Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 11:13 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times

Advertisements

New weight loss diet recommends high-carb and protein big breakfast

Researchers have found a possible way to overcome the common problem of dieters eventually abandoning their diet and regaining the weight they lost. Eat a big breakfast packed with carbohydrates ("carbs") and protein, then follow a low-carb, low-calorie diet the rest of the day, the authors of a new study recommend. Results were presented Tuesday, June 17, at The Endocrine Society's 90th Annual Meeting in San Francisco...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 11:26 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Brian ....do you think people could live like that for the rest of their life??

Forget all the gimmick diets out there (atkins to ornish etc..). Eat all macronutrients at every meal but just in moderation as that's what i continue to read about how the Centenarians (100 and older) eat.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:47 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Actually, that diet seems pretty good to me, and I read one low carb diet book which suggested eating the majority of carbs in the morning... But: 1085 calories a day? That doesn't seem sustainable.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:39 PM

574 posts, read 2,044,474 times
I still say if you eat less, no matter what it is, and move your body more, you will lose weight.

Nancy

Old 06-19-2008, 01:26 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times
Common sense will tell you, if you eat more in the morning, lesser towards end of the day, and eat nothing after sun set, you will burn more calories because you move during the day and you slow down as day goes by. Make sense?? Unless you're on different schedule.....

Now, lets revers that, and eat NOTHING in the morning, and pig out for dinner and go to bed... Which way would you lose weight faster?? Think about....

So this new weight lost magic has nothing new to it, the only thing they added is CARBS and called it a "DIET"

If everyone used common sense, we wouldn't be looking for promissing diets and such.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:24 PM

410 posts, read 1,681,877 times
Default Granny knew best...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Common sense will tell you, if you eat more in the morning, lesser towards end of the day, and eat nothing after sun set, you will burn more calories because you move during the day and you slow down as day goes by. Make sense?? Unless you're on different schedule.....

Now, lets revers that, and eat NOTHING in the morning, and pig out for dinner and go to bed... Which way would you lose weight faster?? Think about....

So this new weight lost magic has nothing new to it, the only thing they added is CARBS and called it a "DIET"

If everyone used common sense, we wouldn't be looking for promissing diets and such.

I agree ...not sure about the rest of you but ...my grandmothers generation didn't seem to have weight problems. They were farmers who ate a hearty breakfast, early supper (lunch) and very little dinner. There were a lot of vegetables on the table... fresh from the plant with no sauces. They also spent the majority of the day being mobile...no time spent channel surfing and blogging....there were clothes to wash, floors to scrub, meals to prepare and livestock/crops to tend.

There must have been something to that life style as she was always smiling! Sunny

Old 08-07-2014, 08:21 PM

7 posts, read 7,484 times
Ira500,

It is recommended for a mid age lady, mid activity level to eat 1200 calories a day to maintain a healthy weight. An older than that highly active would eat more calories than that.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:06 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eftweightloss View Post
Ira500,

It is recommended for a mid age lady, mid activity level to eat 1200 calories a day to maintain a healthy weight. An older than that highly active would eat more calories than that.

Disagree. I'm no scientist, nutritionist, etc., but I am a mid-age lady with some activity and 1200 is not enough. Why is 1200 always thrown out as some magical number. EACH INDIVIDUAL needs to figure out what their number is, and usually based on their BMR.

My number currently is 1700. As I continue to lose, I know it will become lower, but it will never be 1200 (at least I hope not!), that is just not enough to LIVE on.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:20 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Disagree. I'm no scientist, nutritionist, etc., but I am a mid-age lady with some activity and 1200 is not enough. Why is 1200 always thrown out as some magical number. EACH INDIVIDUAL needs to figure out what their number is, and usually based on their BMR.

My number currently is 1700. As I continue to lose, I know it will become lower, but it will never be 1200 (at least I hope not!), that is just not enough to LIVE on.

I'd like to know where it is written than middle aged women should eat 1200 calories a day - I don't believe that. Someone that is sedentary and 5 feet tall and 55 years old versus someone of the same age that is 5'9 and leads an active life that includes cardio, weights, etc. - how could they possible live on the same number of calories?

I am almost 64 and I would be severely underweight if I ate 1200 calories. I eat around 2000 calories a day and am 5'9, size 4. You can't just slap calorie numbers on people because they are older. Some of us older ladies lead very active, athletic lifestyles, some are more sedentary and need to eat less. I eat a lot - I just don't eat sugar or junk food.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:52 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,607 times
I actually did this for the last month without trying to. I got a pretty hearty sized bacon egg and cheese (high quality ingredients though), apple juice and coffee for b-fast. I wouldn't get hungry until like 3pm, when I would either eat some tuna fish or just a small snack to hold me over until dinner, where I would have meat and veggies. Consistently dropped size off my waist over the course of the month/month and a half.

That being said, I'm back to fasting in the morning. I don't have delicious bacon egg and cheese sandwiches where I am now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss