Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 06:30 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,341,016 times

Advertisements

Looks like some new drugs, tirzepatide and semaglutide, might help with weight loss.

Diabetes drug helps patients lose never-before-seen amounts of weight, study shows

Quote:
The drug, called tirzepatide, works on two naturally occurring hormones that help control blood sugar and are involved in sending fullness signals from the gut to the brain.

Researchers noticed that people who took the drug for their diabetes lost weight. The new trial focused on people who have obesity without diabetes and found even more weight loss.

Those taking the highest of three studied doses lost as much as 21% of their body weight – 50-60 pounds in some cases.

Nothing has provided that kind of weight loss except surgery, said Dr. Robert Gabbay, chief scientific and medical officer for the American Diabetes Association.
Quote:
Another obesity treatment approved last year called semaglutide, from Novo Nordisk, provides an average of up to about 15% weight loss. Previous generations of diet drugs cut only about 5% of weight and many carried prohibitive side effects.

"We've not had tools like this," Gabbay said. "I think it's really exciting."

For most of the trial participants, side effects from tirzepatide were not serious, said Jeff Emmick, vice president of product development for the diabetes division of drug giant Lilly, which makes the drug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 06:52 AM

17,401 posts, read 16,547,378 times
Well, that is some great news for people who are predisposed to developing type 2. The question is, did the participants who lost the weight also reverse their type 2 diabetes and will their metabolisms adapt to the drugs over time resulting in them regaining at least some of the weight that they lost. The "thrifty gene" is a stubborn one.

Old 06-06-2022, 07:33 AM

3,126 posts, read 1,017,583 times
They "treat" it with another drug. What a surprise.

Why not use nutrition instead? Well...I know why. There is no money to be made.

Old 06-06-2022, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post
They "treat" it with another drug. What a surprise.

Why not use nutrition instead? Well...I know why. There is no money to be made.
While I agree, I'm sure plenty of people would pay $1,000 a month for a drug, if it would allow them to stay thin without having to work out or watch their nutrition intake!

Old 06-11-2022, 06:36 AM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
Yeah, and what, you are going to take it forever???

At some point, you should rely on structure, discipline and a healthy, calorie-appropriate diet.

Old 06-11-2022, 07:21 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,576,900 times
For me it’s not the volume of food but the types. I don’t overeat so the effect of feeling fuller isn’t a help at all.

Old 06-12-2022, 07:23 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,405,369 times
From the study:

The efficacy and safety of tirzepatide, a novel glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide and glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonist, in people with obesity are not known.

As we've seen with the clot shots and the dozens of drugs that have been recalled or given a black-box warning over the past several years, the bit about unknown safety is a serious concern.

Old 06-13-2022, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
From the study:

The efficacy and safety of tirzepatide, a novel glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide and glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonist, in people with obesity are not known.

As we've seen with the clot shots and the dozens of drugs that have been recalled or given a black-box warning over the past several years, the bit about unknown safety is a serious concern.
Very true, I'm sure most of us are old enough to remember Fen-Phen (Fenfluramine/phentermine).

Old 06-19-2022, 02:34 AM

7,265 posts, read 5,147,374 times
The newer diabetes drugs work by affecting the incretins that we naturally secrete. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incretin

One of the roles of these drugs is to signal the satiety center in the brain that "We're full- Don't eat any more."...Diabetics seem to have an altered incretin secretion response.

These drugs have been around for more tha 10 yrs and from the beginning it's been known that they help with weight loss in diabetics....The question becomes whether or not they also cause weight loss/appetite control in non-diabetics, and is the benefit worth the side effect profile and cost?

Old 06-21-2022, 06:30 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The newer diabetes drugs work by affecting the incretins that we naturally secrete. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incretin

One of the roles of these drugs is to signal the satiety center in the brain that "We're full- Don't eat any more."...Diabetics seem to have an altered incretin secretion response.

These drugs have been around for more tha 10 yrs and from the beginning it's been known that they help with weight loss in diabetics....The question becomes whether or not they also cause weight loss/appetite control in non-diabetics, and is the benefit worth the side effect profile and cost?
That’s what the new study look at:
Quote:
Researchers noticed that people who took the drug for their diabetes lost weight. The new trial focused on people who have obesity without diabetes and found even more weight loss.
I think the real question now is the second part of what you asked, whether the benefits outweigh the costs in terms of both side effects and costs. These drugs impact the endocrinological system and I know for at least the semaglutide cancer is one of the potential risks. I imagine the tirzepatide also has some of its own serious risks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss