Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 08:41 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,193,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Same here. IF/OMAD has worked the best for me as far as weight loss and retaining it as well as additional health benefits.

IF/OMAD definitely isn't for everyone. But it has stopped me from snacking, which was the thing that was killing me.

For me, being passive (not eating or eating less, etc) is easier to maintain long term than active (exercise, etc.).

I still exercise once in a while but find myself falling off the wagon a bit. But with IF/OMAD, it's a sustainable lifestyle change.
I agree about the exercise. It's not enjoyable to go to the gym on a consistent basis. I don't enjoy the bike, but hiking or treadmill is out because of a bad knee. I really miss both - treadmill was always my favorite. I need an aerobic exercise that is easy on the knees & hips, the bike is really the best option for that.

So, going to the gym is hit and miss for me. Mostly miss, if I'm honest. But that's the beauty of OMD (or 2 low carb meals) and IF - that's enough to lose weight and get your body working better, even without much exercise. But to firm up, exercise is an unavoidable requirement. I do the bike and some other machines at the gym and can notice the difference immediately; it's about a 45-minute session (30 bike, 15 machines). So the combo of exercise, plus low carb and intermittent fasting is a very effective method to stay healthy.

No one says it's easy, but having tried almost everything, I find this method works for me over the long haul. It took a lot of effort to learn how to do it, but the info is out there if you look for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2022, 01:35 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
A study is not a person..

I am sure there are scads of people who benefit greatly from having a
large amount of time between last and first meals.

Old 05-30-2022, 11:31 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,890 times
I tried a 20/4 fast for 3 weeks. I pigged out for 4 hours a day. I lost 10 pounds. On the 4th week, I gained 2 pounds. The difference between the first 3 and the 4th week is that I couldn't get my butt on the treadmill. I have about 40 pounds to lose, so I'll jump back on the treadmill tomorrow. Bad knees doesn't help the situation.

Old 05-31-2022, 08:08 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
I tried a 20/4 fast for 3 weeks. I pigged out for 4 hours a day. I lost 10 pounds. On the 4th week, I gained 2 pounds. The difference between the first 3 and the 4th week is that I couldn't get my butt on the treadmill. I have about 40 pounds to lose, so I'll jump back on the treadmill tomorrow. Bad knees doesn't help the situation.
This is where the problem is, not the treadmill.

20/4 doesn't mean you pig out for four hours. Means you split up your meals (lunch/dinner) within that 4 hour timeframe. So you should be still consuming the same or a bit less calories.

It still matters what you eat.

Old 05-31-2022, 08:50 AM

5,109 posts, read 2,668,728 times
Doesn't speak to other benefits of IF. Ie: anti-inflammation, cell repair, insulin response improvement etc.

Old 05-31-2022, 11:21 AM

75 posts, read 65,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Doesn't speak to other benefits of IF. Ie: anti-inflammation, cell repair, insulin response improvement etc.
Exactly. There are many reasons to do IF beyond weight-loss.

Old 05-31-2022, 11:22 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel37 View Post
Exactly. There are many reasons to do IF beyond weight-loss.
Yep, you get healthy to lose weight. Not lose weight to get healthy. Although they mostly go hand in hand.

Old 05-31-2022, 10:17 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
This is where the problem is, not the treadmill.

20/4 doesn't mean you pig out for four hours. Means you split up your meals (lunch/dinner) within that 4 hour timeframe. So you should be still consuming the same or a bit less calories.

It still matters what you eat.

Thank you! It makes total sense. I'm definitely going to tweak it a bit and eat healthier during those hours.

Old 06-02-2022, 12:58 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
Thank you! It makes total sense. I'm definitely going to tweak it a bit and eat healthier during those hours.
Ideally, you eat during two 1-hour windows, separated by a 2-hour (or whatever the balance of your cycle is) fast. That lets blood sugar rise and fall; if you eat non-stop, BS will be high for the whole non-fasting time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss