits.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/health-news_b_4398304

Last edited by davidt1; 09-11-2021 at 09:17 AM..

Old 09-11-2021, 09:40 AM

Why I did keto my inflammation markers and protein in urine (bad for kidneys) went way up.

Old 09-11-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I don't know about the blood work yet--next test this Dec. Will be very curious to see how 95% pescatarian diet changes my numbers.

Having fun experimenting with whole grains that are new to me--finding them very satisfying. Just got an Instant Pot and that will help with cooking dried beans and the longer-cooking whole grains.

We really like oven-crisped tofu and I have some new tempeh recipes that sound yummy.

I like to cook and this new path is exciting for me...

Someone on this board recommended The Buddhist Chef and he has some tempting and easy veggie recipes on his web site...

I just made black bean brownies. So good. We eat a lot of grains. I love making Buddha bowls, as you can make them with any flavor profile you may crave.

So far the only grain that has baffled me is amaranth.

Frequently my breakfast (I make a big batch in instapot) is mixed grain porridge (millet, steel cut oats, barley, wheat berries) with nuts and dried fruits. Alternative milk and fresh fruits on tops.

I use monk fruit sugar (doesn't spike your glucose).

I love wild rice "pilaf", tons of veggies can go in it, then we add fresh herbs and arugula before serving, and a fried egg on top.

A lot of our meals are vegetarian, just because we like it.

My main goal for food is to have a wide variety of plant food each day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss