Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2023, 09:07 PM

25,756 posts, read 17,510,592 times

Advertisements

My Cholesterol is 134. It used to be 200.
Triglycerides are 64. They used to be a lot higher, but I don't know how high. 64 is really, really low. Triglyceride number is more important than cholesterol.

The difference is, I became a sort of carnivore. Lots of meat of all sorts. No bread, pasta, potatoes - none of that stuff at all. I cook with butter or lard.

At Costco ribeye is 87 cents/an ounce while potato chips are 28 cents/ounce. Nutrition wise, the steak is much more affordable, you can live & thrive on it exclusively. You will starve to death & suffer malnutrition eating potato chips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2023, 08:26 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,546,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Triglycerides are 64. They used to be a lot higher, but I don't know how high. 64 is really, really low. Triglyceride number is more important than cholesterol.

The difference is, I became a sort of carnivore. Lots of meat of all sorts. No bread, pasta, potatoes - none of that stuff at all. I cook with butter or lard.

At Costco ribeye is 87 cents/an ounce while potato chips are 28 cents/ounce. Nutrition wise, the steak is much more affordable, you can live & thrive on it exclusively. You will starve to death & suffer malnutrition eating potato chips.
You will never be a carnivore. You're a meat-eater, sure. But no, you don't turn into a carnivore. Carnivore is a word to describe certain biology of animals. Just like herbivores and omnivores. Humans are omnivores. That is our biology. We can CHOOSE to eat mostly meats - I believe the current name for that is "paleo." Or we can CHOOSE to follow our biology, and be what is currently called Flexitarian. or we can CHOOSE to be vegetarians, or vegans. But vegetarians and vegans are not herbivores. They're omnivores who have made dietary choices that are not in sync with their biology.

Vegetarian, vegan, flexitarian, paleo/keto eaters, pescatarians, these are all words describing dietary choices.

Carnivore, herbivore, omnivore, are words describing biological nutrition structure.

Old 06-13-2023, 08:34 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,546,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

Spinach is only 13 cents an ounce at Walmart, and has more nutrition per pound than a bone-in rib-eye.

Ribeye steak has zero vitamin C, zero fiber. A whole steak has more than 140% of your daily value of saturated fat, 77% of your entire day's worth of cholesterol, and 138% of your daily value of protein.

I mean, you do you but - I'd rather not risk constipation, diverticulosis, and hemorrhoids by eating only red meat and nothing else every day. Not to mention the heart disease, and liver disease from too much protein, and severe malnutrition and possibly even rickets and scurvy.

Old 06-13-2023, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Ribeye steak has zero vitamin C, zero fiber. A whole steak has more than 140% of your daily value of saturated fat, 77% of your entire day's worth of cholesterol, and 138% of your daily value of protein.

I mean, you do you but - I'd rather not risk constipation, diverticulosis, and hemorrhoids by eating only red meat and nothing else every day. Not to mention the heart disease, and liver disease from too much protein, and severe malnutrition and possibly even rickets and scurvy.
Rickets? Scurvy? Severe malnutrition?
Talk some nonsense, why don't you?
At any rate it all works for me. Had the metabolic and lipid panels run and every single number looked good.
Numbers I reported above were measured a few weeks ago. Perfect EKG.

I am sorry you are triggered by my diet.
Here's some support for my view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bxh...=DrTonyHampton

Old 06-13-2023, 10:35 PM

3,122 posts, read 2,464,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I recently took blood test/physical, and have high cholesterol.

Dietician told me to stop using soybean/canola oil, and butter. Use corn oil or safflower oil. But that is where it gets confusing. On my veg oil bottle, it says ZERO CHOLESTEROL, 0 trans fats. It has polysaturated fats though. The corn oil bottles at the super market.

So is cholesterol just trans fats? But if so, then soybean oil, and Canola have zero trans fats and cholesterol. Are they therefore not safe to use or is safe to use? Dietician tells me otherwise though.

Are fats on pork and steak, trans fats then? Also I was told carbohydrates make people fat, but it is a sugar, and my sugar is levels are fine. They are below pre-diabetes level. So I must just be eating too much trans fats.
Someone should tell your dietician that the cholesterol/dietary fat/heart disease hypothesis is complete bunk if that's the reason he or she told you to stop eating certain oils and butter. All of the oils mentioned are industrially made seed oils best avoided. (Butter is fine.)

Cholesterol is an animal product; no plant contains cholesterol. Your brain is largely made of cholesterol and it's a precursor for bile and hormones, among other functions. If you eat less cholesterol, your body will simply make more of its own.

Most trans-fats were man-made and were banned by the FDA in 2020. There are trace amounts of trans fats in nature, but these shouldn't affect your cholesterol. Not that your total cholesterol matters, anyway.

Carbohydrate causes your body to release insulin, and in some people it releases too much or the insulin hangs around too long and makes them gain weight.

Nina Teicholz on the junk science of saturated fat and cholesterol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfQJwFIbEoo&t=1647s

Eric Berg on why cholesterol is important:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kND-iQDrhKI

Old 06-14-2023, 06:39 AM

3,716 posts, read 2,454,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I recently took blood test/physical, and have high cholesterol.

Dietician told me to stop using soybean/canola oil, and butter. Use corn oil or safflower oil. But that is where it gets confusing. On my veg oil bottle, it says ZERO CHOLESTEROL, 0 trans fats. It has polysaturated fats though. The corn oil bottles at the super market.

So is cholesterol just trans fats? But if so, then soybean oil, and Canola have zero trans fats and cholesterol. Are they therefore not safe to use or is safe to use? Dietician tells me otherwise though.

Are fats on pork and steak, trans fats then? Also I was told carbohydrates make people fat, but it is a sugar, and my sugar is levels are fine. They are below pre-diabetes level. So I must just be eating too much trans fats.
Avoid all seed oils. Aka "vegetable oils."
You need an ApoB test for LDL.

Reducing high GI carbs will lower cholesterol very quickly.

MDs are lost.

Old 06-14-2023, 07:07 PM

9,205 posts, read 6,388,026 times
This is answer all your questions.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=arguing+ov...deos&ia=videos

Old 06-15-2023, 12:00 PM

The OP has been confused - and rightly so - by the food industry. Well meaning, but poorly informed folks have been telling us for many years that a plant based diet will solve our problems. Clearly, that has not happened. We eat an awful lot of foods that have virtually no value. We call them salads and after we load our plates with useless green looking things, we pour oil on it - oil that would be best used to lubricate machinery.

Eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast and no one blinks; eat a pork chop and egg (that's my choice) for breakfast) and people shriek and clutch their pearls. Pancakes and syrup are "normal". Steak and egg is "dangerous". Unless you include toast and a banana.

It's a topsy turvy world, and it was created by the food processing industry.

Old 06-15-2023, 07:41 PM

22,030 posts, read 25,396,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
You will never be a carnivore. You're a meat-eater, sure. But no, you don't turn into a carnivore. Carnivore is a word to describe certain biology of animals. Just like herbivores and omnivores. Humans are omnivores. That is our biology. We can CHOOSE to eat mostly meats - I believe the current name for that is "paleo." Or we can CHOOSE to follow our biology, and be what is currently called Flexitarian. or we can CHOOSE to be vegetarians, or vegans. But vegetarians and vegans are not herbivores. They're omnivores who have made dietary choices that are not in sync with their biology.

Vegetarian, vegan, flexitarian, paleo/keto eaters, pescatarians, these are all words describing dietary choices.

Carnivore, herbivore, omnivore, are words describing biological nutrition structure.
Or the famous Twinkie diet. Unhealthy is all hell but since it was an overweight person removing a diet of excess calories, a lot of the blood markers like HDL/LDL and triglycerides improved even on a diet of mostly Twinkies and Ho-Hos. Like everything else, fat is super healthy up until it reaches the point where it's not and the fat cells can't readily remove the excess fat from the body and store it where it belongs in the fat cells and not floating around in your blood and lymphatic system.

Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds - CNN.com

Old 06-17-2023, 10:21 AM

17,874 posts, read 16,111,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post

Carbohydrate causes your body to release insulin, and in some people it releases too much or the insulin hangs around too long and makes them gain weight.

Nina Teicholz on the junk science of saturated fat and cholesterol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfQJwFIbEoo&t=1647s

Eric Berg on why cholesterol is important:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kND-iQDrhKI
But my A1C is below prediabetic levels. So I am not considered to have insulin resistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Avoid all seed oils. Aka "vegetable oils."
You need an ApoB test for LDL.

Reducing high GI carbs will lower cholesterol very quickly.

MDs are lost.
Well yeh, my LDL is high. But what does the LDL come from? The veg oils have no cholesterol, or trans fats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss