Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 04:03 PM

1,098 posts, read 902,825 times

Advertisements

Whenever my weight loss stalls, I make sure to stop eating after 6:30 pm. I’m starting to think there are a ton of benefits for going to bed without a full stomach. I wake up feeling stronger and leaner whenever I stick to that rule

I even gave up my dumb ideas about the anabolic window. I have been lifting in the evenings and not worrying about getting calories in till the morning. Oddly enough I feel stronger when I do that. Maybe that helps produce an HGH spike overnight and then when you eat a bunch of carbs in the morning, your muscles soak it right up. (Intense bro-science there)

Last edited by Jame22; 04-08-2022 at 04:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2022, 09:19 AM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Every body is different, and some will do better on one plan than another.
If you hear something works, try it. If it works for you, keep doing it.

Nutrition is definitely NOT just calories in/calories out.

Old 08-07-2022, 09:08 PM

3,438 posts, read 2,409,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Every body is different, and some will do better on one plan than another.
If you hear something works, try it. If it works for you, keep doing it.

Nutrition is definitely NOT just calories in/calories out.
It definitely isn't "just" calories in/out, no argument there at all.

But "eating" is not what makes you gain weight. "Eating too much" is what makes you gain weight. It's conditional.

A condition: eating more than 3 hot fudge sundaes a week is probably "too much." If you have one per month and you're otherwise healthy, with no dairy allergies, it's probably not "too much."

If you struggle with your weight, then eating 3 steaks with your morning plate of eggs, a full loaf of garlic bread with a bowl of pasta and sauce and a salad drenched in ranch dressing for lunch, and half a roast chicken with a salad-bowl of mashed potatoes with gravy, sweet potato casserole, and two slices of apple pie with vanilla ice cream for dinner, is probably - too much.

On the other hand, 2 ounces of steak with one egg in the morning, with a peeled segmented tangerine, and then a side salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, a slice of garlic bread with a couple of meatballs on a dessert-plate sized serving of pasta and sauce... and a single chicken breast with an ice-cream scooped size of mashed potatoes with gravy, some asparagus with lemon butter, no casserole, and a small slice of pie with no ice cream is probably FINE for someone who's active and not needing to lose weight.

Old 08-08-2022, 07:00 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,736,569 times
One thing that helped me break the habit of eating too late was learning about autophagy. If you eat too late, too close to bedtime, your body is stuck in digestion mode and never gets to autophagy.

Old 08-08-2022, 01:26 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
It definitely isn't "just" calories in/out, no argument there at all.

But "eating" is not what makes you gain weight. "Eating too much" is what makes you gain weight. It's conditional.

A condition: eating more than 3 hot fudge sundaes a week is probably "too much." If you have one per month and you're otherwise healthy, with no dairy allergies, it's probably not "too much."

If you struggle with your weight, then eating 3 steaks with your morning plate of eggs, a full loaf of garlic bread with a bowl of pasta and sauce and a salad drenched in ranch dressing for lunch, and half a roast chicken with a salad-bowl of mashed potatoes with gravy, sweet potato casserole, and two slices of apple pie with vanilla ice cream for dinner, is probably - too much.

On the other hand, 2 ounces of steak with one egg in the morning, with a peeled segmented tangerine, and then a side salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, a slice of garlic bread with a couple of meatballs on a dessert-plate sized serving of pasta and sauce... and a single chicken breast with an ice-cream scooped size of mashed potatoes with gravy, some asparagus with lemon butter, no casserole, and a small slice of pie with no ice cream is probably FINE for someone who's active and not needing to lose weight.
Oddly specific.

Old 08-25-2022, 05:25 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,400,814 times
Yes its very common for Europeans to eat dinner at 10-11PM. After realizing that I no longer believed when we ate had an impact. Its what we eat

Old 11-01-2022, 11:18 AM

846 posts, read 682,980 times
Nightime eating only makes you gain weight if it causes you to be in a calorie surplus.

The people who tend to eat late at night tend to eat extra meals. They might have dessert after their dinner, and snacks after dessert.

But that's sort of an unfair comparison. Of course, ceteris parabis, someone eating 2500 calories during the day and an extra 500 at night is going to weigh more than someone eating 2500 calories in the day and 0 at night. That's a 500 calorie difference.

A fair comparison would be a person who eats more calories at night but less in the daytime, yet the same amount of calories total.

People they may find that having a hard rule to not eat after X hour helps them avoid overeating. But we shouldn't spread the myth that eating at night makes you fat.

Old 11-19-2022, 06:07 AM

5,194 posts, read 1,872,370 times
For me it's eating excess calories that made me gain weight.

Old 01-03-2023, 06:47 PM

137 posts, read 199,693 times
Night time eating does make you gain weight. Here's why... you eat at night and go to sleep shortly thereafter. The food will sit on your stomach and digestion takes MUCH longer. This is why intermittent fasting is so successful. Start skipping dinner or only have a light soup or salad before 6pm and you will see and feel the difference.

Old 01-04-2023, 03:35 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,170,654 times
I'm a firm believer in Intermittent Fasting (IF) based on my own experience. I ate myself into diabetes, big gut, and just about every bad health marker I had. I changed my diet 6 years ago based on the recommendations in The Plant Paradox which included IF, and I lost all my excess weight of about 50 lbs. and have kept it off and all of my blood markers have gone from bad to good.

Now when I go off diet as I did recently during the Holidays, I just combine keto and IF for a few days and lose all the excess weight in 5-8 days.

So I now never eat after about 4 pm. I think the key is to not eat for at least a 12-hour window each day to allow your digestive system to digest and process the food you've eaten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss