Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 06:32 AM

10,998 posts, read 7,540,694 times

Advertisements

I've been doing 18/6 intermittent fasting and eating low carb for about six weeks. I've been about 90% compliant; I've lost nearly 4 lbs. woohoo.

In the past, just cutting carbs gave me better weight loss. I'm quite frustrated.

It doesn't help that my husband is also doing IF, but eats carbs all the freaking time, then boasts about his weight loss.

I eat mostly whole foods; green veggies (broccoli, spinach, salad), eggs, cheese, chicken, fish, some red meat. I occasionally have a slice of bread or a tortilla with a meal.
I don't eat fast food, very little processed foods, and check labels first.

I'm past the carb-craving point, and my blood glucose has gone down, so something is working right.

Any suggestions about what could increase weight loss?

And if you're still reading...for the last week, I've been waking up waaaay too early, like 5 or 6 am (I go to bed at 11 or midnight); dawn is breaking as I type. And I'm dizzy sometimes, especially when I first get out of bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2022, 09:01 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,098,997 times
1. Keep a food/drink journal and be brutally honest about everything you consume. Most people overestimate the good and underestimate the bad. It's human nature.

2. Dizziness? Monitor your blood sugar and blood pressure to see if either is dropping too low.

3. Tweak your diet as necessary. Don't keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

4. Focus more on your nutritional health and balanced diet, not obsessing over how many pounds lost. Losing weight is a side effect of a nutritionally-balanced diet.

5. Develop an eating pattern that you can maintain for the rest of your life.

6. Don't compare your progress with your husband's progress.

That's all I can think of right now.

Good luck!

Old 03-01-2022, 09:20 AM

310 posts, read 328,061 times
IF wont do anything if you are consuming too many calories when you eat.
As Simply said, a food journal is key.

How old are you and are you on any medications? These two factors play into how much weight we are able to lose.
A little less than a pound a week is not terrible. The scale is moving in the right direction.

Old 03-01-2022, 05:21 PM

9,205 posts, read 6,378,476 times
Make sure you stay hydrated. People overestimate how much water they drink and underestimate the effects of dehydration. Dizziness is a symptom of dehydration.

Old 03-02-2022, 09:15 AM

10,998 posts, read 7,540,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Make sure you stay hydrated. People overestimate how much water they drink and underestimate the effects of dehydration. Dizziness is a symptom of dehydration.
ding ding ding! I've been getting leg cramps and dry eye, too. If I weren't so loopy from lack of sleep, I might have put that together. Drank lots of water last night, more every time I got up to pee (three times-maybe now I'm overdoing the water); no dizzyness, cramps, or dry eye. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
1. Keep a food/drink journal and be brutally honest about everything you consume. Most people overestimate the good and underestimate the bad. It's human nature.
NOOOO! I want a magic bullet that will solve all my problems!
yeah, I'm probably overdoing the fats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post
IF wont do anything if you are consuming too many calories when you eat.
As Simply said, a food journal is key.

How old are you and are you on any medications? These two factors play into how much weight we are able to lose.
A little less than a pound a week is not terrible. The scale is moving in the right direction.
but I was on the same meds and nearly the same age a year ago, when low carb melted off pounds. And that 4 pounds came off the first few weeks, it's just been up and down since then.

I'll cut back on fats and see how that goes.

Old 03-02-2022, 09:39 AM

310 posts, read 328,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
ding ding ding! I've been getting leg cramps and dry eye, too. If I weren't so loopy from lack of sleep, I might have put that together. Drank lots of water last night, more every time I got up to pee (three times-maybe now I'm overdoing the water); no dizzyness, cramps, or dry eye. Thanks!

NOOOO! I want a magic bullet that will solve all my problems!
yeah, I'm probably overdoing the fats.

but I was on the same meds and nearly the same age a year ago, when low carb melted off pounds. And that 4 pounds came off the first few weeks, it's just been up and down since then.

I'll cut back on fats and see how that goes.
More than likely it was mostly water that you lost. I don't think I read your age, but as we get older our bodies are not as efficient as they were when we were younger. And as we age the weight comes off exponentially slower. Its very frustrating! The most important thing you can do is consume less calories and eat foods that keep you satiated. Amp up whatever exercise you are doing now.
Keeping an honest food journal helps too.

Old 03-03-2022, 07:49 AM

30,893 posts, read 19,519,412 times
Quote:
I've been doing 18/6 intermittent fasting and eating low carb for about six weeks. I've been about 90% compliant; I've lost nearly 4 lbs. woohoo.

In the past, just cutting carbs gave me better weight loss. I'm quite frustrated.

It doesn't help that my husband is also doing IF, but eats carbs all the freaking time, then boasts about his weight loss.

I eat mostly whole foods; green veggies (broccoli, spinach, salad), eggs, cheese, chicken, fish, some red meat. I occasionally have a slice of bread or a tortilla with a meal.

I'm past the carb-craving point, and my blood glucose has gone down, so something is working right.

And if you're still reading...for the last week, I've been waking up waaaay too early, like 5 or 6 am (I go to bed at 11 or midnight); dawn is breaking as I type. And I'm dizzy sometimes, especially when I first get out of bed.
I would expect better results given what you've stated. You're getting blood glucose down but is it down to where it should be or just better? I would suggest reducing meat and adding good fats like extra virgin olive oil and MCT oil.

If you're still having issue with your blood sugar, you may want to try Metformin which would require a prescription or Berberine which is an herb that doesn't require a prescription.

Old 03-03-2022, 09:04 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,098,997 times
Excellent point about keeping hydrated. Fasting depletes electrolytes (leading to cramps, dehydration insomnia, dizziness and other issues), and water alone doesn't replace all electrolytes. On the other hand, drinking too much plain water can deplete electrolytes.

I don't fast except when I'm asleep and it's important to get fluids soon after one wakes. I include homemade soups with my meals several times a week. It's an easy way to get a nutrient powerhouse dish, is low calorie, replaces electrolytes and helps keep me hydrated. It also reduces frequent bathroom trips that drinking plain water alone can cause. During the summer when soups/broths are not as appealing, I make electrolyte drinks. One does get some fluids from solid foods but just that and drinking plain water throughout the day are no longer enough for me. Looking back, it probably never was enough to keep electrolytes balanced.

Last edited by SimplySagacious; 03-03-2022 at 09:19 AM..

Old 03-03-2022, 09:29 AM

75 posts, read 66,693 times
Quote:

Congratulations on the 4lb weight-loss and the lowering of blood glucose so far!

I’ve found it’s so important to notice all the changes we can. Because sometimes we are making more progress than we think but we can miss it if we are only using one “measuring stick” (such as the scale).

In regards to nutrition, some people find that cheese/ dairy holds them back. That could be a something to experiment with.

Another option to increase weight-loss would be to incorporate a day or two each week of strength training and cardio (depending on what you do for exercise currently).

Old 03-03-2022, 10:54 AM

3,256 posts, read 1,085,611 times
You can use visualization techniques. There are a few techniques available for free online.

One is "The Gabriel Method". Go on youtube, find "The Gabriel Method" channel. And there, look for "Visualization technique for weight loss" or something like that. The technique is explained in a short vlog, about 10 minutes.

I'm into yoga and meditation and use positive affirmations and visualizations a lot. They work! Just try it. It only takes a few minutes a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss