Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 09:46 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,272,145 times

Advertisements

My doctor put me on the DASH diet since I put on 35 lbs during quarantine. Turned out that this diet was not what I expected. It is actually easy to follow. I am allowed one day a week to eat out. I do miss the sweets I was consuming. Exercising was difficult when I first started. I lost a lot of muscle doing nothing at home. I lose, on average, one pound a week. I would like to lose faster, but doc said that is a good way to set myself up to gain it all back.

Has anyone else tried this diet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2021, 06:09 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,045,402 times
It's a good way to eat. Don't think of it as a diet but as a way to live. Going on "a diet" to lose weight, then going back to your regular eating, is a recipe for failure. You need to change the way you think about food.

Old 12-25-2021, 01:45 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
I haven't done it strictly, but have learned to eat more healthy, plant based meals as a result of Covid. I had nothing better to do other than impove my cooking skills. I figured I would learn to cook healthy, plant based, Mediterranean style meals. It turned out I actually LIKED eating this way.

I still have issues with soda and junk food. But I definitely eat healthier than before and eat less soda/junk food than I did before.

The only thing I'd add is I also try to do a fast once a week. I never do it that often. But I try doing a 24 hour fast once a week from late afternoon/early evenin Saturdy into Sunday...then something comes up. But I find if I try to do it once a week, I'll actually end up fasing once a month.

More and more evidence shows fasting is good for your health as well as weight loss. I find it also motivates me to eat healthy before and after I fast. Eating healthy before helps me keep the fast for the whole time. You want to eat healthy and moderately after the fast as well.

Old 12-25-2021, 01:57 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Some of my favorite recipes that work with a DASH diet:

Sweet Potato Stir Fry:

https://tasty.co/recipe/sweet-potato-stir-fry

Easy Greek Red Lentil Soup:

https://www.themediterraneandish.com...l-soup-recipe/

15 Minute Chickpea Spinach Salad:

https://www.veggiessavetheday.com/me...hickpea-salad/

I generally add some cashews, 1/3 cup of couscous, and feta cheese to the above recipe.

20 Minute Moroccan Chickpea Soup:

https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/moroccan-chickpea-soup/

Black Bean and Couscous Salad:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/24...ouscous-salad/

For the above recipe, I cut the couscous in half, add an extra bell pepper, as well as some feta cheese, kalamata olives, and cashews. Sometimes I add all of those, sometimes not, depending on what I have on hand. But cutting back on the couscous and adding the other ingredients makes it taste even better and it's arguably healthier as well.

Moroccan Chicken and Couscous soup:

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/...-couscous-soup

Not the healthiest of the bunch, but you can substitute brown rice, and add some chopped celery or carrots if you want.

I also add turmeric and black pepper to most of my soups and salad dressings as turmeric blends well in mos soup & salad dressing recipes. Turmeric is a very healthy spice (good for preventing heart disease, cancer, alzheimers/dementia) and black pepper helps increase its absorption.

Old 12-30-2021, 09:50 AM

Thanks for the recipes. This eating plan is really easy to follow. I find that on my 'day off' I don't go crazy, I just treat myself to something not on the plan.

It's nice that I can still have Kentucky Fried Chicken. I just need to plan for it in my meals.

Old 03-10-2022, 08:36 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,656,070 times
I think DASH is a smart way of eating. Not only for weight control but for heart and blood pressure health, too.

It's not a diet for us, it's a way of eating that is delicious, filling, and not too pricey at the grocery store.

We have a 2004 edition of a Reader's Digest published book: Eat to Beat High Blood Pressure.

The book is filled with terrific DASH recipes. They are not over-complicated with many pricey ingredients. More simple--and yummy.

I like that recipes not only give calorie count but also Blood Pressure nutrients. This helps me get enough magnesium and potassium and calcium--all of which help lower blood pressure. Heart healthy, too!

Old 03-12-2022, 02:21 PM

Went from 191 to 184. Not hungry, occasionally grumpy. Can't wait to get all of the weight off! I am also back to enjoying pilates at the local Y.

Old 03-17-2022, 07:24 AM

3,688 posts, read 2,408,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
My doctor put me on the DASH diet since I put on 35 lbs during quarantine. Turned out that this diet was not what I expected. It is actually easy to follow. I am allowed one day a week to eat out. I do miss the sweets I was consuming. Exercising was difficult when I first started. I lost a lot of muscle doing nothing at home. I lose, on average, one pound a week. I would like to lose faster, but doc said that is a good way to set myself up to gain it all back.

Has anyone else tried this diet?
Was this an MD?

Old 03-17-2022, 10:13 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,064,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
It's a good way to eat. Don't think of it as a diet but as a way to live. Going on "a diet" to lose weight, then going back to your regular eating, is a recipe for failure. You need to change the way you think about food.
This. The idea is to permanently change the way you eat and think of food to become healthier. You're there when you are no longer eagerly anticipating "days off" --- it has become your lifestyle, like second nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I haven't done it strictly, but have learned to eat more healthy, plant based meals as a result of Covid. I had nothing better to do other than impove my cooking skills. I figured I would learn to cook healthy, plant based, Mediterranean style meals. It turned out I actually LIKED eating this way.
Yes! If you eat whole foods you like, prepared in healthy ways you enjoy, it's an easier transition away from the overly processed American diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Was this an MD?
DASH is for hypertension. An MD could have prescribed it for that or to prevent it. Weight loss (if one is overweight) is a side-effect of a whole foods, plant-based eating pattern like DASH.

Some people with hypertension are not overweight but need to change their dietary habits to control it. They should give DASH a try also.

Old 03-17-2022, 12:12 PM

I developed high blood pressure when I put on the weight. During the holidays, I added more weight. I am hoping that the high blood pressure will go away when I lose the weight. I am losing 1/2 to 1 pound a week. I am not hungry although I still want things I shouldn't have. Some foods I don't eat even tho I can because I have a weakness for them (ice cream, potato chips!).

I am doing this under a doctor's care. I check my blood sugar, and my blood pressure three times a week. When I see the doctor, I bring the record with me and he scans it into my records. I have my blood pressure machine checked at the doctor's office periodically to make sure it is still accurate.

So far, my sugar is fine (A1C 5.0). Blood pressure is starting to come down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss