Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 06:52 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,915,037 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure what to do. I exercise daily walking a couple of miles and light weight lifting. I am a 60 year old male and have lost about 10 lbs but hit a wall. I am at 258 lbs and 6'4 is my height. I want to get to 250 and go from there.

I have lowered sugar and carb intake but my biggest problem is, I'm always hungry.

I am open to suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2022, 06:54 PM

798 posts, read 505,099 times
Have you tried fasting? Sugar free Jello counts during fasting.

Old 02-28-2022, 06:55 PM

310 posts, read 325,071 times
You are consuming more calories that you are burning. Write down everything you eat and then go over it. That will give you your answer.

Old 02-28-2022, 06:56 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,915,037 times
The problem is my dang appetite. How do I curb it?

Old 02-28-2022, 06:56 PM

3,470 posts, read 2,454,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I'm not sure what to do. I exercise daily walking a couple of miles and light weight lifting. I am a 60 year old male and have lost about 10 lbs but hit a wall. I am at 258 lbs and 6'4 is my height. I want to get to 250 and go from there.

I have lowered sugar and carb intake but my biggest problem is, I'm always hungry.

I am open to suggestions
What are you eating?

"Lowered sugar and carb intake" means nothing. If you're eating a loaf of bread and 4 slices of cake, and reduce that to a loaf of bread minus one slice and only three and a half slices of cake, you're still eating too much crap.

Old 02-28-2022, 07:06 PM

7,150 posts, read 12,699,149 times
My advice is eating a lot of bulky vegetables and fruit...high water content bulky veggies/fruits fill your stomach and makes you feel full...for example, a huge green salad (add mushrooms, broccoli, red bell pepper, cukes, carrots, with some sliced chicken on top--or sliced steak if you like beef.

Ditch the rice/potatoes/starches and stick with beans, greens and lean meats/poultry/fish (or tofu, etc. if you're a vegetarian).

High fat dairy such as cheese is best avoided.

White carbs are a no-no--including sugar...

And beer is a liquid carb--just saying.

Drink water or fresh-squeezed juice instead of sodas...

Old 02-28-2022, 07:20 PM

29,765 posts, read 34,469,808 times
Quote:
Are you truly hungry, or are you bored/tired/the clock says it's time to eat? Track what you're eating. Your body needs food, and seeing what you're eating and how much (and being honest about that) can help you figure out what you should be eating to fuel your day. And if you think you feel hungry, drink a glass of water and wait a few minutes to see how you feel. A lot of times when you think you're hungry you're actually dehydrated.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 02-28-2022 at 07:43 PM..

Old 02-28-2022, 10:34 PM

7,204 posts, read 4,601,558 times
To lose weight I quit drinking anything with calories except for 2 cups of coffee. Then I counted calories and only ate 1600/day.

Old 03-01-2022, 08:14 AM

10,918 posts, read 7,440,288 times
Quote:
Is it hunger or appetite? Is your stomach rumbling because you're not getting enough to eat, or are you feeling deprived and want to eat more to fill the endless yawning void of dissatisfaction with your life? Okay, I'm describing my own issues.

Generally, cut back on carbs in general, and cut out sugar and refined grains completely (i.e., you can have a slice of 100% whole grain bread once in a while). Leafy green veggies (spinach, broccoli) are mostly carbs, but they're complex carbs, and have lots of other nutrients, so they're fine.

Carbs, especially refined ones, give you a fleeting sense of satiety, then your blood sugar crashes and you feel hungry again.

Try eating a little more protein and fat; they don't raise your blood sugar, so you don't get that crash later. If you do eat carbs, have a little fat with them, like some olive oil on your asparagus.

You may feel carb cravings for a few weeks, but stick with it, and your body will get used to putting in the effort to burn fat instead of relying on the easy carbs, and the cravings will go away.
Really! I have a box of See's Candy in my fridge; it's been there since Christmas, and I feel no interest in opening it.

Old 03-01-2022, 12:31 PM

3,125 posts, read 2,080,623 times
Quote:

I am open to suggestions
Always hungry. I am like that if I don't get enough lean protein, fiber and good fats. Your diet probably needs better balancing.

If you are consuming refined carbs, replace them with the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss