Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 08:53 AM

7,321 posts, read 5,205,946 times

Advertisements

A couple points--

I'm a big advocate of doing my own cooking from fresh meat and produce...A "processed food" is essentially one that has been cooked at a factory and stuffed in a bag, box or can. It probably has more salt and sugar in it than it needs because most people think that tastes good (There's a reason two of our four taste buds sense salty & sweet.)...

...and it probably has a certain amount of organic chemicals that increase the shelf life of the food, leading to less wastage-- That's a GOOD thing.

Some of those chemicals can be toxic in absurdly large quantities, but so can water and oxygen be toxic in excessive quantities.

OK OK I'll just concede the argument-- Food additives DO cause health problems...Now the question becomes "How much of a problem is it?"...Answer, Well, given that life expectancy keeps getting longer and longer with fewer premature deaths, it can't be all that great a problem...and it isn't. Any cancer rates found to be increasing can be explained by new tech allowing earlier diagnosis &/or more people living long enough to get cancer because they didn't die of a heart attack at age 50 like we used.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over his one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2022, 08:23 AM

761 posts, read 451,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
A couple points--

I'm a big advocate of doing my own cooking from fresh meat and produce...A "processed food" is essentially one that has been cooked at a factory and stuffed in a bag, box or can. It probably has more salt and sugar in it than it needs because most people think that tastes good (There's a reason two of our four taste buds sense salty & sweet.)...

...and it probably has a certain amount of organic chemicals that increase the shelf life of the food, leading to less wastage-- That's a GOOD thing.

Some of those chemicals can be toxic in absurdly large quantities, but so can water and oxygen be toxic in excessive quantities.

OK OK I'll just concede the argument-- Food additives DO cause health problems...Now the question becomes "How much of a problem is it?"...Answer, Well, given that life expectancy keeps getting longer and longer with fewer premature deaths, it can't be all that great a problem...and it isn't. Any cancer rates found to be increasing can be explained by new tech allowing earlier diagnosis &/or more people living long enough to get cancer because they didn't die of a heart attack at age 50 like we used.

Life expectancy was getting longer until the pandemic, then it got shorter by two years in 2020.

"Compared to 16 peer countries , the U.S. has an almost 5-year lower life expectancy."

"This comes after years of deteriorating health status in the U.S....."

My comment: We can thank all the junk-food addiction, weight issues, and weaker immune systems that result from poor lifestyle choices in general.

https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...uring-pandemic

Last edited by LongevitySeeker; 08-31-2022 at 08:34 AM..

Old 08-31-2022, 08:46 AM

3,030 posts, read 2,255,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
A couple points--

Guido and I disagree about EVERYTHING, but I'll back him up on this one (sorta). I doubt we can blame skittles specifically given that titanium dioxide is in TONS of foods and products. If not in skittles, it could in your medicine (tablets, capsules, etc.). Plus, it's natural! (naturally occurring mineral)

So, don't lose sleep over Skittles. Keep news in perspective, consider the big picture, and do what you think is best for your own health given your individual circumstances and concerns.

Old 08-31-2022, 07:27 PM

3,477 posts, read 2,466,364 times
Lesson learned: don't inject titanium dioxide into your veins, don't take any 500mg titanium dioxide tablets, and don't ingest 3 "share-sized" bags of skittles every day for two years.

But if you really like the yellow skittles, go ahead - have a handful every week, it's fine.

Old 08-31-2022, 07:53 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 4 days ago)

16,095 posts, read 21,222,224 times
Quote:
Just wanted to add that when we get rid of expired OTC meds at work, most of them get bagged up as TOXIC waste and ship out with other hazardous waste like... lithium batteries and household cleaners. All your pain relievers and cough and cold remedies are toxic, in large quantities, much the same way food additives are. Most of that stuff you would need to consume an awful lot of before you would notice any bad affects.

Old 09-03-2022, 08:32 AM

761 posts, read 451,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
I've been trying to be more conscious of what I buy after this lawsuit

"A California man, who claims Skittles candy contains a "known toxin" that makes it "unfit for human consumption,"

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/22/11129...tanium-dioxide

I feel like there are a lot of dangerous additives in the processed and ultra processed foods we buy these days
It's really very simple: You can reduce your worries quite a bit by eating natural whole foods. You know, fresh fruit, fresh or frozen vegetables and so on. Preferably organic.

"Processed and ultra processed foods" are not the healthiest foods in the first place. So it seems silly to worry about certain "questionable additives". When you're eating garbage, you're not supposed to question the additives....

Old 09-07-2022, 07:53 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,421,929 times
Yes which is why I have been trying to be more conscious of what I buy/eat

Old 09-13-2022, 07:10 AM

9,957 posts, read 4,713,015 times
Some say if it comes in a bag or box it's not great. The key with most foods is moderation. And the people that are most idle ie little or no workouts might be affected the most.

I've always felt the preservatives in packaged food the worst because they wind up help 'preserving' the fat cells which might make harder to burn those calories. Also fat cells are where the body winds up storing alot of stuffff.

I think it was the 1970s they had trouble with one of the dyes.

The skittles unlike m&ms probably have less natural stuff.

Moderation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss