Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2008, 08:23 PM

173 posts, read 939,518 times

Advertisements

Greeting good folks at CD,

Well I weighed myself over the weekend and discovered that I exceeded my weight limit of 150. I was actually 161 and NOT happy at all. I've noticed over the last year I've been eating whatever I want, snacking whenever I want etc. But now I've reached a point in which I need help. I am thinking of joining "weight watchers". I do have one good good girlfriend who tried it and says that she LEARNED how to eat. Of course she is an advocate, but I just wanted to know how YOU GUYS felt about Weight Watchers.

This is the real deal. If I don't do something about this weight I don't want to wake up in 6 months and be 180lbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 09:03 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,400,901 times
I have done WW years ago and still follow it today. I love that it is easy to follow and all I think of is eating more greens to lose weight. I tell everyone to learn it once and follow through for life. WW shows you how to eat right for a lifestyle.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:19 AM

479 posts, read 1,237,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missnew2nc View Post
Greeting good folks at CD,

Well I weighed myself over the weekend and discovered that I exceeded my weight limit of 150. I was actually 161 and NOT happy at all. I've noticed over the last year I've been eating whatever I want, snacking whenever I want etc. But now I've reached a point in which I need help. I am thinking of joining "weight watchers". I do have one good good girlfriend who tried it and says that she LEARNED how to eat. Of course she is an advocate, but I just wanted to know how YOU GUYS felt about Weight Watchers.

This is the real deal. If I don't do something about this weight I don't want to wake up in 6 months and be 180lbs.
And quite likely, you could get to 180 lbs. Take it from my experience, once you start gaining weight, it just keeps going up until you nip it in the bud. Up until a few months ago, I was just like you, eating what I wanted, except I weighed 220. I really shouldn't weigh more than 160 at most. I've lost 22 lbs. so far going into the 15th week. I think that the points system and accountability is great. Do something about it now when it's easier. It's a lot easier losing 10-15 lbs. than 50. Quite likely, you are younger than myself, I'm 59, so that makes a difference too. Weight Watchers is well worth the money!

Old 06-09-2008, 12:35 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,274,546 times
I am currently going to weight watchers, and I like it. The program is flexible, realistic, financially reasonable and healthy IMO. Any diet will work if you do it, of course, but I think some ways are more healthy long-term than others. Weight Watchers also encourages adding exercise in. WW provides the accountability in the form of a weekly weigh-in and I think that's helpful. All in all, I think WW is a very good program which has obviously stood the test of time.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:55 PM

9,727 posts, read 14,271,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I am currently going to weight watchers, and I like it. The program is flexible, realistic, financially reasonable and healthy IMO. Any diet will work if you do it, of course, but I think some ways are more healthy long-term than others. Weight Watchers also encourages adding exercise in. WW provides the accountability in the form of a weekly weigh-in and I think that's helpful. All in all, I think WW is a very good program which has obviously stood the test of time.
I'm a lifetime member of WW, but learned what I needed to learn, and stopped going. It's true, that they now emphasize more exercise, which is good. I took it a step farther, stopped going to WW once I learned how to eat, and took that money and joined Curves. Now I bike to Curves 4x week to do the circuit. So, instead of sitting in that WW class listening to everyone's questions and problems (some negative) I exercise at Curves that 1/2 hour, and they weigh/measure me once/month. I will say, WW was the foundation, and teaches correct eating habits which helped me. But after awhile, I got bored sitting idle in that class, when I could be movin'

Old 06-09-2008, 03:10 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,919,019 times
I *loved* weight watchers. I joined 11/99 at 194 (had already lost some weight by the time I joined) and I am 5'5. By 6/00, I was at my goal of 140. By the end of July I was at 125 and then down to 121. I stopped living the life and gained back 20 lbs by late 02. I then lost it right away and today, I am at about 110-115. I have kept the weight off by keeping portion size under control. My overall eating habits changed drastically. The hardest part for ME was learning to stop eating once I was no longer hungry and NEVER eating until full. If I gain weight now, it is because I have allowed myself to eat unchecked and then just start eating better and it goes away. It also helps that I have a job that requires a lot of walking and lifting. I get my exercise without having to go to a gym.

The meetings work for some and not others. What I got out of them was new foods people found that were low point.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:47 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,274,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post

The meetings work for some and not others.
It also makes a difference about the instructor--how interesting and motivating they are to listen to.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:19 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,017,106 times
I have read many heathy eating books because I find them interesting.
I think Weight Watchers is a very sound heathy eating program.
It gives you the tools to keep that weight where you need to.
If you don't want to go to the meetings you can join online.
My husband lost 25 pounds in 2 months doing the core diet
but he was almost 270 to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss