Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2022, 09:55 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,561,252 times

Advertisements

New research links common sweetener with anxiety

Quote:
Florida State University College of Medicine researchers have linked aspartame, an artificial sweetener found in nearly 5,000 diet foods and drinks, to anxiety-like behavior in mice.

Along with producing anxiety in the mice who consumed aspartame, the effects extended up to two generations from the males exposed to the sweetener. The study is published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
Quote:
When given diazepam, a drug used to treat anxiety disorder in humans, mice in all generations ceased to show anxiety-like behavior.
I know this study is only using mice, but perhaps this finding might explain a few things about the modern world? Extrapolating, this stuff may be causing epigenetic changes that can last multiple generations. I think it needs further study.

Quote:
Pronounced anxiety-like behavior was observed in the mice through a variety of maze tests across multiple generations descending from the aspartame-exposed males.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2022, 07:48 AM

30,434 posts, read 19,200,796 times
So many friends and family females have debilitating anxiety, are there solutions? My closest family suffering with anxiety doesn't take aspartame, I asked after I saw this. I tend to think it's diet and possibly related to too much plastic and other chemicals seeping into bodies.

Old 12-13-2022, 07:38 PM

3,447 posts, read 2,426,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
So many friends and family females have debilitating anxiety, are there solutions? My closest family suffering with anxiety doesn't take aspartame, I asked after I saw this. I tend to think it's diet and possibly related to too much plastic and other chemicals seeping into bodies.
Because it can't possibly be the pressures of society, politics, the constant barrage of information coming at us via the internet - that's just causing people to frazzle and flip a switch in their brains telling them to do something different.

Old 12-14-2022, 11:21 AM

50,860 posts, read 36,551,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Because it can't possibly be the pressures of society, politics, the constant barrage of information coming at us via the internet - that's just causing people to frazzle and flip a switch in their brains telling them to do something different.
I'm sure it's both. I remember when Aspartame first came out. Multiple doctors were warning people about a link to brain tumors. So if it can affect one part of the brain, why not others? Aspartame is the artificial sweetener I trust the least, and unfortunately that's the one in almost all diet soda. Both Pepsi and Coke used to have versions with Splenda but discontinued both of them.

I have a feeling one day we will find a lot of our physical ailments are caused by either chemicals we use (fabric softener sheets, propellents in spray deodorants, pesticides and processed foods) are behind them. There is a reason Autism, Alzheimer's etc numbers are steadily rising.

I used to take Children's Benadryl to help me sleep, then read studies a few years ago linking it (and other anticholinergic drugs like overactive bladder meds, allergy meds, etc) with increased risk of dementia.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-...-with-dementia

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 12-14-2022 at 11:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss