Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 09:15 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times

Advertisements

I've lost nearly 20 pounds in the past 3 months via intermittent fasting (my food window is 12p - 8p), keeping calories between 1600-2000 and generally trying to keep carbs down to 100 or less per day (although I'm not super strict about that one as much as the IF and daily caloric intake).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2023, 09:41 AM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Currently weigh 233. Cutting out pasta, pizza, bread, cookies, cakes and walking 3 miles a day. Is that enough to knock off 30 pounds in 90 days?
I'll join the group who says, "Yes".
Exceptional feats are accomplished by those who will do what others won't. Kobe Bryant worked out three times a day! Mick Jagger works out twice a day.
30 pounds/90 days has been done by many people, many times. It can be done, and that's a fact. It is also probably a fact that you know how to do it.
Knowing the way is not going the way. Buckle up, make the goal real and important to you, and you will do it.

Protein and fat for long term energy. Carbohydrates if there is nothing else to eat. If 3 miles a day isn't working, then walk 5. Or six. Or twice a day.

Please report back on 10/23.

Old 08-01-2023, 09:51 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I'll join the group who says, "Yes".
Exceptional feats are accomplished by those who will do what others won't. Kobe Bryant worked out three times a day! Mick Jagger works out twice a day.
They're also multimillionaires who have access to the best doctors, personal trainers, and personal chefs at all times. They don't work 9-5 jobs (or multiple jobs) with commutes or have family obligations. Sure, anything is possible with enough intention, but implying that we all have the same 24 hours in a day and the same resources is reductive.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 08-01-2023 at 10:33 AM..

Old 08-01-2023, 05:10 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
They're also multimillionaires who have access to the best doctors, personal trainers, and personal chefs at all times. They don't work 9-5 jobs (or multiple jobs) with commutes or have family obligations. Sure, anything is possible with enough intention, but implying that we all have the same 24 hours in a day and the same resources is reductive.
You've got it beautifully backward.
Fitness is acquired at the gym. Weight loss is acquired at the dinner table. If he has time to eat he has time to not eat, doesn't he?

Those millionaires became fantastically successful because they did things other people would not do. You seem to feel they just "became successful" by happenstance so now they can afford to work out 3 times a day.
Those "best doctors, personal trainers, and personal chefs" are not going to work out for them.

I'm following a guy on Twitter who gets up at 4AM every day and goes to Planet Fitness before work. He admits to being massively overweight and this is what he is doing to correct it. 115 pounds so far in 12 months.
People who want to get it done will do it.
The OP wants it; I hope he gets it. Any way he wants to.

I'll say it again: "Protein and fat for long term energy. Carbohydrates if there is nothing else to eat. If 3 miles a day isn't working, then walk 5. Or six. Or twice a day."

Old 08-02-2023, 07:41 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You've got it beautifully backward.
Fitness is acquired at the gym. Weight loss is acquired at the dinner table. If he has time to eat he has time to not eat, doesn't he?

Those millionaires became fantastically successful because they did things other people would not do. You seem to feel they just "became successful" by happenstance so now they can afford to work out 3 times a day.
Those "best doctors, personal trainers, and personal chefs" are not going to work out for them.
Uh, no, this isn't about hustling at all. I'm just noting that claiming that a regular person has no excuses because Beyonce can work out 4 hours a day is unreasonable. Beyonce also has nannies and a trainer that comes to her house. Beyonce doesn't go grocery shopping or have to pick up a prescription for her grandma or fold her own laundry. All of that and more gives her the time that another mom with three kids who has to drive them to daycare and soccer practice and work a 9-5 office job doesn't have. There's a lot more going on in people's lives that might keep them from optimal health and fitness than not wanting it hard enough.

Old 08-02-2023, 08:20 AM

21,827 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Yup, shopping cart contents and fast food and screen time are in the way for most people. Low hanging fruit.

Old 08-07-2023, 09:39 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Currently weigh 233. Cutting out pasta, pizza, bread, cookies, cakes and walking 3 miles a day. Is that enough to knock off 30 pounds in 90 days?
Well personally I'm going calorie deficient I weigh probably an extra 40 pounds more than you do but I've cut out all meals except one a day while that meal is right now sitting at anywhere from 1400 to 1600 calories I'm trying to find ways to cut back a little more.

Due to physical limitations I can't walk 3 miles I encourage you to do such and maybe have some arm weights or leg weights in addition because you'll feel way different after you take them off and that extra weight will help you probably burn up some more calories.

Also if you're sitting down like I do a lot have some hand weights and lift them occasionally every few hours and anything to burn the calories that you get from what you eat.

Old 08-11-2023, 01:14 AM

10,431 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Quote:

I had to comment here because im doing a 90 day diet since 8/1. I also weighed in at 230lbs, my goal is also 30lbs. Ive never dieted in my life, so it looks like we are doing this together.

Im on an all meat and vegetable diet, with fruits on rare occasion only to curve hunger.

My days so far have been 2 boiled eggs for a late breakfast. Lunch has been a small salad, made at home with olive oil or a greek yogurt based healthy dressing.

Most dinners have just been bbq grilled chicken, a vegetable and a salad again.

Ive been doing 2 hours at the gym 4 or 5 days a week, 1 hour weight lifting and 1 hour cardio.

Im 10 day in and have gotten some muscle definition back from weight lifting. I weighed in on 8/7 at 222lbs and thought I lost 8 pounds, weighed back in today and back to 228.

Anyway best of luck, would like to regularly check-in with you and see your progress.

Old 08-11-2023, 01:46 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I had to comment here because im doing a 90 day diet since 8/1. I also weighed in at 230lbs, my goal is also 30lbs. Ive never dieted in my life, so it looks like we are doing this together.

Im on an all meat and vegetable diet, with fruits on rare occasion only to curve hunger.

My days so far have been 2 boiled eggs for a late breakfast. Lunch has been a small salad, made at home with olive oil or a greek yogurt based healthy dressing.

Most dinners have just been bbq grilled chicken, a vegetable and a salad again.

Ive been doing 2 hours at the gym 4 or 5 days a week, 1 hour weight lifting and 1 hour cardio.

Im 10 day in and have gotten some muscle definition back from weight lifting. I weighed in on 8/7 at 222lbs and thought I lost 8 pounds, weighed back in today and back to 228.

Anyway best of luck, would like to regularly check-in with you and see your progress.
for you to have lost 8lbs of fat in 10 days would mean you had a calorie deficit of 28,000 calories (3,500 calories in 1lb of fat * 8lbs). Or in other words, a deficit of 2,800 calories per day. Do you really think that is realistically possible?

Most rapid losses of weight on the scale is just water weight. You need to have realistic expectations on what you can lose in a 30 day time period, so you don't get discouraged and end your diet.

Old 10-06-2023, 07:48 AM

1,530 posts, read 2,415,635 times
Update on my progress. Cut back on wine limiting drinks to one day a week. Walking everyday. From a starting weight of 233 I am now at 220. With thanksgiving and Christmas coming it will be tough. Thanks for your input and support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss