Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 12:05 PM

310 posts, read 325,708 times

Advertisements

I gained the quarantine 15 and I am trying to lose it. Losing weight has always been fairly easy for me as well as maintaining it through exercise.
I am having a hard go of it now because I am on 3 different drugs that can cause weight gain. The drugs are non negotiable as in I must take them.

I am at 1200 calories a day and riding my Peloton for 30 minutes a day, plus walking, plus some body resistance training. My husband is doing the same thing, except with higher calories. We have been doing this for 2 weeks. He lost 2.5 pounds the first week an 2.8 pounds the second.

I lost 1.5 pounds the first week and zero the second. Arghhhh!

My diet is all fresh foods, and low carb. Lots of vegetables and protein. I do eat oatmeal with blueberries and raspberries every day. I also eat an apple daily for a snack and sometimes an orange after dinner. I cannot do low carb in the mornings. The oatmeal keeps me full until lunch.

Anyone else in the same boat? BTW I am also 60 and female and that just adds another level of difficulty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2022, 12:12 PM

7,245 posts, read 4,576,753 times
Fasting.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:44 AM

761 posts, read 452,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post
I gained the quarantine 15 and I am trying to lose it. Losing weight has always been fairly easy for me as well as maintaining it through exercise.
I am having a hard go of it now because I am on 3 different drugs that can cause weight gain. The drugs are non negotiable as in I must take them.

I am at 1200 calories a day and riding my Peloton for 30 minutes a day, plus walking, plus some body resistance training. My husband is doing the same thing, except with higher calories. We have been doing this for 2 weeks. He lost 2.5 pounds the first week an 2.8 pounds the second.

I lost 1.5 pounds the first week and zero the second. Arghhhh!

My diet is all fresh foods, and low carb. Lots of vegetables and protein. I do eat oatmeal with blueberries and raspberries every day. I also eat an apple daily for a snack and sometimes an orange after dinner. I cannot do low carb in the mornings. The oatmeal keeps me full until lunch.

Anyone else in the same boat? BTW I am also 60 and female and that just adds another level of difficulty.
The oatmeal by itself is not a problem as long as it's not one of those oatmeal products that has all kinds of additives like sweetener etc.. I have oatmeal in the morning with a very small piece of Organic Baker's Chocolate melted into the oatmeal. Baker's Chocolate is 100% chocolate with no sugar and no milk.

A small orange is okay too but navel oranges are super sweet. Instead I would get the regular Florida orange. It's a lot less sweet. I have one small Mandarin orange per day and other non-sweet fruit like berries.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
The oatmeal by itself is not a problem as long as it's not one of those oatmeal products that has all kinds of additives like sweetener etc.. I have oatmeal in the morning with a very small piece of Organic Baker's Chocolate melted into the oatmeal. Baker's Chocolate is 100% chocolate with no sugar and no milk.

A small orange is okay too but navel oranges are super sweet. Instead I would get the regular Florida orange. It's a lot less sweet. I have one small Mandarin orange per day and other non-sweet fruit like berries.
My oatmeal is plain, no sweeteners. Those are gross. I don't think the orange is the problem at this point. I think my diet is fine. Its just very frustrating to do everything right and the results are dismal. The weight is starting to come off but its about a 1/2 pound a week. I will just keep doing what I am doing.

Old 01-25-2022, 07:17 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,714,946 times
OP I am not sure there is much you can do. I have the same issue. Both medications I take are for my migraines and I would much rather have some weight gain and be functional than have two weeks of migraines a month where I can’t do what I want. I’m basically like you with the exercise. I don’t think I eat as restrictive a diet as you, but I’m basically eating the same as what I ate before, exercising more, and am not able to get the weight off. If you are not burning a whole lot of calories generally (which is not unusual for older women), it’s not realistic or healthy to expect that you’ll be at a 7K deficit on a weekly basis.

Old 01-25-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
OP I am not sure there is much you can do. I have the same issue. Both medications I take are for my migraines and I would much rather have some weight gain and be functional than have two weeks of migraines a month where I can’t do what I want. I’m basically like you with the exercise. I don’t think I eat as restrictive a diet as you, but I’m basically eating the same as what I ate before, exercising more, and am not able to get the weight off. If you are not burning a whole lot of calories generally (which is not unusual for older women), it’s not realistic or healthy to expect that you’ll be at a 7K deficit on a weekly basis.
I agree with your input. I would never ditch my meds. Vanity over health is not a great idea.
Here is the good news. I have started to lose. I have lost 4 pounds so far. I am okay with that - in fact I am very happy with it. Maybe it just took time for my body to adjust to the new regimen.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:35 AM

15,015 posts, read 12,225,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post
My oatmeal is plain, no sweeteners. Those are gross. I don't think the orange is the problem at this point. I think my diet is fine. Its just very frustrating to do everything right and the results are dismal. The weight is starting to come off but its about a 1/2 pound a week. I will just keep doing what I am doing.

That's all you can do if you must take those medications. I've been in the same boat for many years, but like you, there is no option for me to come off those meds. In fact, the meds have been increased over time.

You just do what you're doing, keep plugging along, and sooner or later you will see results.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
That's all you can do if you must take those medications. I've been in the same boat for many years, but like you, there is no option for me to come off those meds. In fact, the meds have been increased over time.

You just do what you're doing, keep plugging along, and sooner or later you will see results.
Yep, plugging along is all I can do. I am happy with any number on the scale that goes down. I only need to lose 15 pounds, but because it is not a lot I can add that to why I am not losing faster.

Getting old aint easy! I just want to fit in my jeans!

Old 08-15-2022, 07:45 AM

7,151 posts, read 12,710,293 times
Yes, I gained the Covid 15, too.

Once I started back to the gym and stopped my nervous & bored over-eating, the weight has dropped off. Down 14 pounds & back to pre-Cvoid clothes. Took 3-4 months.

Nothing complicated--I did start making one meal a day a huge salad so I suppose I'm eating fewer calories on a daily basis.

And making my "snacks" an apple or a few nuts. No junk food at all. Chips and such are dangerous and not worth the calories.

I avoid the junk food aisles at the store completely.

Old 08-15-2022, 11:45 AM

10,925 posts, read 7,460,634 times
I recently heard the weight gain referred to as "the Covid 19". And that's about what I gained, but decided to make the second half of isolation about eating healthy and lost it all again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss