Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 05:24 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,413,737 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to be more conscious of what I buy after this lawsuit

"A California man, who claims Skittles candy contains a "known toxin" that makes it "unfit for human consumption,"

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/22/11129...tanium-dioxide

I feel like there are a lot of dangerous additives in the processed and ultra processed foods we buy these days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2022, 07:16 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,078,861 times
None of the ultra-processed foods are fit for consumption. They are food-like products, not real nutritious foods. The list of potentially harmful additives and why is too long for a post.

These "foods" are very poor nutritionally speaking so aren't doing you any good and may be harming you. The processing strips them of nutrients and fiber. The simplest solution is to only, or primarily, use whole fresh foods and minimally-processed whole foods.

If the label lists any ingredients that you won't find in a basic home kitchen, think twice before buying. Shop mainly the outer perimeter of the store where the fresh whole foods are kept. Most of the processed junk is in the middle aisles.

Old 08-26-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
None of the ultra-processed foods are fit for consumption. They are food-like products, not real nutritious foods. The list of potentially harmful additives and why is too long for a post.

These "foods" are very poor nutritionally speaking so aren't doing you any good and may be harming you. The processing strips them of nutrients and fiber. The simplest solution is to only, or primarily, use whole fresh foods and minimally-processed whole foods.

If the label lists any ingredients that you won't find in a basic home kitchen, think twice before buying. Shop mainly the outer perimeter of the store where the fresh whole foods are kept. Most of the processed junk is in the middle aisles.
Yup!! Hoping the word gets spread more about these foods. The fact that they taste good and are additive in a way doesn't help. But they are very detrimental to our overall health.

This is a good tip!! "Shop mainly the outer perimeter of the store where the fresh whole foods are kept. Most of the processed junk is in the middle aisles."

Old 08-26-2022, 09:02 AM

9,209 posts, read 6,254,342 times
But they taste so good I'm not giving them up.

Old 08-26-2022, 09:23 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,078,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
Yup!! Hoping the word gets spread more about these foods. The fact that they taste good and are additive in a way doesn't help. But they are very detrimental to our overall health.
Ultra-processed foods taste awful to me, especially the artificial flavors, and of course the high salt and sugar. Yuck. My palate is adjusted to natural foods, natural flavors...and they are highly flavorful, delicious and enjoyable.

Old 08-26-2022, 11:35 AM

3,138 posts, read 1,029,991 times
Quote:
Ultra-processed foods taste awful to me, especially the artificial flavors, and of course the high salt and sugar. Yuck. My palate is adjusted to natural foods, natural flavors...and they are highly flavorful, delicious and enjoyable.
Same here.

Old 08-27-2022, 06:08 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,446,040 times
Quote:

The outer perimeter of my local grocery store has:

The candy aisle, then produce. Deli meats, baked goods and pastries. Then hotdogs, bacon, sausage, beef, chicken, pork, and "meat analogue" (fake meat burgers and "chik'n"). Then dairy and processed cheese and kids' cheese/deli snack things. Then more dairy and yogurts, eggs, pre-made tubes of biscuits and crescent rolls, beer, soda, wine, "from concentrate" refrigerated juices and ice teas, and whatever cake mixes are on sale that week in their own display section.

Old 08-27-2022, 06:31 PM

3,086 posts, read 1,556,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
I've been trying to be more conscious of what I buy after this lawsuit

"A California man, who claims Skittles candy contains a "known toxin" that makes it "unfit for human consumption,"

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/22/11129...tanium-dioxide

I feel like there are a lot of dangerous additives in the processed and ultra processed foods we buy these days
you do know that tit dioxide is one of the chief ingredients in sun screen and other products, right? so you are smearing it on your body if you use sunscreen. Its in many cosmetics too. Not uncommon. Just so you know.

Old 08-28-2022, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
you do know that tit dioxide is one of the chief ingredients in sun screen and other products, right? so you are smearing it on your body if you use sunscreen. Its in many cosmetics too. Not uncommon. Just so you know.
Oh I know about that stuff too, most make up has talc in it as well. They put these toxic things in everything. I have an app that I use to check stuff like that. Wanted to speak about food specifically here lol

Old 08-29-2022, 06:36 AM

3,460 posts, read 2,446,040 times
So then just don't eat powdered donuts when you go to Dunkin Donuts. Have the chocolate dipped instead. Because that surely will be better for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss