Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2023, 10:26 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
But my A1C is below prediabetic levels. So I am not considered to have insulin resistance.

Well yeh, my LDL is high. But what does the LDL come from? The veg oils have no cholesterol, or trans fats.
Genetics will play a part.

I'm surprised that cheese wasn't listed as a do not eat/lower your consumption food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2023, 04:41 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

I'm surprised that cheese wasn't listed as a do not eat/lower your consumption food.
Yeah, Harvard says only about 20% of LDL comes from what you eat.
Other sources say LDL does not matter - the thing that matters is triglycerides, which is what the LDL is carrying around.
Many sources say vegetable oils are only appropriate for lubricating machinery. Margarine, they say (and I subscribe to this theory), is a harmful concoction of chemicals that taste like butter, and should not be consumed at all along with all other "vegetable oils".

I drove my numbers in the right direction by cooking with lard and butter, eating plenty of meat and other ingredients - I eat almost nothing processed.
The OP's doctor has recommended plenty of processed foods. Probably, my doctor would too. But that's because it is what THEY were told. We all were. So we order salads made of plants with no real nutritional value and cover them with artificial oils. Then we get fat and unhealthy.
That's the way I see it....

Old 06-17-2023, 06:46 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

I do eat a lot of cheese or at least more than I probably should.

Old 09-10-2023, 09:43 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
Someone w/ high cholesterol should avoid all oils except for something very lean....like light olive oil. Certainly no butter, red meat, etc. There are good fats in things like salmon and other fish. It really isn't about one thing or another, in most cases our whole diet is suspect.

You can drive yourself crazy reading all the conflicting advice, but the mantra is very simple. Lean meat like chicken, salmon, SMALL amounts of light olive oil, cut the salt way down, the same w/ sugar, and lots of raw or steamed fresh veggies (organic if you can afford it, especially w/ the deadly dozen like bell peppers, celery etc).

It's a lot better to nosh your way through the day too instead of sitting down and eating 3 meals. You will get hungry if you don't. Get plenty of exercise too because that dampens our appetites, sitting around has opposite effect. Things like avocados have nutritious oils but they're very high in calories, so use moderation. I'd also recommend eating a diet w/ lots of antioxidants....garlic, onions, blue berries, sweet potatoes, etc. What you're doing is not trying a diet out, but learning how to be fit and healthy. It's a lot of different things that all go together.

Old 09-11-2023, 09:05 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The OP's doctor has recommended plenty of processed foods. Probably, my doctor would too. But that's because it is what THEY were told. We all were. So we order salads made of plants with no real nutritional value and cover them with artificial oils. Then we get fat and unhealthy.
That's the way I see it....
I recently read that it takes an average of 23 years for new healthcare protocols to become standard. Our doctors are telling us what they learned years ago in school.

While it is possible to get better, more current information on the internet, you have to choose your sources wisely. There's a lot of wackos, too.

Old 09-13-2023, 09:00 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Personally, I wouldn't trust nutritional advice from most traditional doctors. They have very little educational classwork in nutrition.

Can you ask for a referral to a nutritionist?

I saw a nice cardiologist who was very "pleasingly plump." Should I trust his nutritional/dietary advice?

On the other hand, there are lots of books written by reputable doctors about lifestyle changes to lower your numbers. You could go to the library and get some to read...

Old 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM

1,423 posts, read 663,047 times
Quote:
I eat a lot of cruciferous veggies. But often it is sauteed in some kind of oil.

Did you only eat green salad and nothing else?
No. I eat them in addition to what I would normally eat.
I do think I eat less of what I normally eat just because the salad fills me up.
This was the only change I made to my diet.
I just know it worked for me. I'm certainly no cholesterol expert.

Old 09-17-2023, 06:35 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I think eating a very low-carb diet is very healthy for many people who do so.

But I see this trend of people eating low-carb, then doing things like adding butter to their coffee or slathering their steaks with sour-cream......I really do not think this is necessary and in many cases is not healthy.

Old 09-17-2023, 06:41 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Quote:
I recently took blood test/physical, and have high cholesterol..
Everyone I know has high cholesterol. Has it occured to the doctors maybe your body wants it this way.

I would recommend a coronary calcium scan. I had high cholesterol for 20 years and got a CAC. Result zero.

A CAC is a much better indicator of your actual build up in the arteries than your blood result.

Old 09-17-2023, 07:46 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
I dropped mine 25 points in 10 months of no animal fat at all.. egg white omelets.
And eating oatmeal.
Went back up the following yr ...when I chucked all that and ate cheese, eggs and meat again.
Oatmeal only once in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss