Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 09:45 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times

Advertisements

Although I have been on a low carb diet before, and I like it for several reasons, this time I’m strictly calorie counting. I would like some ideas.

I eat whatever I want, but at 1200, I am done for the day. Frequently, I’m under, without being deprived at all.I have a good simple calorie diary app, so I always know where I am calorie wise through the day.

Anyway here’s a breakfast I like, 168 calories and very filling.

Dave’s Killer 12 grain thin sliced bread topped with an egg, fried in Pam.

Or:
1/2 large bagel, 1/2 medium avocado, 1 t. olive oil, salt and pepper. 375 calories
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2022, 10:00 AM

310 posts, read 323,869 times
I am eating 1200 calories a day and here is what my day looks like:

Plain oatmeal with fresh or frozen, no sugar added blueberries and raspberries. Sugar free syrup - tablespoon or a bit more.

Lunch is usually a hard boiled egg and a yogurt. I love the Chobani low sugar Madagascar vanilla.

Dinners are a protein usually about 3 - 4 ounces in a salad. I like to roast veggies and add them in. I try not to eat any grain carbs except maybe quinoa, faro, black rice, or some other whole grain.

Olive oil, grape seed oil, and avocado and sometimes cheese are my fats.

Snacks are apples and oranges - they are so good this time of year. I like an orange after dinner.

Old 01-12-2022, 10:31 AM

3,126 posts, read 1,015,751 times
I make soups in a big pot and eat from it daily for a few days. Veg. soups with different veggies. I put mushrooms in it also, I love them. Add tomatoes juice (Italian), fresh parsley (from my balcony garden) and beaten eggs at the end. It's delicious.

I also eat lots of salads. One recipe that I like and make is raw salad with mayo. One rutabagas and 2 carrots, grated, raw. Add salt and fresh parsley. Then add Paleo mayo (made with avocados) and it's done! Very easy and very good.

Another one: mix baked red beats (cooled, then cut them small) with horseradish with mayo (I buy it like that from the store) and this salad is very good to be eaten with protein, like chicken breast or something else.

The third one: green beans (boiled and let to cool) cut. Add fresh garlic cut small. Add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, fresh parsley and Kalamata olives. I love this one! Do not meet the Queen of England after eating this salad! (garlic!!!)

Bon appetite!

Old 01-12-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post
I make soups in a big pot and eat from it daily for a few days. Veg. soups with different veggies. I put mushrooms in it also, I love them. Add tomatoes juice (Italian), fresh parsley (from my balcony garden) and beaten eggs at the end. It's delicious.

I also eat lots of salads. One recipe that I like and make is raw salad with mayo. One rutabagas and 2 carrots, grated, raw. Add salt and fresh parsley. Then add Paleo mayo (made with avocados) and it's done! Very easy and very good.

Another one: mix baked red beats (cooled, then cut them small) with horseradish with mayo (I buy it like that from the store) and this salad is very good to be eaten with protein, like chicken breast or something else.

The third one: green beans (boiled and let to cool) cut. Add fresh garlic cut small. Add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, fresh parsley and Kalamata olives. I love this one! Do not meet the Queen of England after eating this salad! (garlic!!!)

Bon appetite!
I can imagine those strong flavors and they sound good. My only issue is with the mayonnaise. I love it, but a lot of calories.

Last edited by gentlearts; 01-12-2022 at 01:49 PM..

Old 01-12-2022, 01:05 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,461,394 times
Speaking of Mayo: My latest creation
In a bowl:
1 can tuna drained: 100 cals
2 TBS Low Fat Mayo (Kraft is 35 cals a serving): 70 cals
Sprinkle with maybe 2 tbspoons canned peas: 40 cals
Mix it together.

Heat up for 30 seconds in microwave. Top with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese/ and or garlic salt. Tastes like tuna casserole.
Less than 300 cals.

Old 01-12-2022, 03:05 PM

7,596 posts, read 4,165,130 times
These are great ideas. Thanks, Gentlearts, for starting the thread.

For lunch, I eat overnight oats (250 calories) with mixed berry compote (50 calories).
Another quick low-calorie meal is "5 ingredient pizza tortilla" from My Fitness Plan. It is a whole wheat tortilla but I used low-carb tortillas for even fewer calories. Tomato sauce (with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes), spinach, and cheese. Bake in the oven and that was 216 calories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFhKZmnFBN4

I would like to help with dinner but I don't calorie count at that part of the day.

Old 01-12-2022, 03:30 PM

Like elyn02 said... Dinners are the hardest.

Old 01-13-2022, 08:57 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,056,924 times
For dinner I often have a bowl of Special K with fresh fruit or frozen blueberries, and almond milk (30 calories per 8 oz.) It's a great low calorie meal. I don't often eat a big dinner, main meal is at lunch. I just add a salad to whatever I am having for lunch.

Old 01-13-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
For dinner I often have a bowl of Special K with fresh fruit or frozen blueberries, and almond milk (30 calories per 8 oz.) It's a great low calorie meal. I don't often eat a big dinner, main meal is at lunch. I just add a salad to whatever I am having for lunch.
If only I didn’t have a husband who expects a big dinner.

Old 01-18-2022, 08:09 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,151,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Although I have been on a low carb diet before, and I like it for several reasons, this time I’m strictly calorie counting. I would like some ideas.

I eat whatever I want, but at 1200, I am done for the day. Frequently, I’m under, without being deprived at all.I have a good simple calorie diary app, so I always know where I am calorie wise through the day.

Anyway here’s a breakfast I like, 168 calories and very filling.

Dave’s Killer 12 grain thin sliced bread topped with an egg, fried in Pam.

Or:
1/2 large bagel, 1/2 medium avocado, 1 t. olive oil, salt and pepper. 375 calories
Awesome for you. My opinion as a chronic fat person is "strictly" calorie counting isn't the greatest idea, but "generally" doing so definitely helps. That being: food logging is to see general trends over time. Maybe look at overall calories, fat, carbs, and protein. Sugars and sodium aren't bad to observe either. I've been doing this year and a half, post WLS, and do find it quite helpful to see if Inputs > Outputs on a consistent basis. Outputs I measure mostly from Garmin's MARQ Expedition that seldom leaves my wrist. My ND's body comp scale also provides a decent base metabolic rate (BMR) or resting MR. For me that's quite close to the below(1):
  • Daily exercise or intense exercise 3-4 times/week 2,507
  • Intense exercise 6-7 times/week 2,790

IF my caloric intake matches the above, approximately, I neither gain nor lose. If under, I lose. If over, my weight snuck up a few lbs over a two week period in December. I've established this with data past year and a half, maps back quite well actually.

I question if healthy adults can sustain 1,200 cals/day. Couple weeks, couple months, then it's back to the races. This caused yo-yo dieting habits in me for decades, I'm an unfortunate expert at that before taking more radical steps discussed in other threads.

Buuuut: you asked so I'll share a keto pancake recipe I like, 3-4 days/week past c. 4 months:

1/3 cup Keto pancake mix (various brands)
1/3 cup almond flour
1 egg
1/3 cup water, coffee, berry juice, or etc. (I usually use leftover coffee or berry juice)
Dash of cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg

Serve with:

Thawed berries if-desired, or other low-glycemic fruit once on the griddle
Yogurt (I use Greek w/berries typically)
Pat of real butter (1 tblsp)

Mix well. 1/2 batch is one cake (serving), cooked on a non-stick pan or griddle medium heat for 2 min/side. Remainder keeps well in the fridge up to several days.

(1) Calculator.net, "BMR Calculator"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss