Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2023, 08:21 AM

5,426 posts, read 3,498,756 times

Advertisements

I play a couple of free games on my phone - Words With Friends, Video Poker, and of course I get ads. WWF shows an ad after every move I make and most of the time it's for a weight loss gummy. While exiting out it shows that Oprah Winfrey endorses this supplement. I looked that up and she does NOT endorse this product. How is this game owner allowed to continue this false advertising?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2023, 08:59 AM

9,144 posts, read 6,196,866 times
She may not endorse OTC gummies but WW International (of which Oprah is a partner and board member) has acquired a company that will provide prescription drugs for weight loss and online doctors to write the scripts. Guess this is more lucrative.

Old 03-08-2023, 09:15 AM

Thanks Lillie, next time I see the ad, I'll make note of the company.

Old 03-08-2023, 09:17 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I play a couple of free games on my phone - Words With Friends, Video Poker, and of course I get ads. WWF shows an ad after every move I make and most of the time it's for a weight loss gummy. While exiting out it shows that Oprah Winfrey endorses this supplement. I looked that up and she does NOT endorse this product. How is this game owner allowed to continue this false advertising?
I've seen those ads before--you can tell that a foreign company has grabbed a bunch of unrelated clips off the internet and has clumsily patched them together to make an ad. Some of them will claim be from Shark Tank or have different people in the before and after pictures. The game company itself pays for an advertising package, and it doesn't have control over what ads show up in the package.

Old 03-09-2023, 01:07 PM

5,452 posts, read 4,056,924 times
I mod on another, smaller forum and EVERY DAY I delete spam for gummies - Keto gummies (think about that) or CBD gummies. They all have a name of the day - one day it will be Dolly Parton gummies, the next day Justin Bieber gummies.

Old 03-09-2023, 05:01 PM

Thanks for the info VTsnowbird. I only see Oprah when I try to exit out of the advertisement. I haven't seen any of the others yet, I hope I don't!

I wondered why Oprah doesn't try to fight this since she doesn't endorse the product? I suppose there are too many companies doing this that it would be a never ending cycle?

Old 03-09-2023, 09:54 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,402,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I mod on another, smaller forum and EVERY DAY I delete spam for gummies - Keto gummies (think about that) or CBD gummies. They all have a name of the day - one day it will be Dolly Parton gummies, the next day Justin Bieber gummies.
I could totally make keto gummies; gelatin (pure protein, I think; it's made from animal bones), artificial sweetener, plus whatever drug or supplement you're pushing.
The vegetarian version would use agar agar, made from seaweed; probably some carbs in that.

Old 03-09-2023, 10:07 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
All that OTC stuff doesn't work. Otherwise there wouldn't be so many people desperately and unsuccessfully trying to lose weight.

Old 03-10-2023, 06:16 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,056,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I could totally make keto gummies; gelatin (pure protein, I think; it's made from animal bones), artificial sweetener, plus whatever drug or supplement you're pushing.
The vegetarian version would use agar agar, made from seaweed; probably some carbs in that.
yes, but will they put your body in ketosis?

Old 03-10-2023, 05:26 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,402,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
yes, but will they put your body in ketosis?
If that's all you ate, I suppose so. I didn't realize that was the claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss