Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 05:55 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Even a lot of the "good carbs" cause me grief.

A lot of vegetables, such as broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower, give me a lot of bloating, gas, heartburn and sometimes reflux.

Sure, if I eat limited amounts of these very low-carb veggies, I will not get the dreaded carb-crash, which I get from higher carb foods. But they are still problematic.

The concept of what is good and bad food for an individual varies a lot. Don't tell me a food that makes me
stinky and gassy is good for ME.
Broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower are gassy vegetables. Crucifers (the category those are all in) give most people gas. If you cook them, it reduces the odor of the gas you emit. Steamed or sauteed, they need to be cooked for at least a few minutes before you eat them, IF you want to avoid the stank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2023, 07:41 AM

Tickyul think of it this way:

Those kinds of veggies don't stink up the room by themselves, until you start to cook them. That's because - all that sulphur is leaving the veggie and dispersing into the air.

That's what raw crucifers do in your digestive system. It can't hurt you unless you have a sensitivity to them or you eat too much of them. But yeah it'll make your gas especially malodorous!

Old 11-07-2023, 08:16 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
It's a bit more complex than just "stank".

FODMAPS--four types of carbohydrates that can cause diarrhea and gut distress--are found in many vegetables, grains, some nuts, and dairy.

Cauliflower contains high levels of mannitol, a sugar alcohol used as a low calorie sweetener. If you've ever regretted eating too many sugar free candies, this was probably the culprit.

Broccoli also contains polyols, more in the stems than heads. Broccolini is just the opposite, with more polyols in the heads. Both are fine for most people, but cause problems for others.

Old 11-07-2023, 02:53 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Tickyul think of it this way:

Those kinds of veggies don't stink up the room by themselves, until you start to cook them. That's because - all that sulphur is leaving the veggie and dispersing into the air.

That's what raw crucifers do in your digestive system. It can't hurt you unless you have a sensitivity to them or you eat too much of them. But yeah it'll make your gas especially malodorous!

One of the problem for me is, the carbs in cooked vegetables seem to impact me noticeably
more negatively than raw vegetables........so I tend to stick to raw-vegetables that seem to agree with my wonky gut/digestive-system.

Some vegetables really seem to agree with me: cucumber, cilantro, parsley, spinach, celery,
bok-choy, thyme.

Old 11-07-2023, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
It's a bit more complex than just "stank".

FODMAPS--four types of carbohydrates that can cause diarrhea and gut distress--are found in many vegetables, grains, some nuts, and dairy.

Cauliflower contains high levels of mannitol, a sugar alcohol used as a low calorie sweetener. If you've ever regretted eating too many sugar free candies, this was probably the culprit.

Broccoli also contains polyols, more in the stems than heads. Broccolini is just the opposite, with more polyols in the heads. Both are fine for most people, but cause problems for others.

That makes a lot of sense to me, most of the FODMAPS foods seem to give me a lot
of trouble.

AND, gag, sugar-free chocolates. I once bought a little bag of like 6 small
sugar-free chocolates made with sugar-alcohol, I thought I was going to
explode and die of the toxic stink I was emitting.

Old 11-07-2023, 08:39 PM

Quote:
One of the problem for me is, the carbs in cooked vegetables seem to impact me noticeably
more negatively than raw vegetables........so I tend to stick to raw-vegetables that seem to agree with my wonky gut/digestive-system.

Some vegetables really seem to agree with me: cucumber, cilantro, parsley, spinach, celery,
bok-choy, thyme.
Parsley, cilantro, and thyme aren't vegetables.

Cukes tend to be naturally gassy, except the English ones which are bred to not be quite so bad.

None of the ones you mentioned are crucifers. You had specified "such as broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower, give me a lot of bloating, gas, heartburn and sometimes reflux." All of -those- vegetables are cruciferous vegetables - also known simply as crucifers.

Old 11-08-2023, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Parsley, cilantro, and thyme aren't vegetables.

Cukes tend to be naturally gassy, except the English ones which are bred to not be quite so bad.

None of the ones you mentioned are crucifers. You had specified "such as broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower, give me a lot of bloating, gas, heartburn and sometimes reflux." All of -those- vegetables are cruciferous vegetables - also known simply as crucifers.

I can only say what works best for me............others, IDK.

Of course parsley, cilantro and thyme are vegetables.

Old 11-08-2023, 08:11 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
I guess I should be thankful that I don't have any type of gassy problem. I eat cauliflower, broccoli, cucumbers or cabbage every day. Usually raw.

Old 11-08-2023, 10:19 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
I can only say what works best for me............others, IDK.

Of course parsley, cilantro and thyme are vegetables.
They are vegetative in nature, but are generally classed as herbs.

Fruits, nuts, and grains (and vegetables) are also vegetative, but are in their own separate classes.

Old 11-08-2023, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
They are vegetative in nature, but are generally classed as herbs.

Fruits, nuts, and grains (and vegetables) are also vegetative, but are in their own separate classes.

OK, I just know lots of different vegetables do not agree with me.....brussel-sprouts, UGH.

The definition of vegetable encompasses a lot, with many sub-categories falling under
the vegetable name. Herbs are a subset of vegetables.

The internet seems to pretty consistently give a definition of vegetable
very similar to this one:

A vegetable is the edible portion of a plant. Vegetables are usually grouped according to the portion of the plant that is eaten such as leaves (lettuce), stem (celery), roots (carrot), tubers (potato), bulbs (onion) and flowers (broccoli). A fruit is the mature ovary of a plant.

https://vric.ucdavis.edu/main/faqs.h...of%20a%20plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss