Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 10:32 AM

26 posts, read 24,395 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm 56- just had a total knee replacement in Feb. I also quit smoking last month. I do not use any quitting aid. They do not work for me.
I have a life coach. I also am looking for a nutritionist.
I practice low carbs and enjoy it. My pantry is filled with everything needed to achieve a good low carb lifestyle (I have great success with low carbs )
Anyway... I got away from low carbs after my surgery. Tough to ask people to make keto meals when they are helping you.
Now that I'm healthy, Feeling motivated quitting smoking, Starting with a life coach, and serious about moving forward -I really really want to start my walking.
I WAS doing 6 miles in an hour at one point.
I have really gotten lazy and older.
I want to be successful. I am having one hell of a time gettin started after work.
I have zero energy. I literally can't start this!
I need to resume healthy eating WITH exercise now that I physically can.
I tried in the morning, however I start work at 630am. Getting up at 430 am to get an hour in... Isn't possible.
I can't fool myself here. I'm trying not to make excuses. I just don't want to fail.
If I submit and just push through it will it get easier?
If it doesn't, I will not start. I am clean 22 years off heroin. I have also lost weight in the past. So I know what's required to achieve. I'm just struggling with this FINAL piece of the puzzle. I've never been truly dedicated to working out in my life. I want to be! I just do not know how to get there! I'm stuck! I've always been stuck with this one major IMPORTANT thing. I hate working out! I'm being honest. I don't want to lie. However I don't want to hate it. I want to do it. I want to enjoy it. I just have no idea how. Others do! What's wrong with me?
Thanks for any advice.
(As a side note I can't work out during the day. It doesn't fit into my work schedule)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2022, 06:44 PM

708 posts, read 577,804 times
Nothing is wrong with you, it's a struggle to fit all that in after/before work, making meals, after a major surgery, getting older etc. There are just so many hours in a day. I feel like I got very lazy the last few years of covid. It gave me pass to just let myself go. It's bad enough that we judge ourselves and then feel worse because sometimes things are just hard. I retired in May and decided things had to change. Start small, if it's one loop around the block, so be it. Just do it everyday. It's easier to do it with a friend or neighbor. Last month I started a senior aerobics class and do my walk early morning now. Mix things up, get a weighted hula hoop and swing those hips to music. I was surprised how fun that it is, and I'm moving. Just make it small and achievable. It's difficult when we still work, I will admit that, especially if you have an on your feet job. It really does sound like you're on the right track with a life coach, looking for a nutritionist. You're on the right track. Congrats on quitting smoking, it was the best thing I ever did for myself.

Old 08-03-2022, 10:06 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
If you hate working out, you're never going to be able to stick to a schedule that feels like punishment. Find things that you can do at home, where maybe you put in 15 or 20minutes a couple times a day where you can get some movement in, saving a longer workout for the weekend. You're a human being with a life, it's not making excuses to be kind to yourself and to do what's best for you.

Old 08-03-2022, 10:17 AM

1,136 posts, read 614,378 times
Lol, almost nobody LIKES working out. But we all like how we FEEL physically and mentally afterwards.

I workout 4 days of the week. 3 days are rest days.

The keys to succeeding:

- you need to workout regularly and make it routine - like brushing your teeth. Don't make a big deal about it... just do it.
- like anything new, it takes time for it to become regular. Be patient. For me it took 2 solid yrs to make workouts normalized.
- nutrition - eat something beforehand to fuel up - bananas, peanut butter, etc. And make sure you drink water during.
- agree w/ fleetiebelle, try to workout @ home: saves a ton of time, money and stress.
- try your best to think positive thoughts during your workouts and stay in the present - ie: don't think about work later, etc.

Remember, at the end of the day all the effort benefits you. Nobody can tell you to workout or not.

Do it for you, not to look good for somebody.

Trust me, after a few months it becomes routine. And yes some days you much rather do something else, but you just get on with it and do the workout - and afterwards you feel so amazing that you did the right thing.

Old 08-03-2022, 10:34 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Lol, almost nobody LIKES working out. But we all like how we FEEL physically and mentally afterwards.
I've been reading some things lately that fitness professionals on social media (and in the wild) actually mess people up, because they *do* enjoy working out. They may have always been athletic, they've devoted their lives to fitness, and if they work out of a gym, they don't have to to struggle to make the time. These people have a difficult time understanding and guiding the civilians who come to them for advice. So you do have to take some of that "Push yourself to the limit! No excuses!" mindset with a grain of salt.

Old 08-03-2022, 11:25 AM

7,256 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Start by stop beating yourself up...."The Common Wisdom" is that exercise is essential, but that's far from true...Some exercise is good for your heart and good for your general mobility, and the endorphin boost can make you feel better, but it doesn't take very much working out at all to acheive that-- 15-20 minutes a day would do it.

An hour's worth of HARD exercise only burns ~600 cal, and there's 4000+ cal in a lb of fat-- and you don't really start to burn that fat until you've used up the 2000+ cal you've got stored in your liver & muscles. Exercise is essentially useless as a weight loss method....but it is good to prevent the additional accumulation of new fat when you eat more than your basic energy needs of routine living. Eg- if you need 1200 cal/d for the routine, then exercising away an additional 500 cal means you could eat 1700 cal/d and not gain any fat.

Re: Energy Level-- biorhythm is a key consideration. You must get up at 4 AM each day, but maybe your natural biorhythm says you should get up at 9AM-- of course you'll feel pooped because your hormones are on a different schedule than you work..... Our biorhytms are indiviual, and vary wirh our age.--Eg-- teenagers typically want to get up at noon and stay up 'til 4AM, while old folks want to sleep from 6PM to 4 AM. That's why there's the Early Bird Speciial at 4:30 at La Boca Vista where Seinfeld's parents live.

"Always listen to your body, Jerry." --Cosmo Kramer

Old 08-03-2022, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 827 times
Hi Michelle,

I see you're on the right track. Have you considered taking proper probiotics yet? The right selection of probiotics will enhance your fat loss process since your body will improve the ability to absorb nutrients and it will boost your metabolism as well. Here's a great suggestion for you => https://www.myfitnessrealm.com/leanbiome/

I hope this can help you!

Old 08-03-2022, 11:46 AM

26 posts, read 24,395 times
Thank you so much for all replies!
I did it, about killed me, but I did it! Went home after work, got workout clothes on and power walked!
Pittsburgh it was brutally hot yesterday at 330 pm but I knew I needed to just shut up and start.

I did 2.67 miles in 50 minutes.
I'm paying for it today. In so much pain I can not breath, but I felt wonderful and I ate healthy afterwards. Good good day!

My coach was very concerned about the uneven pavement with my quads and new knee not being stronger. I never considered that's really the hardest part. I can NOT fall on this new knee. Almost fell two seperate times yesterday.
So, I joined the gym today. I brought my workout clothes with me.
It's best until I get stronger to be safe.
Power walking on the treadmill in cooler temps for a month is where she believes I should start.
Coming out I'll be closer to lower temps as well. I'm just not strong enough or fit enough to overcome broken up sidewalks and uneven ground.
Falling and injury would mentally do me in now.

So after work I'm heading to planet fitness to do a power walk. Then hydrotherapy afterwards.

Thank you again! I was being a big baby. The hardest day is the first day. However I'm very happy I started again.

I'll update

Old 08-03-2022, 01:46 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,407,005 times
1) Always stretch before going for power walks.
2) Make sure you're well hydrated.
3) PLAN on starting small and working your way up. Your very first power walk post-surgery on an insanely hot afternoon at over 2.5 miles was not a wise decision. Start with half a mile. Do half a mile every time you go out, for a week. Then the next week try a full mile. OR - try half a mile with a brisk (but not power-) walk, and then speed up to a power walk for the second half.

No matter which workout you choose, remember #1 and #2, always. Stretch first. Be well-hydrated.

Old 08-03-2022, 08:10 PM

10,891 posts, read 7,386,537 times
Could you do an exercise bike instead? I have a recumbent type, my doctor said it was easy on knees.

You might get hiking sticks if you're going to walk, they can prevent a lot of falls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss