Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2008, 06:47 PM

338 posts, read 614,018 times

Advertisements

I'm almost 18, I weigh 180 lbs and is 5' 9'' (80 kg / 176 cm)
I want to loose couple of pounds because many people now told me that I've gain weight and I always been few kilograms overweight.
What should I do so I can loose weight?
Does diet coke makes me fat? Because I drink 2 - 3 cans/week.
I eat breakfast (Cereal and/or bread with salami) and my dinner after school. I might eat a small chips bag (55 g) for lunch at school.
I eat snacks once or twice a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 08:15 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,167,239 times
If your strictly looking to loose body fat and not gain muscle... do cardio, run or try the eliptical or treadmill....get your heartrate up to it's target range (your doc. or gym teacher should be able to tell you what that is based on your specifics) as this will shed fat and raise your resting metablism so that you are burning more fat even at a resting state. I would also lift weights....this will get you toned and help out a great deal with your metabolism. Eat right, i'd cut out soda's and junk foods like chips You don't have to eat like a vegitarian just cut out all of the foods that are bad for you anway....more veggies and fruits and protein.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:04 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,650,631 times
I would start by journalizing your food consumption. You might find that you are eating more than you think. I tried this experiment myself, and lost 10 lbs. my husband was doing the same through his health club, between this and exercise he lost 10 or so lbs. Our 13 year old son, who is not heavy, but seemed to have the double chin etc going, decided he would write down his food too! he saw was a serving size was supposed to be and how much he was really eating. And, it wasn't just the junk food, it was pizza, or spaghetti, rice side dishes etc. Once he became aware of the portions, coupled with his daily football practices, he has lost almost 6 pounds. It is an excellent starting point for most everyone.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:37 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,167,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
I would start by journalizing your food consumption. You might find that you are eating more than you think. I tried this experiment myself, and lost 10 lbs. my husband was doing the same through his health club, between this and exercise he lost 10 or so lbs. Our 13 year old son, who is not heavy, but seemed to have the double chin etc going, decided he would write down his food too! he saw was a serving size was supposed to be and how much he was really eating. And, it wasn't just the junk food, it was pizza, or spaghetti, rice side dishes etc. Once he became aware of the portions, coupled with his daily football practices, he has lost almost 6 pounds. It is an excellent starting point for most everyone.
This is a good idea....be sure to include what your feeling at the time...ie...sad, happy, depressed, stressed etc... you can narrow down when your eating and why.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:36 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,269,659 times
If you are not at a health risk level for being fat you shouldnt diet. You should improve your food choices and actually eat a real lunch instead of chips.

Breakfast should be fruit and nuts - not sugar or processed cereal
Lunch - anything is pretty much better than chips. Eat a baked potato and a big salad.
Dinner - dont know what that is so I cant really rate it.
Snacks - what are your snacks? junk food? Change it out to health food.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:37 AM

10 posts, read 33,329 times
Hello Mattias,
If realy you want to lose your weight then yes first you have to stop soft drinks because there too much of cholestrol and sugar mixed. That's the main reason of increasing fat in our body. And the second step is you have to eat nutritional food. Avoid fast food,Avoid junk food, Take light diet in a day. And do some exercises for weight lose in your daily routine.Just wanted to let you know about fitnrg.com a free fitness tracking site that also helps track your diet, nutrition, exercises, daily activities, and much more that will help you achieve your fitness and weight loss goals.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:31 AM

377 posts, read 470,588 times
Mattias,

I can relate. I continually battle those extra pounds that come on (and stay on) so easily. If you're 18 and concerned about your health already... good for you! It's so much easier to get in good habits now. If you can find someone in the same position as you, you'll have a great workout partner and friend. Start shopping for one, and then set some goals.

I started out walking, walking everywhere. I even went to malls before they opened and walked around window shopping. I was amazed how many young mothers were there pushing baby strollers to get rid of their pregancy pounds. At night, I would do stretching and leg lifts while I watched tv.

I also followed a few basic food rules; no fast food (none!), no sweet drinks, especially soda (carbonation makes your bones brittle, even if it's diet soda); no chips or fried foods. That was hard because I was constantly in the car at mealtime. I started keeping a recycled butter tub filled with dry cereal (like Kashi, or Special K, or Total mixed with frosted flakes), so I could buy a milk at the drivethru and eat a big bowl of cereal on the run.

After many months, I was in pretty good shape to get a good exercise plan. My goal now is to get to the gym 3 days a week and burn at least 500 calories every time. If I get to the gym a 4th or 5th time in a week, I endulge myself in a treat that is up to 500 calories. I just bought a bikini for the first time in 16 years (I'm 44 now). It's sooooo worth it.

Good luck on your body sculpting. I'll bet you'll look smashing with those long legs. Gosh you're lucky!

Old 10-20-2008, 11:46 AM

78,437 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Mattias, I am 38 and 5'9 and am fairly muscular. I have dropped from 220 to 202 now and am going to get down to about 180 or so as a goal (Been at it about 6-7 weeks).

I also got into shape back when I was 22 years old and was 185 and got down to about 165 at which point I was in excellent shape.

Advice? Well, at your age you can get away with the junk food if kept in reasonable check so you don't have to be a nut like me and cut out ALL bad foods. LIFT FREE WEIGHTS and get a workout partner who knows what they are doing. Throw in *some* cardio to burn fat but the free weights will give you the body that a young guy wants to have.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss