Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 02:13 PM

75 posts, read 65,848 times

Advertisements

This article goes deeper into some lesser talked about side effects of nighttime snacking.

It shows a few (small) studies that are starting to see a connection with decreased glucose tolerance, raising cholesterol and a few other things.

Does Nighttime Eating Make You Gain Weight?
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/2/...ealth-wellness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 07:19 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
I don't think it matters when you eat, I believe it's more about consuming less than 2,000 calories per day (for the average person). Also, stay away from junk carbs, especially sugar. And of course, get to the gym or stay active.

Keto diet is a good way to get a jump start, but in the end you have to simply watch those calories.

Edit - the thing about keto or just staying away from junk carbs is that you lose that insatiable desire to keep eating. I did keto and dropped 10 pounds the first 2 weeks. Lost another 10 pounds in a month just watching calories. My diet may sound extreme, but once you eliminate the sugar you will lose the hunger pangs. Here's what I ate today.

Water throughout day
2 well buttered slices of rye toast
3 cups of coffee w/cream and Stevia sweetener
2 hard boiled eggs
Small salad with vinaigrette dressing
Chicken breast with side of mixed vegies
A few beers
Will probably end the night with a light snack, some fish oil and a multi-vitamin.

May sound nuts (great snack btw!) but I'm not very hungry.

Last edited by flamadiddle; 03-24-2022 at 08:23 PM..

Old 03-24-2022, 07:20 PM

310 posts, read 323,617 times
And yet most of Europe do not eat dinner until late in the evening, usually around 10:00.

Old 03-24-2022, 07:46 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel37 View Post
This article goes deeper into some lesser talked about side effects of nighttime snacking.

It shows a few (small) studies that are starting to see a connection with decreased glucose tolerance, raising cholesterol and a few other things.

As a person who has had to watch her weight since the age of 10 (I'm in my late 60's now), I can state that absolutely....yes. For me. Although I come from a mainly obese family, I've been normal weight most of my life (I got chunky during puberty, but lost it). I weigh the same or less than I did decades ago and am very healthy, having the same or better blood work that I did when I was 30. One thing I do that is a habit is that I rarely eat between 7 p.m. and mid-morning to noon the next day. Even when I do eat past 7, I don't eat much. My main meal is lunch. I don't see much point in eating at night, since I don't need food for energy and I'll be going to bed in a few hours. And I don't have an appetite in the morning time. For those times that I did eat a full meal at night (going out to dinner, a company dinner event, etc.), I did gain weight the next couple of days, even though the amount and kind of food I ate was not excessive. Maybe it's because the metabolism slows down at night. I don't know. All I know is for me, eating at night puts the weight on and not eating at night keeps weight down.

Old 03-25-2022, 11:44 AM

1,098 posts, read 902,433 times
My understanding is that there is some evidence that if you front load your calories (even when they are the same), they are used more efficiently and weight management is easier.

Personal experience - I do feel better and more energetic if I get a sizable breakfast in. I feel like I sleep better when my stomach isn’t full.

Old 03-25-2022, 01:50 PM

316 posts, read 304,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
I feel like I sleep better when my stomach isn’t full.
This is my experience, too.

I also find if I don't sleep well, I'll have more cravings for sugary carbs/junk food the next day, so it becomes a vicious cycle.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:38 AM

761 posts, read 447,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel37 View Post

Nighttime smacking is very bad for you in many ways. One important one is that food in your stomach takes a long time to digest during sleep. And nighttime sleep is supposed to be devoted to making repairs and cleaning the brain of toxins. It has been said that your body can only do one or the other, not both.

And as far as trying to lose weight, the same thing applies: Your body can not be in weight loss mode while eating or digesting food at the same time.

There's a time to eat and a time to sleep. Snacking at night is a terrible habit that I had for a while too. But I found that it was just a habit - not needed as I thought.

Now I finish eating my evening meal at about 6 pm (and with no snacks at all) I don't start my breakfast 'til' about 8 am and I don't feel the need to snack. Snacking was just a bad habit.

Old 03-28-2022, 03:13 PM

75 posts, read 65,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
Nighttime smacking is very bad for you in many ways. One important one is that food in your stomach takes a long time to digest during sleep. And nighttime sleep is supposed to be devoted to making repairs and cleaning the brain of toxins. It has been said that your body can only do one or the other, not both.
Yeah - that's a great point. The glymphatic system can't do it's job if you are digesting during sleep. That's a fascinating topic in itself.

Old 03-28-2022, 06:20 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post
And yet most of Europe do not eat dinner until late in the evening, usually around 10:00.
I've been seeing closer to 8PM for most countries. And they also tend to go to bed later, on average, than Americans from what I gather so it all seems to even out.

Old 04-04-2022, 02:55 PM

13,258 posts, read 7,312,118 times
If your snacking at night after dinner then likely gain weight one of the issues I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss