Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2022, 08:19 AM

846 posts, read 687,127 times

Advertisements

Consider how much money people spend on weight loss programs and products. Supplements. etc. Yet they miss out on the one investment that will actually help you lose weight you can find for only $20-25 online. A food scale.

Some may say it's inconvenient, but is it really? It takes less than a few minutes total per day to use it. This is the same amount of time many overweight people will spend reading articles about nutrition/weight loss or other theorycrafting.

Example: Put a bowl on the food scale. Tare it. Check the box of the food you're eating to see the number of grams per serving. Pour it in until you hit the desired amount of grams. Done. Under 30 seconds.

This is very useful for calorically dense foods like cereal, oatmeal, rice, pasta, nuts, etc. These have a reputation for being fattening in excess, but are totally fine in moderation.

Like with many habits, we're deterred from doing them because it seems like they require a lot of steps. Yet once we practice it, we realize it's so simple. I'd be lying if I said I used this for every meal of every day, but I still use it frequently. Weighing food help you guesstimate better. This means, in situations, where you're unable to count calories or just feel like eyeballing it, you have a better understanding of what portion size you should be eating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2022, 07:38 PM

10,918 posts, read 7,431,435 times
A measuring cup works just as well, and is much cheaper.

Old 12-20-2022, 07:24 AM

9,883 posts, read 7,769,638 times
I got my food scale, just a small measuring cup you put on a simple scale, from the grocery store. Maybe $5 or so. No need to buy any fancy digital scale.

I split everything I cook into single serving containers.

Old 12-20-2022, 07:59 AM

29,758 posts, read 34,454,278 times
Weighing your food can work for some people, but for others it's a entry into obsessive behavior around food and disordered eating, so it is important to develop a healthy relationship to what you're eating and how you're eating it. When it comes down it, the average person has no idea exactly how many calories they're burning (and smartwatches are notoriously unreliable) and foods can vary from what the labels and the internet says. If a scale helps people get in touch with what are healthy portions for their own day-to-day needs, that's great, but it can be overkill.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Weighing your food can work for some people, but for others it's a entry into obsessive behavior around food and disordered eating
Yeah. And you don't have to use it every meal for every day of the rest of your life. But it's a good starting point.

Once you get in the habit of using a scale for a month or 2, you have a baseline of what your portion sizes should be like. And from there, you can just make it a natural habit without having to scale.

Though if you start gaining weight, it's time to bring back the scale for a bit to recenter yourself.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:06 AM

And yes, a measuring cup is perfectly fine too.

Old 12-24-2022, 07:03 AM

22,673 posts, read 24,647,023 times
I guesstimate and it seems to work fine.

Old 12-24-2022, 11:53 AM

310 posts, read 324,810 times
I think if you are really committed to a diet plan thats counts calories scale is a good investment along with measuring cups. We tend to underestimate weight and volume when it comes to calories. You would be surprised by how much.

Old 12-24-2022, 12:54 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,412,657 times
I don't use mine for dieting...but it definitely gets at the DENSITY of food.

I use mine for the many, many recipes that are based on weight rather than volume and recipes stated in grams rather than Imperial. Obviously, recipes can be relevant to weight loss as well. And you can get perfectly reliable ones that go up beyond 10 pounds for like $15 so very reasonable.

Old 12-24-2022, 05:33 PM

2,868 posts, read 1,817,984 times
Have used mine for years; ie large carton of Oikos yogurt, 32 ounces. Put it on the scale, scoop out the ounces I desire. Favorite ice cream after a week, still have half of it ! Since weighing a portion, well, except a couple times !

Tillamook, MALTED Moo Shake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss