Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 10:44 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times

Advertisements

I used to weigh about 185, and now I'm down to 164 and still losing. I know it's tough to lose weight and people are trying different things, so if anyone is interested they can read how I've had success (I did cheat a little). It comes down to those two famous dieters words: diet and exercise. However, it's improtant to know how to diet and exercise.

I'll start with diet, because I think it's equally if not more important. I cut back on my caloric intake. I restricted my calories to between 1200 and 1400 per day. I looked carefully at everything I put in my mouth. It takes a little discipline and a little math. If you eat out, remember to add the dressing and other condiments you put on your food. Calorie-count.org has the listing for most foods and different eating establishment. It's really a great tool if you're trying to lose weight. I added my calories at the end of the day.

I didn't restrict myself to bland food. I even had some ice cream cake for my brother's birthday and I had cheesecake and pizza on occasion. If I had something that was high on calories, I just cut back a little on the next meal to make up for it. The only problem with this is you lose some of your daily nurtritional value, but a piece of cake now and then helps you from going insane. Although I tried to eat only 10 precent of my calories from fat, it's really only the total number of calories that matters.

I found that a great way to cut calories is by watching what I drink. One bottle of regular soda is about 250 calories! If you switch to diet, or better yet to water, that cuts 250 calories out of your diet. If you drink 3 sodas a day, like I did, that's about 750 calories. I've found that those "Fuze" drinks are low on calories (about 10 per bottle) and contain vitamins. Vitamin water is okay, but it's about 150 calories per bottle. Drinking a lot of water also helps you fight hunger.

I also paid attention to serving size. For example, the bottle of pepsi says it only has 100 calories, but the serving size is 2.5, which means you just drank 250 calories. By checking the serving size, you get a more accurate calorie count. When you're out with your friend and you don't know the calories or serving size, you could just eat less than you normally would. It's not a great way to do it but at least you will still be reducing your intake. When drinking, I found that rum and diet coke is a fairly lean way to go. If you don't drink rum, Miller lite only has about 96 calories per bottle.

The second prong was an exercise regimen. I actually did two different exercise regimens. The first one was easy. Every day before bed, I would do a series of simple excercises in my room. These included: sit ups, leg lifts, knee lifts, "bicycle" sit ups, and push ups. These are all easy to do and you can do them when you're watching TV. I tried to do them every day, and I would do one or two more repetitions of each exercise each time I did them.

The second part was aerobic exercise. I either went to the gym and used the eliptical machine or I ran on the track. Whichever I did, I always tried to run a little further or work a little harder than I did the last time. I recorded my times/miles/cal and tried to beat it the next time. I tried to do this between 3-5 times per week (usually 4). You should always check with your doctor before starting an exercise program.

Anyway, that's how I lost over 20 lbs in a little over 2 months. I know it sucks to try to lose the weight, so I figured I share some of the stuff that worked for me. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 07:36 AM

207 posts, read 705,146 times
Your story is very inspiring. I get so tired of seeing the posts on the Fitness Board telling people to just eat less & exercise more, whenever anyone inquires about weight loss.

Meanwhile, many people may try to eat less but they are still hungry or have certain cravings, so that issue is never simply resolved by just "eating less". It is more a question of how can I curtail those cravings. Also, not everyone knows how to exercise more, so having you show those little examples gives people hope.

I joined the YMCA about 3 weeks ago and try to take a weight lifting class at least once a week, in addition to aerobic activity about 3 times a week. However, on Sunday I really hurt my foot and I have been struggling with what type of workout I can do. I know I can do the weight lifting class as I am not running & jumping in that class. However, your example of doing the " sit ups, leg lifts, knee lifts, "bicycle" sit ups, and push ups" while watching TV is something else I will try.

I gained 75lbs during my pregancy and now my child is 2. Since then I have lost all but the last 15-16 pounds. It is like I just hit a brick wall, for a while I had given up on losing the 15lbs. However, I am trying again & since joining the Y I lost 4.5 very hard to lose pounds. Hopefully the other 10 or more will come off also. Good luck to you & please keep sharing your sory.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:08 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,580,472 times
I have lost 40 pounds in the last 3 years just by making better choices in what I eat. If I have "A", I can't have "B". I MAKE myself make choices so I am not deprived of anything I really want, it makes me decide which I want the most and I can have it. I even still have my sweets, just less of it IF I ate a healthier meal. It has worked for me!

Old 06-25-2008, 07:31 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,631,075 times
Well i had to bump this back up as that was a great story and very inspiring.....MJJersey !!!! I'd wish Suzet would create a Sticky for ''Success Stories'' as i always find then inspiring as we all need insperation at times in our lives.

Again great story

Old 08-09-2008, 07:36 PM

838 posts, read 1,212,160 times
How do people live off of 1000-1300 calories a day? That's unreal! I lost 25 pounds ina little over two months, without working out, by eating an average of 1700 calories...maybe 1600. It seems a little extreme to go so low.But congrats if it is working for you!

Old 08-11-2008, 02:40 PM

879 posts, read 2,879,921 times
Default Different weight= different caloric needs

Aren't your calorie needs determined by your age, desired weight, and sex?
If so, some people will lose weight at 1800 calories, other at 1200. But I've ready several places that one should never go below 1200 unless they are under doctors supervision.

Anyone know the formula for determining calorie requirements?

Old 08-11-2008, 06:00 PM

838 posts, read 1,212,160 times
They say to take the weight that you want to be.
EXAMPLE: I want to be 120
DIVIDE by 2.2
and MULTIPLY by 24= the amount of calories you should consume per day. IT's a rough average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss