Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 08:36 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times

Advertisements

I'm a 45 year-old male. Since becoming a teacher 15 years ago my weight has steadily increased even though my appetite and consumption has actually decreased.

I know that many have the view that teachers must have it made with all their free time in the summer but let me tell you it comes at a cost.

Being a classroom math teacher does not afford much movement during the day. Sharing a 25ft x 25ft with 25 kids each period does not leave much room to move around and get much exercise. Working with 7th graders also leaves one, let me say, a little less energetic at the end of the day too.

When I worked in private industry I had much more need to move around as I was meeting and interacting with business associates on a daily basis. Business people were also much more active outside the office and spent more time doing things together than I have experienced in the teaching world.

When I taught elementary schools I noticed that many people were grazers eating all day (a lot of junk). At the middle school I'm often not able to leave their classroom at all, even to use the bathroom, for 3 or 4 hours. This makes the health habit I used to follow like drinking water and eating small meals very difficult.

The bottom line, this 5'11" frame needs to slim down and drop 40 lbs to get back to the weight where walking up a flight of stairs isn't making one break a sweat.

I'm getting desperate. I've even considered ditching the computer and Internet. Lol!

Any teachers out there with some words of wisdom and encouragement in meeting my goal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 08:46 PM

I did the BMI calculations and it says my ideal weight is 162. I know personally that 165 to 170 was when I felt my best. I was 155 lbs 16 years ago and I felt horrible. I had no energy, looked unhealthy too. If truly believe that the 10% under is worse for your health than 10% over. Am I wrong?

I've steadily gained about 7 pounds a year starting 6 years ago. Time to reverse the trend. I don't expect it to take place over night. I'd be happy with 7 coming off over the next 6 years but with a healthy mix of exercise and life style changes.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:02 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
The BMI is a bunch of PC garbage.

Mr. Teacher, after school, go for a run, go to the gym, it is laziness that is the problem, not your schedule. Not being harsh but it is true, you do have plenty of time and your job is not physically demanding.

The BMI is so flawed that I can't beleive credible people even refer to it. The BMI would have you beleive that it is perfect to be obviously overweight as a female and it is normal for a guy to be as thin as a toothpick.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:15 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
I've watched my colleagues get bigger over the years too. I'm sorry you're experiencing this as well. I am actually thinner than when I started teaching, but I've learned to follow these rules:

1. Do not eat school lunches. They are fattening. Pack a healthy small lunch and eat what you pack.

2. Walk whenever you get a chance.

3. Only eat half of what you want to eat or usually eat.

4.Take small bites, eat slowly, and savor each bite.

5. Don't drink pop/soda. Drink water and only water at work.

6. Don't buy any food items at school.

7. I too gain about seven pounds throughout the school year, but each summer I work feverishly to lose those seven pounds and some more. Last summer I worked very hard and lost twenty pounds, so now I'm thinner than when I started teaching - 5'8", 130 lbs., size 6-8 pants. If I can do it so can you it just takes the proper mindset.

P.S. I agree about the bathroom thing. It's not possible to ingest a lot of water during the day when you don't have access to a restroom for four hours. As a result, I limit my water intake during the day and increase it when I get home and on weekends. Best wishes!

Old 06-14-2008, 09:25 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,257 times
Well Lincolnian, the problem seems to be not your job, but you. I work in the office and i sit on my arse 8hr a day 5 days a week. How is that?

What exactly do you do to help yourself lose weight? Anything?? I don't think your job has anything to do with you not dropping pounds.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Well Lincolnian, the problem seems to be not your job, but you. I work in the office and i sit on my arse 8hr a day 5 days a week. How is that?

What exactly do you do to help yourself lose weight? Anything?? I don't think your job has anything to do with you not dropping pounds.
I walk a couple of miles on average three days a week. I ski most weekends in the winter and swim and kayak in the summer. I used to be a regular cyclist both road and mountain biking but found my riding partners slowly disappear as we all became parent. I'd used to be a committed runner but my knees aren't what they used to be so I'll have to stick with the lower impact alternatives instead.

You're right no excuses. This summer my goal is 4 miles of walking a day 7 days a week, period!

Now that the kids are old enough it's time to reinvigorate my cycling interest and bring the rest of the family along for the ride too!

Old 06-15-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
The BMI is a bunch of PC garbage.

Mr. Teacher, after school, go for a run, go to the gym, it is laziness that is the problem, not your schedule. Not being harsh but it is true, you do have plenty of time and your job is not physically demanding.

The BMI is so flawed that I can't beleive credible people even refer to it. The BMI would have you beleive that it is perfect to be obviously overweight as a female and it is normal for a guy to be as thin as a toothpick.
I agree with you about the BMI. Personally, I just explored it as a comparison to other estimates of what one should weigh. Many sources confirmed my personal experience that 165 is my ideal body weight.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:39 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
I have been a teacher myself so I know what you are talking about. The first thing to do though is to stop blaming everybody (and everything) else but yourself for being in your current situation. I don't mean that to be mean but rather nobody is going to change your lifestyle until you make the change. Until then, one can blame all they want on outside factors but the truth of the matter remains at the end of the day when you get heart problems, diabetes, low self-esteem, what have you, it ain't gonna do any good pointing the finger at anybody.

The good thing is, you've come to this "realization". You've made a lot of excuses for yourself so now the question is, "How bad do you want it?" Do you want to lose weight bad enough that instead of giving excuses you are going to come up with a plan? I know it is hard with your kind of schedule but even people in the private sector "let themselves go" and say they don't have the time. I've also seen teachers run marathons. It goes either way.

Here's a couple of things to add:

1. Park as far away as possible to buildings whether at work or going out.

2. Snacking can be a good thing!! It's all about planning ahead so bring healthy snacks to work with you and keep perishables in one of those insulated bags with ice. A friend of mine once did this diet: you had to eat every 3 hours and you could eat whatever you wanted as long as it was 300 calories. It totally worked for her and she always ate junk food. Ha. I'm not suggesting that but what I am suggesting is that snacking can be helpful if done right.

3. "Working out" doesn't have to be a lot. If you can squeeze in a 10 minute walk a night that's better than nothing.

4. Yeah, BMI's are a whole bunch of hooey. You can use it as a general guide to follow but the important thing is how good to you feel about yourself and go from there. At least that's what's worked for me. If you're really concerned about your situation, consult your physician. I think the water submersion BMI method is more accurate. Maybe your doctor can recommend a place that does it.

5. Stop drinking cokes and cofee!! If you need the caffeine, drink hot tea ... or even iced tea. I feel that drinking a glass of OJ in the morning gives me a good "pick me up".

6. Drink lots of water. I know this is a tough one but someone suggested at home which is great. I would definitely make sure to drink most of the 8 glasses just before class ends or right when it ends so you're not in the bathroom all night.

Good luck to you!

Old 06-15-2008, 10:52 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Keep in mind as well that even though you don't think you have changed your eating habits over the years, as you grow older you will have to make adjustments no matter what! Metabolism slows down. I never have had weight issues - could eat anything I wanted. Then I hit my mid 30's. My metabolism slowed way, way down. You have to get more active. That's all there is to it. And you have to be consistent.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:58 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I gave up regular drinking of soda awhile ago. I only have a soda occasionally and really prefer to drink water.

Coffee is another issue. I can't an will not give up my two cups of coffee at 4 am for anything. It is one of life's simple pleasures. I use very little sugar and a dash of light cream.

I don't eat a lot of high fat foods and my family and I cook our own meals and are very conscious of portion size and a healthy mix.

The primary difference is movement. That is my goal. Lifestyle has changed as I am very active in writing, web design, committee work as well as my children's youth activities.

Since I am an early riser my walking routine is now a 5:00 am routine. I'm refitting one of my mountain bikes with some smoother urban tires and saddle bags to double as a short haul errand runner. Since I'm home with the kids in the summer we'll be doing a lot more bicycle trips to the store together. This will not only make my body healthier but the gas bill as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss