Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 06:02 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,631,075 times

Advertisements

Here's an article and map of the U.S. States and their percentage of obesity. Colorado has the lowest percentage and Mississippi has the highest.

Fattest States 2008: The CalorieLab United States of Obesity Rankings

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 06:18 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
What can we do? Virtually every diet plan, nutrition guide and fitness book in existence states that we need to eat more fruits and vegetables than we do. The USDA recommends 10 or more servings EVERY day. I don't know anybody that actually does that. Frankly, I don't know anybody that actually can do that. Even if you could afford it, where would you be able to get that much fully grown produce, and even if you could get it, would you be able to eat that much? Our groceries have abundant displays of produce, unfortunately, in order to get it to the store so that it looks ripe, it has to be picked well before and can't possibly contain all the nutrients that it is supposed to. Evidenced by the growing participation in forums such as this, there is a growing awareness of the problem. The drug companies are fast to provide "cures" for this disease or that, and if you are lucky enough to survive the side effects, you may well get the disease under control.
The United Health Foundation states that U.S. Census Bureau indicates that 43 countries have life expectancies that exceed the United States, and 40 countries have a lower infant mortality rate than the United States. Check guide4health.com for info and further links.

Do we have a problem? I think so! The growing deluge of supplemental products being pushed and hordes of drug options, puts us into a dilemma. What can we actually do to help our ourselves?

Old 07-07-2008, 07:44 AM

870 posts, read 1,627,387 times
I just got home from a trip to New Hampshire. Man, I didn't realize how fat people were here in Texas until I went up there. There were so many people jogging and riding bikes up there. Texas is just full of fatasses going into McDonalds.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:47 AM

202 posts, read 1,075,637 times
It's all that barbecue they eat, I would be the same way

Old 07-07-2008, 08:18 AM

652 posts, read 2,664,472 times
first of all, the reccomended servings are 2 1/2 cups fruit and 21/2 cups veggies per day. that is not all that hard to achieve. And if you dont have a lot of money you can easily mix it up with canned, fresh, and frozen. Belive me I know what it is like to not have any money and eat oodles of noodles and spag. daily. I could eat 2 1/2 cups at one meal. If you take out all the chips, candy bars, hamburger, etc you'll see how easy it is to stay under the calories you want to consume. several years ago I started putting on weight and loosing energy. the doc did all kinds of tests because I swore I was eating right and exercising. everything was good to go. so I joined a gym. they had free nutritionist counseling. come to find out I was eating so "healthy" I didnt have enough calories coming in.

booker_one: I know what you mean about TX. I moved hear about a yr ago. I gained 35lbs. we ate out a lot because we were living in a hotel. Hubby aways likes to go to small mom and pop places. needless to say. the first 3 months I didnt have hardy any fruits and veggies and everything was covered and smothered! Also I live in walking distance from a school, mcd's, sonic, and small shopping area. I typically walk if I dont have a ton of stuff to carry back. every time I have, I get the weirdest looks and tons of offers for rides home! They look at me like i've gone mad when I say I need the exercise!!!!!!

I just realized i'm rambling!!!!!!!!

Old 07-07-2008, 08:20 AM

652 posts, read 2,664,472 times
I forgot to add this Key Recommendations for the General Population, Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005

Old 07-07-2008, 01:44 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
CHICAGO (AP) -- "For the first time, an influential doctors group is recommending that some children as young as 8 be given cholesterol-fighting drugs to ward off future heart problems.
It is the strongest guidance ever given on the issue by the American Academy of Pediatrics"

This was just reported in the Indystar news this am.
link is IndyStar.com | AP National | The Indianapolis Star (broken link)

Do we have a National problem? I think so. We somehow need to have massive, concentrated education on the nutrition problem and what to do about it. We need the co-operation of Fed Gov, Industry, Celebrities, Mass Media and whoever can help to get this across to as much of our population as possible. Drugs are now being recommended for children as young as 8. Drugs, can this trend be reversed?

Old 07-07-2008, 03:00 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,233,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
What can we do? Virtually every diet plan, nutrition guide and fitness book in existence states that we need to eat more fruits and vegetables than we do. The USDA recommends 10 or more servings EVERY day. I don't know anybody that actually does that. Frankly, I don't know anybody that actually can do that. Even if you could afford it, where would you be able to get that much fully grown produce, and even if you could get it, would you be able to eat that much? Our groceries have abundant displays of produce, unfortunately, in order to get it to the store so that it looks ripe, it has to be picked well before and can't possibly contain all the nutrients that it is supposed to. Evidenced by the growing participation in forums such as this, there is a growing awareness of the problem. The drug companies are fast to provide "cures" for this disease or that, and if you are lucky enough to survive the side effects, you may well get the disease under control.
The United Health Foundation states that U.S. Census Bureau indicates that 43 countries have life expectancies that exceed the United States, and 40 countries have a lower infant mortality rate than the United States. Check guide4health.com for info and further links.

Do we have a problem? I think so! The growing deluge of supplemental products being pushed and hordes of drug options, puts us into a dilemma. What can we actually do to help our ourselves?

This has nothing to do with drugs and supplements....drugs and supplements are not the cause of obesity, many are prescribed BECAUSE of obesity and its inherent accomplices such as hypertension, diabetes and hypercholesterolemia.

You ask " What can we do to help ourselves?"

Simple...

Put down the Ho-Ho's, stop frequenting McDonald's and get off the couch....

For the kids....no soda, no fruit juices, no TV, no video games. Eat at home and limit eating out. Involve them in sports.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:51 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,323,982 times
I will add.....turn off the TV!!!!!!!!!!! Every other ad is for McD, BK, Arbys, IHOP, and so on. The other commercials are for Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, etc. People it's not hard. Don't eat junk and take a walk every once in a while!!!

Old 07-07-2008, 05:59 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,007,312 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't a lot of southern dishes deep fried and use lard to cook with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss